Need to pass smog Cal '07 Malibu p0430 code

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a p0430 code. I need to smog it this month. any way to maybe clean the cat,assuming that's the cause,so that the light stays off for a few driving cycles? Any of those "pour in the tank" concoctions work? This is in Cal.

You're asking how to break the law.

It's an easy fix. Buy new carb compliant cats and quit ruining the air quality.

I might get it up to temp and then do a good Italian tuneup.
Cat codes usually mean a bad cat. You could use a matching sparkplug antifouler for diagostic purposes
wink.gif
. Tthis would go on the down stream 02 sensors past the cats.

The smog inspectors probably know this trick and may spot it if you attempt to leave them on there. But its not that old of a car.

Last edited:
I've cleared emmission code by dumping 3 cans of Berrymans chemtool. Unplug your battery to reset the code. If they plug in at this point, the computer will not be in the "ready mode" and you will fail. Each car has a certain mix of different types of driving to make it ready (drive 30mph x certain amount of time, repeat, idle 5 minutes, 5 start and stop cycles, you get the idea). Look your cycle up, each car might be different. When you're done, smog it immediately.

Have you changed out the O2 sensors? Changing them out fixed the Cat CEL code in my Corolla.

Get a new cat. And replace the oxygen sensors, too.

I see in another thread you have the 3.5L engine. You should've mentioned it in this thread too
smile.gif

US sellers won't ship non-CARB cats to California, but some Canadian sellers might be willing to do so.

This is my area of expertise. You'll get that code at just 10% below ideal, so you're not killing trees getting around it. If you throw a gallon of mineral spirits in about a half tank of gas that code will go away after a 2-3 driving cycles.

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
I've cleared emmission code by dumping 3 cans of Berrymans chemtool. Unplug your battery to reset the code. If they plug in at this point, the computer will not be in the "ready mode" and you will fail. Each car has a certain mix of different types of driving to make it ready (drive 30mph x certain amount of time, repeat, idle 5 minutes, 5 start and stop cycles, you get the idea). Look your cycle up, each car might be different. When you're done, smog it immediately.

Rubbing alcohol is a lot less expensive.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
You're asking how to break the law.

It's an easy fix. Buy new carb compliant cats and quit ruining the air quality.

You must have a very fruitful and lovely life.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I would replace the O2 sensor, before the cat. I bet the cat is fine and the sensor is done.

Not likely if P0430 is the only code he has.

Listen to Gasbuggy, he knows what he is talking about. Other guys are blowing smoke and do not understand how and when computer declares P0430 code. There are enough peer reviewed scientific articles available on internet if you want to overcome your ignorance. Study failure modes of typical O2 sensor and O2 storing capacity of catalytic converter and understand the algorithm and FTP associated with P0420/P0430. Trust me, it is lot simpler just to listen to Gasbuggy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Listen to Gasbuggy, he knows what he is talking about. Other guys are blowing smoke and do not understand how and when computer declares P0430 code. There are enough peer reviewed scientific articles available on internet if you want to overcome your ignorance. Study failure modes of typical O2 sensor and O2 storing capacity of catalytic converter and understand the algorithm and FTP associated with P0420/P0430. Trust me, it is lot simpler just to listen to Gasbuggy.

All I know is I had a P0420 code, hooked up a OBDII reader and my O2 waveforms were not as they should be. Changed out the O2 sensors for $50 each and the O2 sensor waveforms returned to normal and my CEL went away. Why would change out the most expensive part first?

Originally Posted By: Leo99

All I know is I had a P0420 code, hooked up a OBDII reader and my O2 waveforms were not as they should be. Changed out the O2 sensors for $50 each and the O2 sensor waveforms returned to normal and my CEL went away. Why would change out the most expensive part first?

If the oxygen sensors were no good, they'd have their own codes too. P0136 or whatever. But a P0420/30 with no oxygen sensor codes almost always indicates a bad cat.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Leo99

If the oxygen sensors were no good, they'd have their own codes too. P0136 or whatever. But a P0420/30 with no oxygen sensor codes almost always indicates a bad cat.

Not entirely true. Had the same code on my Mustang and replacing the O2 cleared it. The worst part I passed smog well below the threshold but could not pass smog because of the CEL.

A typical failure mode of an O2 sensor is to become lazy. I do not understand how a failed O2 sensor can end up becoming over active. I am willing to concede that point if somebody can provide scientific explanation.

OF COURSE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT POST CAT O2 SENSOR HERE. If you are fixing P0420 by changing the PRE CAT sensor, then yes, it is possible to fix the P0420 code that way. In this case PRE CAT has gone lazy but has not yet thrown the O2 code.

Last edited:
Also when you compare PRE and POS O2 sensor waveform, you will know which is causing the P0420. You need to know what a good PRE waveform is, and what a good POST waveform is.

I changed both O2 sensors but it was the PRE waveform that was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back