Warranty work - supposed to change filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Went and picked up my mom's 2012 Jeep Patriot from the dealer, it got a new timing chain cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and an alternator. All under warranty. First time back to the dealer since it was new, has 60k miles.

I pulled the dipstick and it was a golden color, not almost clear like brand new oil would be. I also looked underneath, it still has the Wix oil filter I put on it when I changed the oil last year.

Are they supposed to change the oil and/or filter when doing an oil pan? Sounds pretty cheesy. Regardless, I'll be changing the oil very soon.

Considering the repair didn't contaminate the engine (i.e. headgasket etc.) they most likely filled the engine up with whatever bulk they use and the oil that was in the filter mixed in with the fresh stuff causing the not so new color.

Under warranty, CarMax repaired an oil pan gasket leak on my '03 Sable in '07. Material listing included oil pan gasket and oil, not the filter. And they couldn't think to ask if I would pay for the additional filter and quart of oil. Yup, it happens.

I had to have the front main seal changed on my 2014 Ford Explorer and they changed the oil and filter as part of the repair. I agree they should have changed the oil and filter if they opened the engine--which I assume they did (especially since they dropped the oil pan to change the gasket?).

Seems odd, but as they say around here... oil's cheap. Might as well change it soon after having the motor partially opened up.

Depends on the warranty. Generally on a Ford any warranty engine repair where you tear into the lubricated parts we replace the engine oil filter. Some of the aftermarket warranties will not pay for a filter.

Probably depends on what parts are provided by the warranty authorization.

Doesn't shock me that they wouldn't specify a new filter. Sounds like it was gasket replacement, so unless some mechanical component broke and left debris, I doubt a filter is really necessary.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Went and picked up my mom's 2012 Jeep Patriot from the dealer, it got a new timing chain cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and an alternator. All under warranty. First time back to the dealer since it was new, has 60k miles.

I pulled the dipstick and it was a golden color, not almost clear like brand new oil would be. I also looked underneath, it still has the Wix oil filter I put on it when I changed the oil last year.

Are they supposed to change the oil and/or filter when doing an oil pan? Sounds pretty cheesy. Regardless, I'll be changing the oil very soon.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Just take it for an oil change now.

I wouldn't hold this against the shop.
I'm not holding it against the shop, I just expected it I guess. I still like the dealer

Powertrain warranty paid for the gaskets, extended aftermarket warranty paid for the alternator.

Some places do a more complete job than others.We did a warranty at a job site and the engine was a quart and a half low. I called it in and the boss said just top up as needed on us. My boss called stuff like that chum, they will come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back