Returning to stock size pickup tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 1998 F-150 recently. The guy who had it is running 265-75-16's, and they are worn out. Since the truck has a 4.2L V6, and I don't drive off road much at all, I want to return to the stock size of 235-70-16.

This should help the V6, restore the speedo to correct readings, and improve ride quality. Any comments or thoughts or experiences in doing this?

The circumference is important for drivability and speedo accuracy, and the sidewall is important for comfort.

Use www.willtheyfit.com to compare dimensions of different sizes, you might find something more suited to your requirement.

Even though that's quite a change in size, the old adage still applies: There is more difference between makes and models of tires than there is between the same tire of different sizes.

Nut directionally you'll be going towards a loss in fuel economy, worse ride, and better handling. Every thing else is more the difference in make and model - keeping in mind that even thopse 3 things cane be overwhelmed by the difference in make and model.

If you're not lugging it as much I expect fuel economy to be the same except maybe at highway cruise. I say go for it.

Truck will be quicker with smaller tires, lower final gear ratio. Will probably get better MPG because engine torque is now where the factory tune is. Ride? It might get better, all depends on what the other tires were rated at. If you go with a P235/70x16 truck tire size it should ride just fine. Unless you need a LT rated tire for load hauling/towing etc., your truck should be just like the factory designed it.

Yes, doing so would be an upgrade from the size you have now. Keep a close watch on your engine oil, look for signs of coolant if it is an early year 1998.

On my old F150 I actually ran 285/60/16s and then switched to 235/70/16s because I was short on cash and needed new tires.

The 235s looked puny, but steered so effortlessly and I got GREAT gas mileage.

A good compromise would be 255/70/16 which is the OEM spec for the "Sport" edition trucks. A bit beefier and taller but a nice middle ground.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Yes, doing so would be an upgrade from the size you have now. Keep a close watch on your engine oil, look for signs of coolant if it is an early year 1998.

Luckily, it was built 4-6-98, well after the gasket issues were resolved on 1-16-98. Great catch there.

The truck has sloppy handling right now, I can feel the tires size causes some of it. Also, since it is a V6, I think stock sizes will help engine lugging as well as handling.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Luckily, it was built 4-6-98, well after the gasket issues were resolved on 1-16-98. Great catch there.

Ok, those 4.2's are pretty tough engine's once you get past this issue.

It will wake the truck up a little bit. I owned two F150's that came from the factory with this size. They looked OK on the 4x2 and too small on the 4x4 (my opinion only).

On my 4x4, I went to a 245/75/16, and then the 265/75/16. Fuel mileage and overall pep took a hit with both size increases, and I had the 4.6 V8.

So long as you don't mind the look, they'll work great...

Ok, those 4.2's are pretty tough engine's once you get past this issue.

I am really glad to hear that. This is the first 4.2L I have ever owned, so I was skeptical about it.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

So long as you don't mind the look, they'll work great...

Lots and lots of tall trucks in TX, but I actually like the looks of stock height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back