Modern dinner bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a family here that years ago used a very loud dinner bell to call the kids (6) in for dinner. They would be spread all over the neighborhood or in a nearby field playing games.

Today one of those little kids still lives in the old family home after the parents have passed on. He has a modern dinner bell to call his 3 kids to dinner. He unplugs the WiFi.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Hey...at least they're outside!! That's better than most kids.

Mark...I think he means they are parked on the sofa and he unplugs the internet.

Originally Posted By: TheOnlySarge
Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Hey...at least they're outside!! That's better than most kids.

Mark...I think he means they are parked on the sofa and he unplugs the internet.

Yes.

My oldest son, who is 25, recently had an eye exam. The doc told him he had perfectly shaped lenses and that is very rare now a days. He said for proper lens development you have to spend a lot of time outside, exposed to sunlight as a child. I had never heard this before but he sure did stay outside a lot as a kid....and still does.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
He unplugs the WiFi.

Most of the kids that I know are so addicted to the web and are so web savvy that they'd probably just latch on to an unsecure hot spot from a neighbor and still stay away from the dinner table.

Why didn't he just download the dinner bell app from Google Play?

and why do those "little kids" have PHONES?

Last edited:
haha!

"You don't have to eat with us but you're 'off the grid' until we're finished."

Come and get it before I throw it to the hogs.
smile.gif

No bells for us, we got whistled for. Parents who grew up with cattle and sheep dogs knew how to call their kids home. Each kid in the neighbourhood knew who was being called.

I had a watch as a kid, and knew I had to be home by a certain time. The only encouragement I needed was a reminder that "you'll be very hungry if you miss your dinner"

Last edited:
When I was a kid the village had a curfew siren that sounded every night at 9:00 pm. Kids under (about) 15 years had to go home. That's how our parents knew where we were.

In the summer most of us stayed out all day, only showing up for meals and of course after the curfew siren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back