What to teach someone about cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the next couple of weeks, I'll have the opportunity to teach a friend some things about her car and cars in general , before she goes off to college. She has a 3.4L Grand Am. Here's what I was thinking:

-how to change a tire

-how to check oil and add it

-how to add washer fluid

-what warning lights mean what

-how to check brake fluid, atf, p/s fluid, coolant

What do you guys think? Too much? What else would you teach her how to do (on her own car)? This was her idea, she doesn't know much about cars.

fluids, tires, and every thing that illuminates. Pretty much what you said
smile.gif

Just the basics. She's going off to school and there will be plenty of knowledgeable folks around who will be willing to lend a hand if needed. Her focus should be on her education and not her car.

I think your list is good.

However, she needs to identify a trusted shop in her college town, so that when a problem occurs beyond her capabilities, she has a trusted mechanic to rely on. She should not try to pick out a shop on a spur of the moment when her car does have a problem.

I'd also emphasize keeping the exterior and interior neat and clean. Not as hardcore as some of us here,but to just "keep up appearances" per se. A clean car is a happy car :^)

Don't forget the fan/serpentine belt(s) and hoses and hose clamps. Small things for sure but vehicles with a failed belt or hose cause expensive problems.

Teach her about induction problem (Temperature and/Or electrity)like why its important to use temperature resistant clamp or tape. The redyst she can delegate . But preventive mintenance about induction problem ? Onlher should do this. Why its important to protect sensor no mather where they are .i had 2 Breakdown with the various 18 Wheeler our company has. All the other time I had to get repaired . Induction problem caused by an ill equiped mecanic tht had 2 Saying . We re old school. Bof who cares! INDUCTION PREVENTION . Is the ony thing any non mechanic zhould learn. This is the number one thing that bring huge bill in repair

Good list. I'd add to keep valuables (and even loose change) out of sight in it, college towns can be awful spots for theft. Not everywhere around or even on campus is patrolled. Maybe how and where to safely pull off a road to change that spare. Also how to change a bulb, like a headlight.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Just the basics. She's going off to school and there will be plenty of knowledgeable folks around who will be willing to lend a hand if needed. Her focus should be on her education and not her car.

Yep. An AAA membership for jumps and roadside. You teach how to check oil at fillups, look at lights occasionally. Find a local shop for her to get oil changes at, although I will say that there are millions of people running around with nothing more than Iffy Lube or Valvoline Instant OMG changes for a long, long time. But teach something... I'm still reminded of a young girl and clueless Mom I helped at a gas station trying to figure out how to add oil. " My oil light is on"... 1 quart didn't do, neither did 2. 3 quarts got it to the full mark... "thank you Sir..." Shoot I guess I was old to her.

Lot of good stuff. All I can say is, be patient and watch to see how she absorbs info. Sometimes there is a bit of a gender gap and men talk over women, or (outside of that gap) people just nod instead of admitting they didn't understand. Prioritize the important stuff (oil check, tire change, whatever you think most important) and go from there.

Also, is this a one day thing? I mean, all of this seems elementary to us but if she has no background this might be overwhelming.

Wow, a young lady that asked about ... smart!

What you said, plus the 3.4 coolant thing plus jumper cables.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think it'll be a one or day thing just for an hour or two. Not too much as to overwhelm her. Lights and tire pressures it is.

Tire condition too... Tell her how to spot serious issues. Cords showing, uneven wear patterns across the tire too. This matters as much as pressure. I've had to tell two of my lady co workers about cords showing and obvious uneven tire wear suggesting a serious alignment problem. No one has to be an expert to spot these issues.

Let her do a physical tire change after you show her how to do it. Remember to loosen the nuts first before jacking up.

I assume the friend that is off to college will come back home in a few months when the semester ends. She should be able to do oil changes at home. How many miles is she going to put on the car at school?

My son took my Corolla to school. I taught him to check the oil. That's about all that is needed. I changed the oil before the semester and then between semesters. I checked the serpentine belt and I'm going to change it out so we don't have to worry about it. Changed the coolant so that is not due for a few years. I never checked the lights or tire pressure on the car in 12 years except when the tires looked low, I'm not going to tell my son to check it.

RED light on the dash, pull over if safe and stop.
YELLOW light, call dad after reaching destination.

Teach her how to pay attention to the car and be aware of changing noises or sensations, rather than relying in idiot lights.

Also +1 on oil level at fuel fills, tyre condition, changing bulbs, and the importance of keeping jump leads, spare bulbs, a fuel can, fire extinguisher and NOT using a phone while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back