FIREClean responds to Vuurwapenblog/Crisco claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ws6

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/03/31/fir...-federal-court/

Quote:
Last September, social media was ablaze with multiple versions of a common theme, “Fireclean lubricant is Crisco”. The source of this buzz was an article on Vuurwapen blog by Andrew Tuohy, entitled “INFRARED SPECTROSCOPY OF FIRECLEAN AND CRISCO OILS” where he claimed to have had samples of Fireclean tested in order to determine if it was Crisco. At the time of the article, I was publicly critical of Tuohy’s methodology, relying on anonymous sources for lab tests.

The content was so popular it even spawned a second round of articles by Tuohy as well as blogger Everett Baker who claims to have conducted testing of his own that verified Tuohy’s assertions. To double down, Tuohy wrote an article where he claimed that a demonstration video of Fireclean by tactical trainer Larry Vickers was fraudulent. Interestingly, Tuohy initially published this article as “WHERE THERE’S SMOKE, THERE’S LIAR” but later changed it to “SEVERE PROBLEMS WITH VICKERS TACTICAL FIRECLEAN VIDEO”.

At the time, lots of people were quite entertained by the shenanigans. But not everyone was laughing. While most have moved on from the incident, Fireclean has not. In fact, last week they filed the first, in what we understand will be series of federal lawsuits, against Andrew Tuohy and Everett Baker. Suits against others are said to follow. According to this suit, Fireclean has suffered losses of $25,000 per month in sales since the round of articles. Seeing how they are in Northern Virginia, Fireclean has turned to Federal Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, the original ‘Rocket Docket’, for relief. Andrew Tuohy hails from Arizona and Everett Baker is from New Hampshire, according to his blog but Fireclean makes their case early on in the suit for a Virginia venue.

At the heart of this issue is whether the bloggers’ posts are protected by the First Amendment or if their actions were intentionally misleading. Fireclean alleges multiple counts of defamation against Tuohy and a single count against Baker as well as violation of the Virginia Business Conspiracy Act and Common Law Conspiracy. They are demanding a jury trial and compensatory damages, presumed damages for defamation, punitive damages in addition to court costs and attorney’s fees.

You can read the entire, 209 page suit here: Fireclean LLC v Tuohy and Baker. It’s quite extensive and in the document you can see that Fireclean does exactly what Tuohy and Baker didn’t, which was use a well known laboratory to analyze the product. Rather than rely on anonymous testing or tests performed by a college student, Fireclean obtained the services of Petro-Lubricant Testing Laboratories. Their testing is part of the suit, in exhibit R.

Whichever way this suit goes, it is one to watch because it is not only an attempt to hold firearms bloggers responsible for their content, but that it could have far reaching effects for blogging writ large as well as other social media content.

In closing, I would like to disclose that Vickers Tactical, who is not a party to this suit, but is mentioned, is an advertiser on SSD. While, Larry Vickers has endorsed Fireclean in the past, Fireclean is in no way associated with SSD.

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/merged_document.pdf

...Like I said on this forum previously...it is vegetable based/plant based...but not everything plant based comes in a Crisco bottle, and it's a mix of at least 3 oils, not of the garden variety. But some people learn the hard way...

"Fireclean has suffered losses of $25,000 per month in sales since the round of articles."

I'm surprised they sold that much of the overpriced, perishable garbage since it was first introduced. P.T. Barnum was right after all. You can't sue your way out of a bad product. All those articles did was educate consumers that it was nothing more than a food based oil that is consumable. That in itself no more qualifies it as "gun oil", anymore then it does Crisco. That is the reason people stopped buying it, or refused to in the first place. The rest are just too proud or ignorant to admit they've been had.

Originally Posted By: billt460
"Fireclean has suffered losses of $25,000 per month in sales since the round of articles."

I'm surprised they sold that much of the overpriced, perishable garbage since it was first introduced. P.T. Barnum was right after all. You can't sue your way out of a bad product. All those articles did was educate consumers that it was nothing more than a food based oil that is consumable. That in itself no more qualifies it as "gun oil", anymore then it does Crisco. That is the reason people stopped buying it, or refused to in the first place. The rest are just too proud or ignorant to admit they've been had.

Is that your opinion of Ballistol, Castrol R, and Bore Butter, as well?

Regardless, this court case is going to set some precedents, and will be one to watch.

Last edited:
I bought into this product hook, line and sinker. Then I tried it. A gun that sat for a year in my gun safe turned into a gummy mess. Fireclean gummed up my gun. It's one of the only oils I've ever seen get really gummy, aside from WD40, in a gun. I promptly stopped using Fireclean and threw it in the trash after that. I don't think Fireclean is that good a product, and I think there are far better gun lubes on the market.

It's a shame that Fireclean is losing $25K/month in sales, but they are welcome to go back to the drawing boards and create a better product, and perhaps their revenue stream will improve.

I am a huge proponent of the 1st (and 2nd) amendment, and hope Firclean LOSES this lawsuit!! If internet bloggers are under the constant threat of lawsuits, we shall never know which reviews are real and which are garbage. ALL internet reviews of ALL gun products will always be positive, and that is just terrible for the end consumer.

I dont want to read positive glowing review after positive glowing review. When a product sucks, or doesn't work as advertised, I want a review that says so.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I bought into this product hook, line and sinker. Then I tried it. A gun that sat for a year in my gun safe turned into a gummy mess. Fireclean gummed up my gun. It's one of the only oils I've ever seen get really gummy, aside from WD40, in a gun. I promptly stopped using Fireclean and threw it in the trash after that. I don't think Fireclean is that good a product, and I think there are far better gun lubes on the market.

It's a shame that Fireclean is losing $25K/month in sales, but they are welcome to go back to the drawing boards and create a better product, and perhaps their revenue stream will improve.

I am a huge proponent of the 1st (and 2nd) amendment, and hope Firclean LOSES this lawsuit!! If internet bloggers are under the constant threat of lawsuits, we shall never know which reviews are real and which are garbage. ALL internet reviews of ALL gun products will always be positive, and that is just terrible for the end consumer.

I dont want to read positive glowing review after positive glowing review. When a product sucks, or doesn't work as advertised, I want a review that says so.

I agree Bubba. Lawsuits, however won or lost, won't turn a bad product into a good one. Fireclean is a BAD product, that duped the public into thinking it was something it wasn't.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
On a similar note wasn't frog lube purportedly made from coconut oil?

Coconut, soybean, vegetable, it really doesn't matter. It's all pretty much the same. Your gun won't know the difference anymore than you would know what oil your French fries were fried in. Ballistol is made from a Mineral Oil base. People drink Mineral Oil to help them take a dump. It makes your rear end pipe slippery, just as it makes your gun parts slippery.

It isn't Crisco, but it is sure similar, and the way the consumer reacted to that information is not the fault of the blogger, as it is a simple rule of capitalism. The consumer will dictate if the price of a product versus its interpreted value is enough to justify purchasing it.

Someone mentioned Ballistol, which is mineral oil based, but many lubricants are mineral oil based so its more in line with conventional thought. It is nothing new to sell something cheap but charge quite a bit of money. Go buy a bottle of butcher block oil sometime. It is just the same mineral oil you get at a drug store, but costs well over 2x as much.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I agree Bubba. Lawsuits, however won or lost, won't turn a bad product into a good one. Fireclean is a BAD product, that duped the public into thinking it was something it wasn't.

Many people, including Andrew Touhy, said it was a GOOD product...

Everyone hates something. I don't think you can find a single product in existence that doesn't have a vocal group opposing it.

While companies have a legal right to defend their product and image, however, I have yet to see a thread about this on ANY forum where people are inspired to support FIREClean. I personally think that they have blown their own pecker off with this lawsuit, regarding sales, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ws6
.....I have yet to see a thread about this on ANY forum where people are inspired to support FIREClean.

Why would people, as you put it, "Be inspired to support Fireclean", when they have said, as Bubba did, that it sucks? You yourself posted pictures of an AR-15 rifle that was gummed up by this garbage, by doing nothing but sitting in a safe. Bubba posted that he experienced the exact same thing. How much more proof do you need?

A bad product is just that. Fireclean wants to go down swinging in court. That is their legal prerogative. However I'm with Bubba on this one. Their time and money would be far better served developing a better product. Instead of trying to defend their foolish attempt to pass off vegetable oil as a gun lubricant. They made their own bed. Now they can lay in it.

The simple fact is shooters are getting wise to all of these type of products like Fireclean and Frog Lube. Consumers don't like to be taken advantage of. Many bought this product in good faith. There is nothing wrong with trying to sell a product and turn a profit. But this skirts the edge of consumer fraud very closely. I'm not a betting man. But if I was, my money would be on the bloggers. They have every right to post what they have found through their own private scientific evaluation. It takes more than paying some ex "operator" to endorse your product, to make it viable. I can all but guarantee you by this time Larry Vickers wishes he never saw or heard of Fireclean. He took the money, and now his reputation is going to pay the price. That's unfortunate.

.....I have yet to see a thread about this on ANY forum where people are inspired to support FIREClean.

Why would people, as you put it, "Be inspired to support Fireclean", when they have said, as Bubba did, that it sucks? You yourself posted pictures of an AR-15 rifle that was gummed up by this garbage, by doing nothing but sitting in a safe. Bubba posted that he experienced the exact same thing. How much more proof do you need?

A bad product is just that. Fireclean wants to go down swinging in court. That is their legal prerogative. However I'm with Bubba on this one. Their time and money would be far better served developing a better product. Instead of trying to defend their foolish attempt to pass off vegetable oil as a gun lubricant. They made their own bed. Now they can lay in it.

The simple fact is shooters are getting wise to all of these type of products like Fireclean and Frog Lube. Consumers don't like to be taken advantage of. Many bought this product in good faith. There is nothing wrong with trying to sell a product and turn a profit. But this skirts the edge of consumer fraud very closely. I'm not a betting man. But if I was, my money would be on the bloggers. They have every right to post what they have found through their own private scientific evaluation. It takes more than paying some ex "operator" to endorse your product, to make it viable. I can all but guarantee you by this time Larry Vickers wishes he never saw or heard of Fireclean. He took the money, and now his reputation is going to pay the price. That's unfortunate.

I still have yet to find anything better for high-volume use. I discontinued it because I shoot a lot, and sometimes I I don't. When I do, nothing better. When I don't...you saw the results. In my personal experience, it's a great product for people who shoot a lot/often. Those who don't...not so much. But it does do very well with who it was intended for/marketed to, initially: 3 gunners and the like. High volume/often.

Fireclean is made of vegetable oils, but it's far enough removed from anything you would buy at the store, and mixed in proprietary proportions, in such a way, that I think Fireclean does have a leg to stand on, and a strong one at that.

The issue is that FIREClean has shot themselves in the ****, because people don't like seeing companies sue bloggers. I think it's going to kill FC's civilian market pretty darn dead, if I had to guess, no-matter who "wins" in court.

I think it's going to kill FC's civilian market pretty darn dead, if I had to guess, no-matter who "wins" in court.

If civilian shooters have awoken to the idea that it's garbage, my guess is the military, or "professional" shooters are going to determine the exact same thing. What you're seeing here is pure capitalism at work. And over the centuries it's been proven to work pretty well.

I still have yet to find anything better for high-volume use.

I don't see how you could possibly determine that with any degree of certainty, when every picture you post of your guns after such "high volume use", shows them to be bone dry? How can you determine how well a product works, when there isn't any of it on your gun?? You could spit into the ejection port and get the exact same result
confused.gif

I think it's going to kill FC's civilian market pretty darn dead, if I had to guess, no-matter who "wins" in court.

If civilian shooters have awoken to the idea that it's garbage, my guess is the military, or "professional" shooters are going to determine the exact same thing. What you're seeing here is pure capitalism at work. And over the centuries it's been proven to work pretty well.

I don't see why you say it's garbage when it works so bloody well for some types of shooting/users. Even the defendant, per the submitted legal documents, says it works well.

Some professional shooters like it, some don't.

I don't see why you say it's garbage when it works so bloody well for some types of shooting/users.

It's not what I say or think that matters in the least. I've told you my reasons for not using ANY plant based oils on firearms. It is what has been reported by consumers on their product. If it, "works so well", they, (Fireclean), would not be having ANY of these issues. There are all but countless firearm lubrication products currently on the market. How many are suing people because they don't like what the industry is negatively reporting about their products?

I doubt there are any actual military users of either frog lube or fire clean. Neither are mil spec.

Now, soldiers, spec ops guys, and others in the military will use whatever they like on their own guns, and as young people, are easily taken in by hype...but they are simply personal users at that point.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
On a similar note wasn't frog lube purportedly made from coconut oil?

Frog Lube is basically nothing more than a rebadged, biodegradable roller coaster track lubricant. Which is also made from plant based oils, with a mint scent added to it, being pedaled as a firearms lubricant. As far as I know no one has sued them, nor are they suing anyone else..... Yet.

I don't see why you say it's garbage when it works so bloody well for some types of shooting/users.

It's not what I say or think that matters in the least. I've told you my reasons for not using ANY plant based oils on firearms. It is what has been reported by consumers on their product. If it, "works so well", they, (Fireclean), would not be having ANY of these issues. There are all but countless firearm lubrication products currently on the market. How many are suing people because they don't like what the industry is negatively reporting about their products?

To understand the "whys" of this lawsuit, you would have to know the people.

SIG has used soybean oil for years at SIG Academy, and had great results. Yes, becoming sticky can and is a complication of using plant-based oils, if you don't regularly use/clean the firearm. Otherwise, they do certain things that mineral/synthetic products simply do not, just as they have weak points, they have strong points, chemically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back