Top Brand Auto on Road close to 20 years old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my area Toyota Camrys easily have the most cars still on the road being close to 20 years old. Honda Accords & Civics would probably come second. For the American made cars I would say Cavaliers & Ford Taures. How about your States? Also a good bit of Ford Explorers for SUVS & Saturns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Central PA I see a lot of Saturns. I have one that I have had almost 13 years (see signature). I agree with you on the Ford Taurus but also see a lot of older pickup trucks around here as well..Ford more than Chevy or Ram.

We have lots of mid 90s cars still on the road down here because nothing rusts away.

crown vic, impala, malibu, ranger, explorer, f150, silverado, taurus, camry, corolla, sentra, the list goes on forever

I see mostly American cars of that age. It's interesting. I see a lot more older cars on the road in places like Los Angeles, or the Bay Area than in Indianapolis. I'm guessing because housing prices are so much cheaper, people have more disposal income to buy new cars.

A-bodies. I still see a ton of Cieras and Centuries and they haven't made those since '96.

in my area mostly 3rd gen 4runners. I have one myself.. i dont know if they ever quit running.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Here in Central PA I see a lot of Saturns. I have one that I have had almost 13 years (see signature). I agree with you on the Ford Taurus but also see a lot of older pickup trucks around here as well..Ford more than Chevy or Ram.

I do see alot of Saturns running around. In my area (Franklin/Fulton county) there are alot of mid 90's GM's running around. Also popular are 90's model Honda's. Complete with rusted, falling off or weed-whacker exhaust
laugh.gif

Saturn is likely the winner. But then it does get merit. You cant make this car sufer from induction trouble most of it is plastic.goodbuy induction potentiality

Last edited:
They've mostly rotted away from road salt here in upstate NY, but you still see a fair number of Crown Vics and Grand Marquis from that era. I sold a 1995 Grand Marquis last fall with about 175k on it. Had some mechanical repairs needed, but no reason it couldn't go another 100k Also, a fair number of beater pickup trucks--Ford Rangers and F150s. Apparently the bigger vehicles have more metal and the body-on-frame designs resist rust longer.

Theres a lot of 90s Chevy trucks, Honda Accords and Civics, and anything with a 3.8 Gm v6- Buicks, Pontiacs, Impalas. Malibus are becoming pretty popular.

To have an older year around daily driver requires that you not live in the rust belt.

My daily driver Civic wagon just turned 32 this year and it's still going strong. Everything works and there's no rust beyond a couple of pinpoint spots on the surface. It's never seen ice or snow. The car I consider my new car is an 03 4Runner.

There are lots of older cars running around here.

It's all about the climate.

In Minnesota you see a lot of GM cars, particularly those with the 3.8. Also quite a few Taurus, F-150s, and Silverados.

Lots of 99 style camrys on craiglist appearing near death.

Saturn s series have somewhat bottommed out-- 1st gens are gone and 2nd-3rd gens are both in the same varying levels of condition. But they look tiny now!

Georgia is probably one of the top states when it comes to older vehicles.

No rust.
Smooth roads.
Lots of highway and 'country' driving.

Everything can survive 20 years out here so long as the manufacturer built the powertrain right. As for 25 to 30 year old vehicles, GM and Ford trucks are at the top and any full-sized rear-wheel-drive car is right up there as well.

20 years here is like 10 years in the northeast and much of the midwest. No potholes. No salt. Nothing but the blazing sun.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Here in Central PA I see a lot of Saturns. I have one that I have had almost 13 years (see signature).

Originally Posted By: dishdude
A-bodies. I still see a ton of Cieras and Centuries and they haven't made those since '96.

grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Lots of 99 style camrys on craiglist appearing near death.

Saturn s series have somewhat bottommed out-- 1st gens are gone and 2nd-3rd gens are both in the same varying levels of condition. But they look tiny now!
That's called the Gen 4 Camry.

The cars I see on the road longest in So California are timing CHAIN cars vs. timing BELT cars.

Most people simply ignore the belt change till it blows.

After X amount of time pop goes the weasel - an interference engine car goes to wrecking yard and a non interference end user gets raped on repair at that stage.

Pick up trucks usually hang around a long time here. Lots of 1980's Fords and Toyotas, not so many Chevys or mopar.

What strikes me is the cars you don't see anymore. I can't remember when I last saw a Pontiac Aztec (and there were a few around) Dodge Neons seemed to have disappeared almost overnight.

The life of a low end domestic seems to be about 7-10 years.

Mostly full size pick up trucks from GM and Ford of that age around here. There used to be a lot of "A" body GM cars, they were very popular in this area. About gone now. Last summer a Dodge Aspen passed me up on I-96 close to Grand Rapids, MI. Moving right along at 75 mph too. Summer before I saw a late 70's Pinto going down the road on it's own power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back