Best rubber lubricant ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of rubber? Natural? Synthetic? For what purpose?

Pure silicone paste, krytox, gummi pflege and a number of others come to mind...

For general usage, I use Sil-Glyde (hopefully, I spelled it correctly.) Cheap and available at NAPA.

Divers silicone would be the least unpleasant to use. Has virtually no odor and is supposedly food safe.

But yeah it depends on the application.

Someone told me that 3M Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type) was good to use on rubber parts. (part #08897)

A forum member suggested silicone brake fluid some time last year. That's what I've been using and it seems to work really well.

I would never put anything on belts, by the way. I just use it for door/hood/trunk seals and every now and then on the rubber part of the wiper blades.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

303 is a protectant, like armor all, but better. Not a lube.

For rubber use silicone paste. Period.

OK, I'll use the 3M Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type)

Don't use silicone lube on silicone "rubber".

Synthetic Super Lube is not compatible with EPDM rubber, a common vehicle elastomer.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Synthetic Super Lube is not compatible with EPDM rubber, a common vehicle elastomer.

You're wrong on both counts.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
I use K-Y jelly. Works great on my rubber.

Sounds too kinky for me

Originally Posted By: Rockrz
I was thinking of automotive bushings and maybe automotive belts

Why would you lube a belt?

also some bushings are not supposed to be lubed.. it will make them squeak.

Rubber degrades with use and time, I'm simply wanting to condition the rubber so it lasts as long as possible.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

You're wrong on both counts.

At the SuperLube Mfg. site, it specifically states that their synthetic grease is NOT EPDM compatible:
http://www.super-lube.com/compatibility-charts-ezp-222.html

I will concede about using silicone lube to lubricate silicone O rings, because the literature is not clear. However, the SYNCO mfg. brand of silicone grease is listed as non compatible with silicone rubber in the chart linked above.

Or, are you saying that EPDM rubber is not a common vehicle elastomer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back