Schaeffer's 5w40 in a cummins n14 celect plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good friend of mine just had the motor rebuilt in his Freightliner after a spun bearing. We sell schaeffer's at the store and I'm trying to help justify the cost to him. Would he see a noticeable oil temp decrease running schaeffer's 5w40?

Nope.None.you have to remember these things even when you meet the worst maintaned truck is built to climb hill that are steep and with scary heavy load and in a cooling need we just start the fan and up we go without check the temperature (usually )oil on the big rig is not high in the priority list. (Too many lies in the past. even with proof it is hrd to convince A trucker. And if someone cheated him out of his money ? He better hoard that money cause its the last he ll see and the trucker will make sure all other trucker know whats what so they dont get cheated. And enGine oil need to be changed so often its hard to justify more expensive oil. But if someone came and said ok. Next oil change in 6 month? Every company would buy that oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake
lmao snake oil won't help

Schaeffer's not lucas... Thanks for the insightful response, btw...

TiredTrucker is normally very complimentary of Schaeffer products, but I don't think he runs their 5w40. I think he runs their 7000 series synthetic blend. Of course, he will speak for himself if he sees the thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake
lmao snake oil won't help

I'm sorry, where is the snake oil here?

Yet another "pearl of wisdom" from this poster
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
The truck running down the road with dino is getting paid the same as the one running syn. The one running dino is more profitable.
Unless you able to extend (if your system can tolerate it). Doug Hillary has some good information about using Delvac 1 ESP for more miles than I can count.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I'm sure the schaeffers would be fine. But the trucks on our roads go millions of miles on delo,delvac and rotella 15w40

This. No need for gimmick oil.

I understand that trucks have ran on dino for millions of miles, this one included. He is just wanting something that is going to hold up in extreme heat more so than the delvac he was running. The spun bearing was due to an oil cooler malfunction & he was just wanting a little more protection in case of another catastrophic failure. With us selling Schaeffer's products here at the feed store he will be buying it wholesale.

Originally Posted By: DustinAsh
I understand that trucks have ran on dino for millions of miles, this one included. He is just wanting something that is going to hold up in extreme heat more so than the delvac he was running. The spun bearing was due to an oil cooler malfunction & he was just wanting a little more protection in case of another catastrophic failure. With us selling Schaeffer's products here at the feed store he will be buying it wholesale.

Hey Dustin, you can absolutely justify running high cost oils if you extend the interval to make up for it (although I have no idea what Schaeffer oil would cost him). The synthetic oils will certainly last a long time as far as maintaining a high TBN and low acidity. Your friend could add an aftermarket bypass filter and go crazy with super long oci's with sythetics.

Most of my trucks from a '97 Detroit to a '12 Volvo had the oil temps regulated at 210 and going into the 230's and 240's pulling the mountains out west. I recently traded in a '13 Volvo that allowed the oil to run up to 246-247 before cooling it. It was free to run anything up that point.

Running 15W40 for three oci's, it would run up there near the cutoff most of the time, constantly hitting the limit then cooling, and then shooting right back up. This was without climbing mountains, just cruising at near 80k lbs.

When I switched to 10W30, it took much longer to hit the 247f limit. It would get there but it took 3-4 times the miles after the cooling cycle compared to the heavier oil.

I then tried Rotella T6 (5W40) for one oci and the oil temps seemed to run even cooler. When pushing it hard in high winds and/or climbing long hills it would eventually get up to 247f to get the oil cooler to kick in but it was the slowest to climb up to that point. Mostly, oil temps remained in the mid to upper 230's using T6.

After all that typing, I believe the Schaeffer 5W40 would only be marginally beneficial in case of oil cooler failure. The synthetic could keep temps a little lower and withstand higher temps longer (lower oxidation rate) but to what point? I don't know the circumstances of your friend's truck so it's hard to say.

His oil temp is most likely regulated at 210f or abouts, so bottom line is the synthetic won't run cooler in average situations. Yes it will rise at a slower rate when climbing a mountain but that's not a big deal (unless the oil cooler is completely ruined). If he doesn't have an oil temp gauge, that would be a good addition to the truck so to watch for such problems.

Originally Posted By: DustinAsh
Perfect, Dusty... Thank you, sir. Thats exactly what i was looking for.

You're welcome sir!

Those N14's are awesome engines. Loud...but awesome
grin.gif
Your friend wouldn't have to add any extra filtration to use the Schaeffer's and get his money's worth but it's a matter of his comfort level. Even with the use of uoa's, I personally haven't been able to "get over the hump" and go to extended drains. I've gone as high as 30k miles using a syn-blend but that's it.

If your friend is getting decent fuel mileage, who knows how far Schaeffer's could take him. Maybe he would want to change the oil filter at a halfway point with the factory setup. I'm betting he could run that oil until wear metals hit the condemnation limits set by Cummins before the TBN gets low. Either use a suction pump or install a port to draw an oil sample and see what happens.

Again, that isn't for me but there are plenty of options. If the synthetic is double the cost of using conventional, he could easily run oci's long enough to get his money back without any extra hassle.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: rideahorse
The truck running down the road with dino is getting paid the same as the one running syn. The one running dino is more profitable.
Unless you able to extend (if your system can tolerate it). Doug Hillary has some good information about using Delvac 1 ESP for more miles than I can count.

Doug's information is great, as running a fleet, he could get some really really good data in a short period of time, which would be hard to accumulate as an owner operator.

From reading his information, I agree...longer OCIs, and synthetics in the driveline will pay dividends.

I am very partial to the syn blend Schaeffer stuff. I have never been able to see a cost benefit to using the full synthetic. I have used the 700 15w40 for some time, and primarily use the 711 10w30 syn blend now. Off the shelf pricing is usually always way too high. I get it direct from Schaeffer and the cost is very reasonable and competitive, along with free shipping to the house.

If I wasn't using Schaeffer, I would seriously look at the Delvac Elite syn blends. From sample results I have seen from others, it is a very good oil. I am not really into the trying to extend drains to some record breaking level. I extend the drains about 30-50% beyond the OEM recommendation at most. I start seeing spikes in oil samples near there, so I don't feel comfortable going beyond that duration.

Regardless of what engine oil gets used, I would install an oil temperature gauge.

If your friend wants an oil with a "little extra", the 7000 series 15w-40 would be a fine choice. ROI will depend on the drain interval, and if he takes advantage of their oil analysis service. Many operators are not capable of managing an extended drain interval program, so keep that in mind when you make your recommendations.

Schaeffer's really shines when it comes to grease, gear lube, and diesel treatment. Even if the engine oil doesn't pencil out, the 221 or 238 grease would be a huge upgrade compared to the std. lithum complex grease most truck stops use. Some guys cut their grease consumption in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back