Manufacturer TSBs Will be Public Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
"...The Department of Transportation (DOT) will post online all vehicle Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) and any other automaker communications to dealers about defects in vehicles, regardless of whether the defects are the subject of a safety recall…"

"...All of this comes on the delayed adherence to a 2012 congressional mandate directing the Secretary of Transportation to make manufacturer communications like TSBs publicly accessible. Previously, such information was limited to industry professionals, either through direct dealership communications or through paid subscription services for automotive technicians. Now, independent repair shops will have access to TSBs for free. Regular consumers not well-versed in the technical language used in TSBs will also have access, but will most likely need assistance translating what can often be highly complicated and specialized bulletins…"

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/car-defect-information-to-become-more-readily-available/

I'm glad to see this. It's been quite frustrating to get access to some of these documents, and sometimes not even the dealers seem to know that the TSBs exist.

This is all fine and dandy but getting the dealer to actually do the TSB is a feat in and of itself.

I've had experiences in the past where I've gone in armed with a TSB printout but the dealer refuses to do anything or shoos me away with their all-too favorite line of "Could not replicate the complaint at this time."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
This is all fine and dandy but getting the dealer to actually do the TSB is a feat in and of itself.

I've had experiences in the past where I've gone in armed with a TSB printout but the dealer refuses to do anything or shoos me away with their all-too favorite line of "Could not replicate the complaint at this time."

Same thing here. Or I get the 'it only applies to U.S. vehicles.' Even though Canadian vehicles were built in the same [censored] factory by the same people with the same parts.

But I guess the addition of DRL's, a Transport Canada Sticker and metric gauges nullifies any TSB. Sigh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
As long as we have the Internet we can find TSBs anyway..More useless legislation?

I'm going to disagree. As long as you know what you are looking for, sure, you can comb forums for that exact TSB.

But how about just entering your VIN someplace and getting a full listing of every TSB for your vehicle?

Or, what about just getting a listing of TSB's period? Let's say you're car shopping, and you spy a 2010 hooptie. Wouldn't it be nice to just look at what might or might not be listed for it? Sure, you'd still need to search forums etc, nothing will replace that.

Of course, getting the dealer to do a TSB is something else. But by having the TSB I'd think DIY'ers would be that much ahead. By listing problem, diagnosis, parts required and then procedure, a DIY'r would be in great shape to do it themselves--or decide if to farm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back