DODGE RAM GUYS!...Tips/quirks on 2005 RAM DAYTONA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if there are any Dodge Ram "Guys" here on BITOG. I have zero backgound on mid-2000's Rams and am about own one.

Here's the story...

My father became paraplegic from armpits down ...two-three years ago after a heart problem, the same which killed John Ritter the actor nearly instantly. This old man of mine is a tough bugger I guess, however things are winding down. His 2005 Ram Daytona 2door 4wd Go Mango Orange 5.7L Hemi has sat and been periodically driven over that time. It has been outdoors for about two of those years. Not badly neglected, has been driven by my BIL every few weeks. Gas kept fresh oil has been Dino changed well since purchased. Is at 100k now, it was not a garage queen but it wasn't off roaded or beat up by a teenage owner.

He wants to "let it go" now. He wants me to have it. Technically, I could use it and have use for it. Very sad but he has come to grips with the likely limited time he has due to some medical issues.

I have never owned a Ram let alone a 4wd. I know it has had a few recall items done as he is a blue collar guy and a responsible owner. I believe a rear end pinion nut retainer clip was installed in the pumpkin as a recall. I assume that means the rear end gear oil was changed (correctly?) by the stealer-ship.

I'm wondering:
1. Other than cleaning it, changing oil, filters right away.... What is needed to safely welcome it back to daily service?
2. Are there any 100k items that I had better have done before an issue arises?? Spark plugs? Valve lash check?
3. Are there any QUIRKS or known failure issues on this generation HEMI, the 2005 Ram body/frame/wiring or its 4wd transfer case?

Anything at all will help. Any tips, warnings , any must-have tools.

Just to give a complete "download" of what I know at this point ... Here's anything else I can think of....
A pull to the left mildly under braking (ideas anyone?)....and a slight tick (rocker arm?) at idle. Not an exhaust tick. Passenger power window unresponsive (luckily it is in full up position).

The engine will drop valve seats if over heated. Watch your coolant level and the radiator for leaks.the electrical condenser fan is a common failure.

The blend doors break a lot.often when one breaks it shuts the whole AC ventilation system down till it's fixed. It's computerized and it knows if something is wrong.usually the fresh air door breaks first

Last edited:
<y father in lw has one and seems to replace freeze plugs alot. I have never had to replace one in any of my vehicles so I am not sure what his problem is. He lives in Louisville so not the coldest and it is garage stored.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The engine will drop valve seats if over heated. Watch your coolant level and the radiator for leaks.the electrical condenser fan is a common failure.

The blend doors break a lot.often when one breaks it shuts the whole AC ventilation system down till it's fixed. It's computerized and it knows if something is wrong.usually the fresh air door breaks first

Ah, I see. I last drove it a few days ago. 50F temps ambient. It warmed up fully but reasonable looking needle spot on the temp guage. Although she did read at the "add" mark when I pulled into a level parking lot with engine running. Not sure if these Dodges are meant to be read at operating temp or when cool (as my Toyotas are). Either way I suspect it be wise to add the few cups of coolant to the reservoir to bring it nearer to middle zone.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
My father became paraplegic from armpits down ...two-three years ago after a heart problem, the same which killed John Ritter the actor nearly instantly. This old man of mine is a tough bugger I guess, however things are winding down.

He wants to "let it go" now. He wants me to have it. Technically, I could use it and have use for it. Very sad but he has come to grips with the likely limited time he has due to some medical issues.
I'm sorry to hear that, I really am.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
My father became paraplegic from armpits down ...two-three years ago after a heart problem, the same which killed John Ritter the actor nearly instantly.

I'm sorry to hear that, I really am.

Thanks, it has taught me a lot about life. Including some healthy pessimism lol. I hope to honor him by keeping this truck going. Thanks anyone for your Ram tips and for your patience with my likely numerous "how do I?..." type posts here on BITOG.

Worth checking on any 2003-2005 Ram 1500,

if the rear axle is a common Dodge 9-1/4" ring/pinion and equipped with a limited slip differential,
there a small clips holdling the clutch pack 'ears' that can break, sending chunks of metal floating around into the rear axle assembly / lube.

Happened to my 2004 Ram 1500 within the first year, at less than 10K miles.

In some rare cases, pieces of those clips have lodged themselves between the ring and pinion, causing the whole axle to lock up at speed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back