Manifold gunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an inlet manifold from a say 2007 or so Mitsubishi Triton, these have the 3.2 4M41 common rail engine. There were about 3 inlet manifolds for these, this might be a 1st or 2nd edition because of where the MAP sensor port is, these block up setting a MAP code. We clear these with a wire and/or a shot of air at service time.

2016-03-24%2013.14.09_zpspntfsfoe.jpg

2016-03-24%2013.14.19_zpsp7ezgd7e.jpg

After cleaning.

2016-03-24%2015.54.33_zpsp83kqjbo.jpg

2016-03-31%2010.28.32_zpsvqsdhwq1.jpg

A manifold to put on the old head for common rail. The 4D56 got a much more elaborate design head when it went commonrail, they still gunk up, but not to the extent of the 4M41.

I have seen gunked up intakes on engines without EGR and PCV systems as well. Maybe it is the cam overlap or intake reversion.

Diesels run pretty clean with just a bit of oil from the breather (no PCV on diesels), it's the EGR that does it.

Silk,
I did the EGR and swirl control solenoids on my Nissan some time ago, but left the breather to the intake stock.

Will have to take the intake manifold stub off this winter to do the glowplugs...maybe...it ran all last winter with none...and see what the intake looks like.

There seem to be different intakes on the ZD30, had a D22 Navara in today, the breather was before the twin butterflys, EGR after, but perhaps into one set of intake valves, is this like your's?. I have seen a ZD30 in a Pathfinder where the breather went into one butterfly, and the EGR into the other, so one part of the intake was breather only, the other EGR (each set of intake valves has a separate manifold). The breather runners just had oil, the EGR ones had that soft black goop. I hope you just have oil.

Thanks for posting. On the Volvo board you'll see heavily choked diesel intakes. Of course these engines are in the UK, NZ and Oz.

April 1st, 2016 in No. America and I'll bet there are possibly 3 diesel powered non-truck vehicles to choose from. Kira

Silk,
this is another person's photo, but it's the same as mine.
ZD30valves.jpg

The "swirl control" solenoid forces the air to follow the high swirl port in the heads/inlet.

The EGR solenoid partially closes the shutoff butterfly to drop the intake pressure and get the EGR flowing...the swirl is supposed to mix the gasses.

And the shut-off does what it's name suggests.

So just off idle, the EGR solenoid partially closes th shutoff solenoid, and closes the high flow butterfly, forcing the air/egr through the high swirl port in the manifold/head.

Every gear change it does the same.

Anecdotaly, the couple of people I know who have burned down a Navara ZD30 have done it just after shifting down to third with a load...the premise is that the choked airflow with full fuel gets too hot.

There's a set of lights here in town on a reasonable slope upwards, and I hated having to "dance" with the accelerator and clutch, as as soon as you start to load, the combo of butterflies and EGR kills torque.

I've pulled the plug on the swirl solenoid. blocked the EGR and re-routed the shutoff solenoid plumbing so that it does only shutoff.

I can now pull away from that interesction with no accelerator if I choose, it's that torquey down low...I can give another Navara owner a drive, and they ALL notice that it's not finicky off idle.

mods here

http://www.navara.asia/archive/index.php/t-64.html

Yes, that's what I saw on the D22. So these swirl ports would would be the front ones that bend around to the ''exhaust'' side? The ZD30 has the valves rotated 90 deg or so, so you don't have inlet valves on one side of the head, exhausts the other, those swirl ports I think would go to over the other side. The 4M41 valves are also rotated, but not as much as the Nissan, but probably the aim is the same.

I've wondered why some ZD30's are totally gutless, and yet others have plenty of power. Customers don't complain about it, so we don't go looking, but some will light the tyres up with ease, some won't get out of their own way. Over here with some many Japanese domestic imports, the difference is most likely in the higher emission spec of the Japanese vehicles, and the non emmision NZ spec.

An update on this Triton - still not running up to scratch, so the customer decided to go all the way. We pulled the head off today, and this is the swirl port intake, practically blocked off....quite a bit of build up on the valves too. Sorry about the photo, trying to hold the torch and camera too.

2016-04-18%2015.40.19_zpss355kx5f.jpg

We never got the 3.2 in the L200/triton, only the 4D56 and now the 4N15. The pajero has the 3.2 4M41 though but I never had to remove the intakes yet.

The 4D56 also suffers from a blocked MAP sensor port, but not much else to be fair. It also depends on the user, it seems the ones that go at it regularly have less issues than the ones feathering the throttle.

So what did you get in the 2006 to 2010 Tritons, the 4 cyl and V6 petrol? They do exist, but rare here. Or did you go straight to the common rail 4D56?

More Japanese common rail EGR Hall of Shame. I pulled the head off a 2011 Mazda BT50 today, for a headgasket problem....this is just incidental. Some water damage to No3 cyl bore, we'll probably go for another engine.

Cyl head.

2016-05-10%2015.47.37_zpscmeqoawf.jpg

Manifold.

2016-05-10%2016.18.48_zpsiruk6jdm.jpg

I haven't seen inside a VW Amarok or a Cummins powered Foton, and US diesel utes are not common down here, but yes contoling emissions with EGR on a diesel is going to gunk up the manifold.

The Mitsi manifold is 2 piece and easy to clean, the Mazda is one piece and hard to get the crud out. I have made a heated dip tank at work, and a few goes got it pretty good. The bore cleaned up well, so just went with a new head.

I use a water based general purpose cleaner, those high alkaline ones that take the skin off your hands, in a spray bottle and in the dip tank. Scrape as much as I can off, then several goes in the hot dip tank and they come out pretty clean. Sometimes a solvent degreaser or brakeclean...just whatever works. For the cyl head we send them to an engine shop with a more aggressive hot tank.

Mitsubishi had some of the first GDI (trademarked by Mitsi) engines in production, mid '90's and a lot were sold in Japan, and we get them here as used imports. So we were into loaded GDI manifolds long before they started to get mentioned on this board. The engine shops used Mr Muscle,an oven cleaner. We have a new guy at MNZ who does the training among other stuff, and he's a tribologist. Mitsi have their own brand of intake manifold cleaner...and it turns out this guy developed it as a consultant many years before he joined MNZ. Smells like oven cleaner.

Diesels have always been direct injection of course, and although I haven't made it clear (I thought it was obvious), this thread is about diesel intake manifolds. This seems to happen only on common rail engines with EGR, although there is buildup in non common rail too, just not to this extent. And no, I'm not some sort of Mitsi fan/expert, I just work there because it's handy, and only about 40% of our work anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back