Magnatec 0w20, 3,000mi, Mazda CX-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran this paired with a Fram Ultra as a "winter fill" for three months. I ended up changing it early because it was so noisy. This vehicle does a lot of stop and go short trips and idling while hauling kids around to school, sports, and activities. I was hoping that the lead would go down and it did. It still may have just been a particle streak or the lower miles on the oil. Anyway, more noise obviously doesn't correlate to increased engine wear. Lesson learned.

Filled it up with PPHM 5w30 paired with a BOSS (Oh the tearror!). Interested to see how the thicker 5w30 does over the summer than the spec'd 5w20 with vacation road trips hauling the whole family and gear in 100°f weather.

Comments are appreciated. Thank you.

You don't use one oil long enough to establish anything. Doing a UOA every 3K is ludicrous.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
You don't use one oil long enough to establish anything. Doing a UOA every 3K is ludicrous.

...constructive critism? ...thanks? Very insightful.

It's a short run, but I noticed it's another Magnatec UOA that is showing a lot of shear resistance. I think most shear occurs very early in an OCI anyway.

Surprised you found it noisy, but that may just be the stupid 0w20 (what good is the stuff anyway?). I have found Magnatec to run pretty quiet in our KIA.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Where in California do you need a winter fill? Or 0W-20 oil?

Tahoe. But you're right, it's probably not needed. I ran it as a "winter fill" to see how it did. The spec is 5w20. As you can see being new to BITOG I fell for buying the most expensive synthetic oil and now bought the least expensive (Magnatec) and it's given the best results of all of them. Another lesson learned. So even though a 0w20 isn't needed it certainly didn't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Surprised you found it noisy, but that may just be the stupid 0w20 (what good is the stuff anyway?). I have found Magnatec to run pretty quiet in our KIA.

Ya, I never knew what people meant by "sewing machine" sound until this oil. But another member just posted how quiet the Magnatec 5w30 was in his F-150 and it had great wear numbers too.

What weight in your KIA?

No such thing as a winter or summer multigrade. Half the people on this website are insane.

No such thing as a winter or summer multigrade. Half the people on this website are insane.

...99% of the members add constructively to the discussions here and 1% troll.

I took a look at your posts and they mostly consist of negative one liners. If the members here are "insane" and that bothers you then maybe elaborating and explaining your positions and opinions would be more constructive in helping to create a "sane" membership base. Food for thought... YMMV...

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

I took a look at your posts and they mostly consist of negative one liners. If the members here are "insane" and that bothers you then maybe elaborating and explaining your positions and opinions would be more constructive in helping to create a "sane" membership base. Food for thought... YMMV...

Maybe he didn't expain it in the best way, but he has a point. Multi-grade oil is meant to eliminate the need for this 'winter fill.' Use whatever you want within spec, but there is no need to choose according to the calendar. If you hadn't labeled it as a 'winter fill' i suspect he wouldn't have had an issue.

Don't count on it. This poster just comes in with one-liners like you noted, and then when challenged on them he abandons those threads and moves onto new ones.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Ya, I never knew what people meant by "sewing machine" sound until this oil. But another member just posted how quiet the Magnatec 5w30 was in his F-150 and it had great wear numbers too.

What weight in your KIA?

I have run both the 5w30 blend and and now 200 miles away from finishing an OCI with the 5w20 full syn which I ran over the cold months. I have liked the way both ran, I imagine the 5w20 has fewer VII's than his 0w20. I am not really a fan of 20 grades in general and will be running the 5w30 again in 200 miles.

I was mostly curious if there was much difference between the blend and the full syn version. I can't really tell any although I was more comfortable pushing the full syn farther which I have run for 6k now.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Don't count on it. This poster just comes in with one-liners like you noted, and then when challenged on them he abandons those threads and moves onto new ones.

+3
Allow me to comment , that when challenged , he abandons those threads and fails to respond.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Where in California do you need a winter fill? Or 0W-20 oil?

Tahoe. But you're right, it's probably not needed. I ran it as a "winter fill" to see how it did. The spec is 5w20. As you can see being new to BITOG I fell for buying the most expensive synthetic oil and now bought the least expensive (Magnatec) and it's given the best results of all of them. Another lesson learned. So even though a 0w20 isn't needed it certainly didn't hurt anything.
I had a house in S,Lake Tahoe and Syn 10W-30 syn worked fine there in the coldest winter temperatures, look at the viscosity charts. 0W=20 oil is for arctic climates or EPA cafe ratings.

That so, jack? I know a lot of people who run 0w 20 in the winter and 5w 30 in the summer, just for laughs, maybe.

I also have a "winter blend" that I'll use, which consists of anything that has 0w in front of it.

In the summer, when temps are 80F @ 5am and 100f+ in the afternoon, I use 5w or 10w because I just don't see a need for 0w oil at that point.

My Mazda 3 specs 0w20 but the manual shows that I can use up to 15w40 if my memory serves me correctly if temps don't go below freezing.

I just did my 1st OC in my 2015 cx9, magnatec 5w20, it's running a bit better than the factory fill, or maybe it's just braking in, it's a bit quieter with the magnatec. Ne1 running 5w30 in a cx9?

Originally Posted By: COBB715
I just did my 1st OC in my 2015 cx9, magnatec 5w20, it's running a bit better than the factory fill, or maybe it's just braking in, it's a bit quieter with the magnatec. Ne1 running 5w30 in a cx9?

Ya, I filled ours with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w30 after I drained the Magnatec 0w20. I had been trying to address the high wear metals and a lot of people suggested a step up from 5w20 to 5w30. After seeing the Australian owner's manual and Shell's oil recommendation site for other countries I felt comfortable. PPHM is thinner than regular PP and PUP, for what it's worth, and we haven't noticed any change in performance. This was before I got the UOA results back from the Magnatec 0w20 which looks like it did great.

The other half are just plain crazy !! Except for you and I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back