How often to do inductin service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do induction services at work and of course we are supposed to upsell those services whenever we can. But realistically how often would you do an at home service wth sea foam or what have you. Looking forward to your opinions and thoughts on if it's beneficial and if so how often.

Never if it isnt needed.

If you pull the intake and see black junk on the TB, might not be a bad move to wipe it out a bit.

How rigorous an induction service are you talking? A can of spray and a wad of paper towels, or something more stringent?

Well at home for preventative maintenance I would just speak it in a vacuum line or in the tb with the engine running. But at work we have a thing that you pour the treatment into and you apply air pressure to it and blow it in the throttle body with engine running.

I just cleaned the throttle body on my truck, it was gunky. But I suspect that gunk had been there a long long time before it caused problems (and it's unknown if that was the issue, as I shotgunned it on the repair). Not sure if it's needed if nothing is wrong. I might do it again, but it's dirt simple to do on mine, and my time is "free".

At the moment I'm unsold on this service. Maybe certain DI cars need it, maybe some others; but too many motor on with never getting it.

Never a money waster and own cars 200k+. Never issues that that would have helped.

I follow car maker recommendations in manual or olm. Not what a mechanic or Internet tells me.

I don't think it's something that needs doing unless there's a problem you're trying to fix. Although, when I worked at a Subaru dealer back in 2000/2001, every Subie that came in for service at the 12,500km recommended intervals got an aerosol can of "Subaru upper cylinder cleaner" (or something like that). You'd pull a vacuum hose, and slowly empty the contents of the can into the manifold, with the engine running. Made a truck load of smoke, and stunk really bad! I really don't know how necessary it was. I've never done it with any of my own vehicles.

Originally Posted By: hpb
I don't think it's something that needs doing unless there's a problem you're trying to fix. Although, when I worked at a Subaru dealer back in 2000/2001, every Subie that came in for service at the 12,500km recommended intervals got an aerosol can of "Subaru upper cylinder cleaner" (or something like that). You'd pull a vacuum hose, and slowly empty the contents of the can into the manifold, with the engine running. Made a truck load of smoke, and stunk really bad! I really don't know how necessary it was. I've never done it with any of my own vehicles.

Had so many people recommend that Subaru stuff to me, it's supposed to be very good at what it apparently does!
It fixed an extremely rough idle and hard start on a mates Nissan.

At 200k miles, I replaced the intake manifold gasket on my Corolla. It was very dirty and took a while to wipe as much gunk out as I could. Also, removed the intake air snorkel and leaned the throttle body which was also very dirty. Now, I perform a cleaning and include the MAF sensor every 50k - 100k miles.

Once a year, on a cold engine, i take the throttle body pipe off, open the butterfly and spray carb/fi cleaner into and around the throttle body and butterfly. Then i turn the engine over a few times without letting it start. I wait 5 minutes then crank it up.

None of my engines are DI, if i had a DI engine, i would do this more often.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
my malibu is DI, im thinking every 50k I "mite" do one.
why run all that through your engine?

Remove the intake/throttle body/IACV, clean them thoroughly and then put it all back together after its cleaned.

If your unable to do that, I'm sure its better that you leave it alone then try a magic bottle cleaner.

The easiest and most effective long term induction cleaning you can do is also known as 'modify the PCV and EGR so they don't dump all their [censored] in your inlet tract.
Easy!

Originally Posted By: Olas
The easiest and most effective long term induction cleaning you can do is also known as 'modify the PCV and EGR so they don't dump all their [censored] in your inlet tract.
Easy!

That's easier said than done though. Also regarding some of the above comments I'm not sure but id imagine cleaning it once in awhilen isn't a bad idea considering how much carbon forms in there over time. Carbon will decrease fuel mileage I'm sure.

Disabling EGR and PCV I'd think would trip a CEL. I guess you could bolt them back up when inspection time comes around, assuming it doesn't go into a limp mode of some sort.

Watch "Chris Fix" videos on YouTube he tests all cleaners and boroscopes the results. Which are disappointing to say the least.

Unless you have a sticky TB and you are simply cleaning that, it is a monumental waste of time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back