B.J's. gas .. Top Tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've checked the Top Tier list of fuels and B.J's. is not listed, but that doesn't meant it's not A Top Tier gas .. just that its name has not been added to the list yet. Do any of you know if B.J's. is selling Top Tier gas?

I wish I knew the answer.

I've been using BJ's gas for 6 years now. Can't say that I've had any problems such as knocks, pinging, etc. My gut feel is that it's not technically a top tier gas. To be safe, I run some other top tier gas through the car at times, and use a bottle of Techron 2X per year. I use an 87/93 octane mix on one car (calling for 91) and straight 93 on the other. Can't comment on how straight 87 performs.

I suspect it comes from different suppliers depending on the location of the store. Cumberland Farms "Cumbys" used Gulf for years, and may still do.

It seems to be a bit better than Sam's club ... at least around here.

My Focus smells like a Toyota when I ran Sam's club gas. No longer a problem.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It seems to be a bit better than Sam's club ... at least around here.

My Focus smells like a Toyota when I ran Sam's club gas. No longer a problem.
Try washing your clothing more often.

grin.gif

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

USA

76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
ARCO
Beacon
BP
Chevron
Cenex
Conoco
Costco Wholesale
CountryMark
Diamond Shamrock
Entec Stations
Express Convenience Centers
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
QuikTrip
Road Ranger
Shamrock
Shell
Sinclair
Suncor Energy Inc
SuperAmerica
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Valero

Canada
Chevron Canada
CO-OP
Costco Wholesale
Esso
Petro-Canada
Shell Canada
Tempo

Puerto Rico
Puma Energy Caribe, LLC
Shell

If I get my gas exclusively from various Shell stations (listed as top tier gas), is it a given that I'm getting "top tier gas"?

My concern is that a local distributor fills up all the local gas stations (BP, Shell, Mobil ect), and the brand name really doesn't mean anything, and thus, top tier gas really doesn't matter since the distributor is all the same.

Originally Posted By: wormwood1978
If I get my gas exclusively from various Shell stations (listed as top tier gas), is it a given that I'm getting "top tier gas"?

My concern is that a local distributor fills up all the local gas stations (BP, Shell, Mobil ect), and the brand name really doesn't mean anything, and thus, top tier gas really doesn't matter since the distributor is all the same.

It is, the organization that is Top Tier has been actually auditing stations around the country at random to make sure that the fuel at that station meets Top Tier specifications and no cheating is going on. If it doesn't meets specs the franchise will likely loose their ability to dispense that brand of gasoline in the future.

I get slightly lower MPG in all my cars with BJ's gas. They have considerably lower prices than every other station in my area so I still use them. Every few tanks I fill up from a Top Tier station for the added detergency.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: wormwood1978

It is, the organization that is Top Tier has been actually auditing stations around the country at random to make sure that the fuel at that station meets Top Tier specifications and no cheating is going on. If it doesn't meets specs the franchise will likely loose their ability to dispense that brand of gasoline in the future.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back