BMW Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2011 328xi. We've had it for 3 1/2 years, 75,000 miles. For the most part it's been a reliable car. A few days ago wife noticed it was taking 4 or 5 seconds for it to start when cold but fires right up when hot. Local shop said battery was fine and it was probably a fuel pump or check valve. Took it to a Indy Shop in Lexington that is highly rated with great reviews. They diagnosed it as a Fuel Pressure Regulator that is attached over the fuel tank....(car has access under back seat). They are ordering the part and the quote is $490 for parts and labor. They said it's a 2 hr job plus the time they took today to diagnose.

I'm finding the part online for $140....Does this sound a bit on the high side? I'm pretty comfortable doing most maintenance items but I would rather experts fool around with a tank full of gas and fumes.

Looks like their labour is ~115hr assuming the part is priced similarly, which is pretty much par for the course for a BMW dealer or good indy IMHO.

For my bmw shop its a tad high imo, but reputation is everything. If you feel confident their diagnosis is correct and trust their reviews id do it.

$140 part plus 2.5 hr at around $120/hr and then some fees and taxes, and you're close.

If there's an access door up top it's enough of a pain to have to pull the seat without busting anything. If it's a drop the tank type job, that's a horrible job to DIY.

Sounds reasonable to me. I'd always pay someone to deal with a fuel tank anyway. They're a bear by yourself, even if you have decent loft at home.

Have them check the Valvetronic eccentric sensor for oil as well. I have seen oil creep alllll the way from the sensor to the DME through the harness and cause similar symptoms.

Thanks for all the comments. I definitely do not want to be fooling around with an opened up fuel tank. I'm sure there are grounding procedures/equipment I am unaware of.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Thanks for all the comments. I definitely do not want to be fooling around with an opened up fuel tank. I'm sure there are grounding procedures/equipment I am unaware of.

If it's Motorsport I'd have to say that they do have a good reputation- I've never used them as I live @90 minutes away. Are you a BMW CCA member?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back