Loose suspension on Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was changing the oil in the Mustang (07 V6) and noticed this bar is loose. I can wiggle it back and forth with my hand. Her car was hit on this side a couple years ago,would that have had anything do do with it? And if so,why didn't the shop catch it? Is this something that has to be addressed asap? I've never had this part come loose on any car before.

Here's a pic (I took a video of me wiggling it up and down,but I can't figure out how to imbed the video here). It's that skinny metal bar at the very bottom that has that upward pointed bolt that is attached to the part of the suspension that the wheel attaches to.

b8pngw.jpg

That's your tie rod end, connects the steering rack to the spindle and wheel. Basically what steers the wheel.

From my experience it's normal with some wear to be able to rotate or twist it some as it's a ball and socket joint on both ends, however if it's rattling or loose enough to actually move around then it will need replaced. Once worn out excessively it will be a safety hazard.

The picture is of a tie-rod end. If the play is in the joint where it turns 90 degrees you can replace the tie rod end, if the play is at the other end it might be the inner tie rod or something in the rack.

It's probably the tie rod end, you should get an alignment as part of the repair.

Yeah it's a tie rod end and it's not from getting "hit on this side a couple years ago", it's worn out.

That's a tie rod end (as said above). The connection under the rubber boot is a ball and socket (same type of connection as a "ball joint", but they use different names to eliminate confusion).

Make a fist with your left hand, now wrap the fingers of your right hand around the fist. You can rotate your fist inside the fingers. That's the action of a working ball and socket joint.

Now loosen your fingers and rattle your fist inside the fingers. That's the action of a worn ball and socket (or ball joint).

That should give you a clue what to look for, it shouldn't have any "play" or slop. One of mine had about 1/32" of play and I replaced it last fall.

That boot is badly torn. That lets dirt & water in, and grease out. It wouldn't surprize me if it needed to be replaced.

Last edited:
The tie rod outer end boot looks torn which might explain it feeling loose.

I'd get it fixed ASAP. If that fails while on the highway youll lose steering to that wheel.

One of the downfalls of the non greasable suspension joint.Wouldn't surprise me if the ball joints are shot as well.

Last edited:
That "skinny metal bar" is usually called a tie rod, and the part with the "upward pointed bolt" is usually called a tie rod end. They wear out and it's not terribly difficult to replace them. However, since you're not even sure what the parts are called, I suggest that you take it to a shop so it will be fixed correctly.

Going on 10 years and 13,000 posts on this forum and you don't know what a tie rod is? Whoa!

Time for a new one. I would have both sides replaced. You'll need an alignment afterwards. Very important to have it done, could come loose and lose steering while driving. It'll also wear out that tire.

Count the threads showing before loosening that nut on the right. Put the new tie rod end on with the same amount of threads showing; that'll get your tow-in close enough to get the car to the alignment shop. Being that the car is in Texas and there's no corrosion, you probably won't even need a puller.

How many miles on the car? If you are willing to do the r&r yourself, you can save some cash by doing all the steering joints at the same time and only paying for the alignment once.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
That "skinny metal bar" is usually called a tie rod, and the part with the "upward pointed bolt" is usually called a tie rod end. They wear out and it's not terribly difficult to replace them. However, since you're not even sure what the parts are called, I suggest that you take it to a shop so it will be fixed correctly.

To those people advising him to DIY, ^THIS is the correct answer...

Not a lot of labor to replace, and toe needs set anyway. Not worth doing yourself.

You should be feeling some play in the wheel as you change directions turning it back and forth.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Going on 10 years and 13,000 posts on this forum and you don't know what a tie rod is? Whoa!

Time for a new one. I would have both sides replaced. You'll need an alignment afterwards. Very important to have it done, could come loose and lose steering while driving. It'll also wear out that tire.

Haha I know right! :p Honestly though,this car has been such a total pos,it's literally falling to pieces. I've never had to even touch a single suspension part on any car I've ever had,so I'm definitely uninformed on this part of an automobile. I've never had a car fall apart the way this one has. I swear,looking under the chassis,it looks like it was built out of scrap metal pieced together from the cheapest junkyard throwaway rejects,assembled by a little kid.

Weird thing is,steering is still tight as a drum,no rattles or noises,and both front tires look perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back