Problem With a Grease Fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have four grease fittings as we call them here in the South (what Northerners call a zerk) on my John Deere mower deck. Three of them accept grease exactly as expected. The fourth will not accept any grease.

I took the fitting out, inspected, and snapped onto grease gun nozzle to see if any grease will flow then. Grease comes through the fitting just fine. Installed the fitting back on mower deck and still can get no grease through the fitting.

What's the deal here fellows? Thanks.

Is the tapped hole the fitting screws into actually drilled all the way through to the bearing space? My guess would be that they didn't drill it deep enough during fab.

Has it accepted grease before?

What kind of grease gun. Lever produce the most PSI for a hand one, a pneumatic will produce more PSI.

Try some heat.

Or what Trav suggested.

I have been intending to get the tool Trav linked to if I ever came across one I could not unclog but I have always been successful removing the dried/contaminated grease from the component grease passages with a pick. Just take the zerk off to access the component and remove what you can with a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back