$2000 in recommended services for 2013 45k Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nitronoise
WOW I have an OLD jeep , and This is just absurd RUN don't WALK away from this dealer , 31.00 for an air filter which usually runs 5-8 dollars ,,,,,,, I have seen the light and glad I can do most of my work myself to save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

I just looked- my shop cost for a Wix filter from O'Reilly is $12.25. If I figure in a 35% mark up, that makes it $18.85. I can see an OE filter listing at $31.00

Originally Posted By: Nitronoise
WOW I have an OLD jeep , and This is just absurd RUN don't WALK away from this dealer , 31.00 for an air filter which usually runs 5-8 dollars ,,,,,,, I have seen the light and glad I can do most of my work myself to save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

I got a Motorcraft air filter for my cherokee for $2.50 on Rock Auto.

My ten year old truck has never darkened the doors of a dealership since I bought it new ten years ago. I do all the work myself.

At two years of age, it needed a thermostat. Though the truck was still under warranty, I elected to change out the stat myself to ensure it was done properly.

Those $17.99 oil change specials are just loss leaders. The dealership & quick-lube places use them to reel in potential suckers, I mean customers

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Is that thing a Jeep or a Toilet?.....seems to be a lot of flushing going on.

lol.gif
lol.gif

Differential flush just sounds scammy and bullish.

Last edited:
Are we sure this wasn't a GHT type that didn't fill everything with saltwater and sand 4wheeling in the bay?

I had a guy come in with a 4 runner after getting stuck at a creek crossing at the beach and then sitting overnight at high tide. Transmission and engine were full sand and saltwater and it needed everything flushed thoroughly.

Don't forget it's a Jeep and there is no shortage of young and dumb.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata

lol.gif
lol.gif

I dont think it is a "jeep" thing, heck on the Jeep Forum there is a thread on how Jeep service sucks on the WK2's Grands. Former Audi owner says all he wants is the dealer to e:mail him to send his Overland in and do the 15k 30K 60K etc services like his former Audi dealer does. When ask how much he was chared by Audi dealer for said wallet flushes, he said he never got out for underr 600-1000$ and he really didnt know what they did or cared since in his opinion it must be needed and he wants top notch customer service and Jeep doesnt do that LOL

Funny part their ar other owners upset that service managers recommend services they feel they dont need or the dealer uses 3rd party mailers to remind owners ffor service etc.

My neighbor has a GTI and tells me all about his VW wallet flushes, like 600$ for 4 plugs, air filter, oil/filter change, CAF and tire rotation. So no, I wouldnt say it is just a Jeep thing.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Most of the people I know who own or have had Jeeps.....confirm that they are "garage queens".....with very poor reliability.

Uh... not even remotely true. Both my XJs were driven hard and heavily. The '99 currently has 175,000 trouble-free miles on it.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Are we sure this wasn't a GHT type that didn't fill everything with saltwater and sand 4wheeling in the bay?

I had a guy come in with a 4 runner after getting stuck at a creek crossing at the beach and then sitting overnight at high tide. Transmission and engine were full sand and saltwater and it needed everything flushed thoroughly.

Possible... but one thing about Jeeps is that even the 2wd models (at least the rear-drive ones, won't testify to things like the Patriot/Compass and Renegade toys) tend to have high-mounted diffy vent tubes, trans vent tubes, etc. My old 4x2 XJ and my wife's newer 4x2 WK2 both have the same high-mount vent tubes as their 4x4 brethren. The rear diff vents up by the fuel tank filler door, the front and X-fer cases on 4x models vent high up on the firewall under the hood near the brake booster. Its actually kinda hard (I won't *quite* say impossible) to get water in the gearboxes on a Wrangler unless you're arse is also sitting in river water in the driver's seat. Definitely your feet.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I finally found a good dealer!

Please share! I am hoping I don't need to go back for warranty work but just in case...

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata

lol.gif
lol.gif

I dont think it is a "jeep" thing, heck on the Jeep Forum there is a thread on how Jeep service sucks on the WK2's Grands. Former Audi owner says all he wants is the dealer to e:mail him to send his Overland in and do the 15k 30K 60K etc services like his former Audi dealer does. When ask how much he was chared by Audi dealer for said wallet flushes, he said he never got out for underr 600-1000$ and he really didnt know what they did or cared since in his opinion it must be needed and he wants top notch customer service and Jeep doesnt do that LOL

Funny part their ar other owners upset that service managers recommend services they feel they dont need or the dealer uses 3rd party mailers to remind owners ffor service etc.

My neighbor has a GTI and tells me all about his VW wallet flushes, like 600$ for 4 plugs, air filter, oil/filter change, CAF and tire rotation. So no, I wouldnt say it is just a Jeep thing.

I just thought it was funny that every other line on the estimate had the word flush in it....they want to flush everything.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Please share! I am hoping I don't need to go back for warranty work but just in case...
I just made a post, seems they did a good job other than not changing the oil filter when replacing the oil pan gasket and timing chain cover. Seems kind of cheesy but not the end of the world.

It's Bill Luke btw.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I just made a post, seems they did a good job other than not changing the oil filter when replacing the oil pan gasket and timing chain cover. Seems kind of cheesy but not the end of the world.

It's Bill Luke btw.

Interesting, I wasn't impressed with the sales experience there...

Dealer I've been using has a nice sales experience but has left me wanting on their service. Two different departments, different managers, etc.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Most of the people I know who own or have had Jeeps.....confirm that they are "garage queens".....with very poor reliability.

Uh... not even remotely true. Both my XJs were driven hard and heavily. The '99 currently has 175,000 trouble-free miles on it.

Check out the current Consumer Reports. They get their reliability information from thousands of Jeep owners.

You must be the exception.

Check out the current Consumer Reports. They get their reliability information from thousands of Jeep owners.

You'll get the standard answer how CR, JD Power, etc are all wrong and why they are wrong.

And yet I got the buying guide from my Dad and looked at the car ratings. Seem to echo what we see here and other places.
Ford DCT vehicles get black marks for transmission reliability.
GM timing chain issue engines get black marks, etc.
Mopars are generally poorly rated.

While people's experience differs, it seems like they mostly get things right. Brand loyalists will excuse lots of things to keep the idea theirs is tops.

To bring it back to the OP - lots of those services are not needed. But I'm a firm believer in 30k transmission flushes no matter what the manual says.

Last edited:

Or.... Consumer Distorts still makes better rabbit cage liner than it does reading material. I've made very good buying decisions by ignoring CR as much as possible.

As far as Jeeps, no way I'm the exception, just go read the Jeep forums and start counting the 200k, 300k, and 400k mile examples. Granted, many of those are pre-2005 and many have the old 4.0 chugging away under the hood- but the current JK is built pretty much the same way and will run forever. Solid axles, over-built, manual trans available... very stout vehicles. CR gives a car a "reliability" hit if a rattle develops or a power seat motor squeaks. Idiots.

Originally Posted By: asand1

Possible... but one thing about Jeeps is that even the 2wd models (at least the rear-drive ones, won't testify to things like the Patriot/Compass and Renegade toys) tend to have high-mounted diffy vent tubes, trans vent tubes, etc. My old 4x2 XJ and my wife's newer 4x2 WK2 both have the same high-mount vent tubes as their 4x4 brethren. The rear diff vents up by the fuel tank filler door, the front and X-fer cases on 4x models vent high up on the firewall under the hood near the brake booster. Its actually kinda hard (I won't *quite* say impossible) to get water in the gearboxes on a Wrangler unless you're arse is also sitting in river water in the driver's seat. Definitely your feet.

Hmm. I had water coming in from the bottom of the door and sucked water into the intake and didn't have any end up in the transmission!

However, the 200K mile axle seals did let some water into the differentials.

I do change, not flush, the transmission fluid, transfer case atf and gear oil quite frequently.

Cherokees were the least Chrysler Jeep built by Chrysler. AMC engines, Toyota transmissions (unless you got a 4 cylinder with auto) ... Chrysler Fuel injection system - which was decent, though. I will give them that.

Those older Jeeps - even up to the TJ - were much different than the Jeep lineup that is out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back