Battery maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a garage queen car and have been putting getting a battery tender for a while and now that it has sat all winter the battey is to low to start the engine.
What do you guys recommend for a battery maintainer slow charger? I was thinking of going with tis guy right here on Amazon

Battery Tender

Battery Tender should work just fine. It's even relabeled and used by several OEMs, like BMW. Note that there are a few different models depending on battery size and type.

The CTEK seems to be a popular choice as well.

Take a step up and go for a BatteryMinder, on Amazon and direct. I have the 2012 and its one of the few that has high/low temp compensation. They are not the cheapest, but probably the best.

HF has them if you want cheap.

I hear the NOCO lineup is decent and also has the high/low temp settings. Seems to keep my batteries in decent shape, and nicely brought back my bike battery.

Consider an AGM battery if you are planning on not using the car for longer periods. I just retired my 6-year old AGM from a motorcycle that was only used 6 months at most. The battery is still usable and will start the motorcycle, but it has outlived its expected life. Over the winter I would just put it on a charger a couple of times on warmer days and most of the time it just sat. AGMs have a very low discharge rate and are fine just sitting there for longer periods assuming there is no draw from the car--I would disconnect it.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The battery tender 1.25 amp is fine for maintenance. Good maintainers can also be purchased by ctek or pro Logix.
Originally Posted By: Rand
Rather than paying 40$+ for a 1.25amp battery tender

I'd spend 51$ and get
http://www.amazon.com/SOLAR-PL2310-Pro-Logix-Battery-Charger/dp/B007P7ABE6

It can be left on indefinitely... and if you need an actual battery charger for something you have one.
Example left a maplight on etc.

If I am about to spend $30-40 or more for a battery charger/maintainer then Pro-Logix PL2310 is the one I would absolutely get.

But I am an el-cheapo so I spent $6-7 for a tiny maintainer from eBay. It works very well maintaining the battery I took off from Volvo last year. This battery is now in Honda Accord. The last time I measured the voltage it was 12.7-12.8 Volts after 1 day off the maintainer. I plugged in the maintainer only one or 2 nights a week, according to kill-a-watt it consumes 4 watts in maintain mode.

I wouldn't buy the el-cheapo. When it boils your battery the cost of the replacement battery will be more than the cost of buying a quality maintainer the first time.

Many cases of complaints for the cheapo maintainers causing issues.

You don't have to convince me, I love my 20 amp pro Logix PL2320 and I think the 10 amp model is fine too, certainly more versatile than a 1 amp maintainer if you find yourself with a dome light on and need to get the battery into service in a few hours, something the 1 amp maintainer could day days to accomplish.

Some battery maintainers can handle multiple batteries as long as they are same type of battery and all fully charged. I have a "Y" connector with each battery fused.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
This is BY FAR the best I've ever owned or seen documented for the money. 7-stage charge cycle with long-term maintenance profile is far better for the battery than a constant float/trickle charger, which causes sulphation.

http://www.cloreautomotive.com/sku.php?id=528

I definitely recommend this unit as well, excellent bang for the buck. The 10amp unit can be had for only a couple bucks more than the Battery Tender unit the OP listed. I've been using a 20amp model for about a year now, mainly for the AGM's and deep cycle's that are on the bass boat. Easy to use, flexible options, well constructed cables and clamps.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I wouldn't buy the el-cheapo. When it boils your battery the cost of the replacement battery will be more than the cost of buying a quality maintainer the first time.

Many cases of complaints for the cheapo maintainers causing issues.

I have Watt Meter, it showed the el-cheapo maintainer supply 14.1-14.2V and 0.2-0.3A to the battery in maintain mode.

In charge mode when battery went down to 95-98%, it supplied the battery with 13.2-13.3V and 0.7-0.8A for few hours then it slowly reduce the current while increasing voltage.

No, the el-cheapo maintainer is not supposed to be used as charger. If someone needs a charger and maintainer than the $6-7 maintainer from eBay isn't the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back