PCV Replacement for GM 5.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had my PCV changed out in our 1996 GMC Sierra 5.7 (35) engine in several years. Truck gets about 5000-7000 miles a year usage.

Is it a good idea to swap it out, just in case?

I read elsewhere on this forum that dirty ones can sludge this motor.

It's cheap insurance, as far as I'm concerned to get one at my parts store for cheap.

GL

I can't stress this enough - get an OEM valve. I can't tell you the number of aftermarket PCV I've used over the years that didn't function as designed. Fram and Purolator especially were the worst.

I buy Motorcraft for my Fords, AC Delco or dealer for my Chevy, and whatever the Toyota dealer had in stock for the Camry. Yes a few dollars more but well worth it.

I'm looking at Delco....you are 100% right.

My Dodge Ram had a cheap PCV that I replaced last year with OEM Mopar; the old one was weakened plastic....so brittle it crumbled in my hand.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
I can't stress this enough - get an OEM valve. I can't tell you the number of aftermarket PCV I've used over the years that didn't function as designed. Fram and Purolator especially were the worst.

I buy Motorcraft for my Fords, AC Delco or dealer for my Chevy, and whatever the Toyota dealer had in stock for the Camry. Yes a few dollars more but well worth it.

+1. Give it the shake test first but go OEM if it fails

Often you can flush the goo out of them with a good solvent and get more life out of the OEM one. But if you can find one cheap I'd just replace it, takes a whole 3 minutes.

Make SURE you buy an AC Delco. I just did my Buick- twice! I first used a $2 Purolator, which increased consumption. I realized this and bought an AC Delco kit for the 3800 (MAP sensor mount, spring, two o-rings and PCV valve, for $14 on Amazon. Now I know to do it right.

I have this same engine in a 98 chevy truck and I also say use an AC-Delco one if you change it. They are cheap to buy.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

+1. Give it the shake test first but go OEM if it fails

The shake test isn't ideal. Sometimes the PCV valve has failed because the spring gets metal fatigue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back