2015 Explorer Sport Ecoboost, Redline 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also ran 7500 mile intervals with a 50/50 mix of 10W-40 Redline and 30 weight Redline race oil in a BMW M3 that specified 10W-60 Castrol. There is a large number of people now running 40W oils in M3s originally specified to use the heavy weight Castrol. I'm not too worried about the Explorer giving up the ghost just because I'm running a light weight Redline oil.

Although highly doubtful an oil related issue will raise its rare head. I've never seen an Owners Manual/warranty booklet reference HTHS...

Run the proper grade oil. If Ford wanted you to run 5w-20 with an hths of 3 the would have speced it. It obviously is not working well in your application.

Besides, any shear whatsoever and it's within the upper limits of 20 grade anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
How is it not working well, and when is one oil analysis on an engine with only its second oil change from the factory fill going to give us much of anything useful?

Looking at the UOA I think we can all agree to call this report less then flattering.

My point is, however, that most second oil changes on brand new vehicles are less than flattering. Trying to choose an oil based upon "wear metals" in a UOA is fraught with pitfalls at best. Trying to do so based upon a second OCI on a brand new vehicle is foolhardy. We have absolutely no trending, not to mention a brand new engine that hasn't even begun to stabilize.

My point is, however, that most second oil changes on brand new vehicles are less than flattering. Trying to choose an oil based upon "wear metals" in a UOA is fraught with pitfalls at best. Trying to do so based upon a second OCI on a brand new vehicle is foolhardy. We have absolutely no trending, not to mention a brand new engine that hasn't even begun to stabilize.

+1

The car is now at about 20k miles and the fuel mileage has jumped pretty significantly. My assumption is the break-in period is complete. The wife makes regular trips from PA to Virginia with the cruise control set at around 70. Used to get 21 mpg round trip, which is now 23 per the lie-o-meter.

I am very confident that the lower rated viscosity Redline is going to turn out to be a good choice. One thing I'd like to point out is that the 5W-20 Redline after 10k miles had higher viscosity than many of the 5W-30 results I've seen for other ecoboost 3.5s at shorter oil change intervals. The Redline doesn't shear or react to fuel contamination like other oils.

Here is the latest UOA on the Redline 5W-20. I switched to M1 10W-30 EP, Fram Ultra filter and another 10k run. I'll post those results in 6 months or so. Note that they call it an F150, but this is in an Explorer Sport.

Explorer%20oil%2025k_zpsrb4j25pt.jpg

and when is one oil analysis on an engine with only its second oil change from the factory fill going to give us much of anything useful?

^^^This. On my F-150's 2nd oil change, I took a sample...but didn't send it in. Not worth the money IMO. The engine's still breaking in and the UOA is going to look like [censored], which will lead me to worry. Unnecessarily.

I think I'll wait till it's near the end of warranty to pay for a UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back