towing 2015 ford fiesta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I intend to 4 wheel tow my fiesta with a manual transmission. Per the owners manual, it says for a MT there is only a 2 step process: Put the car in neutral and release the parking brake. It does not say to put the ignition switch to on.

For the auto tranny, it does say to put the ignition switch to on.

I worried about damaging the vehicle, so I called Ford owner's assistance and they read the owner's manual back to me.

Can anyone explain why it is okay to tow a manual tranny with the ignition switch off? Won't the front wheel steering lock just like the auto?

Is there an interlock with the shifter that requires ignition to on to get it out of park?

Presumably you will still need to put the key to the "Accessory" position to unlock the steering (assuming someone is going to be in it). This is different from having the ignition on.

The steering column probably needs to be unlocked I would imagine. DO NOT leave it sitting in the ON position with the dash lit up but not running.

EDIT: What he said.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is there an interlock with the shifter that requires ignition to on to get it out of park?

Not on my manual t.

Originally Posted By: old1
Try to turn the steering wheel with the engine and switch off and see what happens.

By golly, there is no steering wheel lock on this car! I had assumed all cars had them.

Question answered.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Not on my manual t.

Obviously not on an MT. I meant on the AT models...

The automatic will have an interlock that it won't come out of park without the key. But the manual doesn't have a steering lock I beileve.

Or just grab a dolly and tow with the front wheels off the ground...problem solved!

Originally Posted By: Burt
Originally Posted By: old1
Try to turn the steering wheel with the engine and switch off and see what happens.

By golly, there is no steering wheel lock on this car! I had assumed all cars had them.

Question answered.

shocked2.gif

I've never driven/owned a manual vehicle that DID NOT have one. Dating back to the early 80's with my Volvo 245, VW rabbit, etc.

No steering wheel lock? I though they all had that? Like by law or something.

Here is the Owners' Manual.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-US_03_2015.pdf

A couple of surprises in it for me

1)The manual tranny car can be flat towed without any restrictions. My 2wd truck, with the manual tranny, cannot be flat towed, as per the Owners' Manual. This is because the tranny input shaft isn't turning, just the output shaft. The splash lubrication system is designed assuming the input shaft is turning. If the input shaft isn't turning, some sections of the tranny will starve for oil. This is generally true across the board for HD trucks. When they are towed, the driveshaft is disconnected at the differential or the drive axles are removed so that nothing is turning inside the tranny.

2) Even more surprising, a auto can be flat towed. This has always been a no-no because the oil pump, driven by the input shaft, isn't turning.

Someone please explain a seeming inconsistency on page 185 - emergency flat towing is limited to 50 mi but recreational flat towing (the only added requirement being that the battery be disconnected, dunno why they added that) has no distance limitations.

I could see disconnecting the battery if the key had to be in acc to keep the steering column unlocked (to keep from running the battery down). Otherwise... to keep the odometer from racking up miles while being towed?

Saturn and CRV's used to be popular toads, as their automatics would allow flat towing.

Originally Posted By: supton
Saturn and CRV's used to be popular toads, as their automatics would allow flat towing.

If 4wd, then the transfer case could be put into neutral and then nothing is turning inside the tranny and starving for oil.

Jeep wranglers also do not have steering lock, manual and auto trans. Thats why they are VERY popular with motorhome users.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Here is the Owners' Manual.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-US_03_2015.pdf

A couple of surprises in it for me

1)The manual tranny car can be flat towed without any restrictions. My 2wd truck, with the manual tranny, cannot be flat towed, as per the Owners' Manual. This is because the tranny input shaft isn't turning, just the output shaft. The splash lubrication system is designed assuming the input shaft is turning. If the input shaft isn't turning, some sections of the tranny will starve for oil. This is generally true across the board for HD trucks. When they are towed, the driveshaft is disconnected at the differential or the drive axles are removed so that nothing is turning inside the tranny.

2) Even more surprising, a auto can be flat towed. This has always been a no-no because the oil pump, driven by the input shaft, isn't turning.

Someone please explain a seeming inconsistency on page 185 - emergency flat towing is limited to 50 mi but recreational flat towing (the only added requirement being that the battery be disconnected, dunno why they added that) has no distance limitations.

Front drive transaxles will lubricate when they are rolling. The 6 speed autobox in the Fiesta is an automated manual transmission.

I'm guessing emergency towing is a bit different because something is broken. Recreational towing the car is probably in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back