When you don't grease the caliper pins....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

These were the brake pads off my caravan. They only had 10000 KM on them. Yes merely 6000 miles. The last person to service the brakes failed to grease the caliper pins. I just don't understand how someone could just throw in new pads and not check everything else.

I had a similar experience when I let someone else do my brake job as it was cold winter and I did not have a garage at that time. $600 and a lousy job. Car started pulling to one side badly after about 3-4 weeks and I took it back to them. They changed pads out to other side to see if it was the same. Needless to say when weather got better I changed them out and did it myself. I also asked them to change brake fluid. They said they forgot to do it but it did not need it. I have owned the car about 5 years and never did it so I know it needed it. When I changed the brake fluid it was dark and nasty. They did not even look at it. I would rather pay more for a decent job than less and save money for poor workmanship.

My personal experience with my own brake pads (with greased caliper pins) is that they look like that every 6,000 miles from normal wear and tear. Over the past few years, I've switched to Akebono ASP brake pads and they now have over 40,000 miles on them with about 1/2 life left.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Got the receipt?

Those were installed before I bought the vehicle.

I just did mine after changing rotors and pads, cleaned out calipers well and put new rubber gaskets and new silicone lube. I had to unstick a slide pin using a propane torch. Nothing beats taking the time and spending an extra bit to do the job super well.

usually you have to chose the part that is least costly to replace and then put the one that will wear fast. If you heavy duty everything it will cost a lot in repair. we had This discussion where i worked before. Boss didnt want to change s cam. In the end we ended up with plastic bushing for s cam. So bushing is dead and scam is good.cost almost nothing to replce bushing. Last i checked car brake are never preventive maintened

Originally Posted By: Run
These were the brake pads off my caravan. They only had 10000 KM on them. Yes merely 6000 miles. The last person to service the brakes failed to grease the caliper pins. I just don't understand how someone could just throw in new pads and not check everything else.

Ever hear people on here talk about doing a quick "pad slap"?

Originally Posted By: Olas
When caliper slide pins aren't greased, it's obvious that the owner got ripped off paying for a half @ssed job.
DIY FTW!!

I'm curious-the original poster doesn't know if the previous owner had it done by a shop or it was a "DIY". There is the possibility that it was a DIY job.

I hate to hear about anyone being ripped off especially a fellow BITOGer.

However, the question, "How could anybody take money and do bad work or none at all?", shouldn't be asked.

NEWS FLASH: A percentage of people are lying, filthy, thieving dogs.

When ineptitude can be used as a defense you gotta look to the sucker (buyer) at least a little bit.

There's also the chance a wrong grease was used eg normal wheel bearing or chassis grease, which turned hard. Last guy was "trying" but failed.

OP should also check his rear drums, see what's going on, if it's dead in there.

Originally Posted By: Kira
One more time....It's Syl-Glide (sp?) to be used on the pins, yes?

Is clear silicone grease OK?

Just ok doesn't cut it on the pins, for me at least. Get the good stuff and don't worry about it.

It's kind of important to be able to stop.

I like my Brembos on the Gen Coupe. No pins to grease. You really can just do a pad slap.

Huh, am I missing something here? Is the broken brake pad attributed to not greasing slider pins? Really???

On my Accent two years ago I checked out the original pads at 90k miles. They looked good, I took the passenger side apart and greased the pins. Left the drivers side alone. Over the winter I started seeing brake dust on the drivers side wheel. Sure enough in the spring the pin had seized and wore down the pads on that side. The passenger side pad was still good. I bet if I had greased the drivers side I could have gotten 50k miles out of the pads.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Huh, am I missing something here? Is the broken brake pad attributed to not greasing slider pins? Really???

By the looks of the picture, the pins had stuck in their bores causing the pads to overheat and wear rapidly. If you look at them, you'll see a redish brown color and lots of black stuff caked on. That's typical of a stuck piston or pin. Another thing that points to a stuck pin is that just one pad is completely zorched. The other pins may have been sticking too, but allowed some movement.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

overheating could cause that. also, stuck pins cause excessive wear. 10k miles out of a set of pads is usually excessive wear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back