Ujoint grease story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,i went to Canadian Tire for a simple grease job for my truck ujoints and was told its going to be a hour before you get in for service.I said ok.The guy was acting weird looking at me from behind the counter and i said something wrong?He was just standing there staring at me for 30 seconds as if i did something stupid lol..he said i will be right back.Ten minutes later he said he talked to his boss and the boss said it would be 25 bucks for two zerk fittings for the grease.I said its a simple minute job and he said we treat this as a oil change.i told him you are out of your mind.So off i go to jiffy lube and got my joints greased for five bucks and got treated like a true customer.Last week i was in at Canadian Tire and ment to buy the grease gun but i ended up getting side tracked and forgot.Next week i will go somewhere else to by one and have it handy.Im telling ya this guy was creeeeepy lol

Its what we call canadian tire valet service for vip customer. He didnt offer you to call you back when your car is ready?

No i had the truck in the parking lot and was waiting for them to take my keys until this nut told me it will be 25 bucks for two zurk fittings to be greased up

Why purchase a grease gun from them ? ,Go to another parts store and buy one

Last edited:
If you were in for other service, they would have done it for free. To bring vehicle in and put it on the hoist just to lube 2 grease fittings takes time and you are going to have to pay

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
If you were in for other service, they would have done it for free. To bring vehicle in and put it on the hoist just to lube 2 grease fittings takes time and you are going to have to pay

Try to make a customer understand that.

Why would you give a shop the chance to screw you over for something so simple? I have had terrible results from bringing my vehicles in for ANY type of work, seems a "new" problem always develops shortly after. Only thing they go in for is tires and alignments...

Grease guns are under $20 and grease is under $5. On a truck its plenty easy to slip under there without a lift.

I know you guys are right and maybe i was in such a hurry as i had a lot of running around to do today but i will buy the grease gun.Lesson learned about today.Past practice Canadian Tire used to do small things like that but times has changed i guess.So yes i have no excuse and i agree with you guys

You were seriously going to wait an hour to get a little grease? Why not just grease them when you get the oil changed?

I did my own oil change in my driveway a couple weeks ago.And i was going to wait for that hour go by just to browse the store (and)buy the grease gun while i was there but instead i left the place when told its 25 bucks for the job and went to jiffy lube instead.I was there when they opened the doors that morning so i can go about my running around most of the day..so yes lesson learned lol

Plus i dont have any time to do my own grease job all that weekend because the stuff i was doing and bad weather coming through.

As much as I think Canadian Tire's auto service departments is a joke, it's not unreasonable for a business to ask $25 for that job. It takes time for a mechanic to find an open bay, take the vehicle, jack it up, perform the service, and invoice for it. There's also the opportunity cost as they could be using that time and space performing more profitable repairs.

If you have issue with that, you could just get a grease gun and do it yourself in 5 mins.

Is it easy to grease those fittings? Some driveshafts are a royal pain. I'd install the permanently lubed joints in those vehicles. It's surprising your truck didn't come with them. My 84 Chevy K10 came with zerkless ujoints.

Ya you are not kidding its a joke.I went there last year to buy two ujoints and go figure,i thought i had new ones in the box and when i got home and opened both boxes the red flags went up.The two i purchased were not the ones i asked for because the numbers didnt match up.According to the box i had the right ones but the ujoints didnt match on that size because when i took them back.. the counter guy told me they are the right ones,i said these are the returned ones by customers and the parts got mix up in each box..he got out a bunch in a crate and said find the ones you need.I said no thanks and get me the ones off the shelf.When i looked at them they were clean and untouched with the parts in a plastic bag.I agree about what you said about finding a bay etc. no question on that..gone of the good ol days

No its not a pain the way its set up to grease them.Just spin the drive shaft to do the next one thats all.The originals had the permanent ones but the replacement wasnt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back