Maxlife + MoS2 and TCW3 = smooooth running!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running a full synthetic Penrite 10w40 for a couple of OCIs now but it seemed to cause a few seeps/very slow leaks.

Anyway I had a bottle of Maxlife 20w50 from a sale last year so since the weather is still hot here I chucked that in, and also jumped back on the Moly (added a full bottle) and TCW3 bandwagons at the same time!
What a huge difference in the way it feels, in part by the thicker oil but also it reminded me why I used to love MoS2 and TCW3, which both independently gave me improvements in smoothness and possibly slight increases in economy.
No more leaks what so ever now.
Couple of questions as always... When using TCW3 as a UCL does it work by leaving a film on the affected surfaces? And would MoS2 help protect the timing chain, and also the top end on winter cold starts with the thicker viscosity taking longer to get there?
Does anyone have a VOA or even UOAs of Maxlife 20w50? Would be interesting to see what's in it, and also whether it's on the heavy side being a HM oil

Now you know this is all impossible... just wait for it.. all the naysayers will jump in any moment and tell you a perceptively smoother running engine by using additives is just not possible and that MOS2 and TCW3 doesn't work!

I have some cheap Supertech 10w-30 synthetic that I will be putting in the Jeep. Have been considering putting in a molybdenum additive. However, I could have just put in equally priced PYB.

Hmm. I think once I replace the injectors and the harmonic balancer I might have a smooth running engine!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Now you know this is all impossible... just wait for it.. all the naysayers will jump in any moment and tell you a perceptively smoother running engine by using additives is just not possible and that MOS2 and TCW3 doesn't work!

Work how? He already stated that he used a thick oil and attributed the smoothness and quietness to that.

How does one assign a fractional value of perception to the additives with nothing to compare it to?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

Work how? He already stated that he used a thick oil and attributed the smoothness and quietness to that.

How does one assign a fractional value of perception to the additives with nothing to compare it to?

Read again!
I stated that I have used all of the above independently and each made the engine run smoother. Only now I've gone for all 3 at the same time and it made then engine run incredibly smooth.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

Read again!
I stated that I have used all of the above independently and each made the engine run smoother. Only now I've gone for all 3 at the same time and it made then engine run incredibly smooth.

Right, got you.

So how do you break down the improvement in smoothness coefficient? 0.50 to the oil, and 0.25 to each of the additives?

ONE quart/liter of the Max Life (to how much total sump content?) stopped the leaks?!!

I did not think that stuff was THAT powerful, VERY good at what it does, yes, but not that good.
21.gif

Read again!

Right, got you.

So how do you break down the improvement in smoothness coefficient? 0.50 to the oil, and 0.25 to each of the additives?

I'd say 0.40 to the Maxlife being thicker, 0.40 to the MoS2 (I had a huge increase in smoothness when I added it to 10w30 Durablend, which I ran without Moly for a long time prior) and the remaining 0.20 to the TCW3, which again I've added before, half way through an OCI so it was the only variable and that also made the car run and accelerate smoother. All 3 have effectively reduced engine vibrations on their own before so this time I thought I'd see about all 3 at the same time! Haha I'm loving the results and that's before I've even reached the apparent 500 miles it takes for the Moly to plate properly.
I have 2 bottles of 10w30 Durablend and 20w50 Maxlife mixed together to make a 15w40 so I will be running those next through this winter (our seasons are opposite remember!)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
ONE quart/liter of the Max Life (to how much total sump content?) stopped the leaks?!!

I did not think that stuff was THAT powerful, VERY good at what it does, yes, but not that good.
21.gif

No one whole 5L OCI of Maxlife haha I attribute the lack of leaks at the moment mainly to the oil being thicker but once the Maxlife works its magic on the seals it can only help even further.
The Moly will also have some effect on this I believe, as it has been known to help prevent small leaks in a few cases.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

21.gif

No one whole 5L OCI of Maxlife haha I attribute the lack of leaks at the moment mainly to the oil being thicker but once the Maxlife works its magic on the seals it can only help even further.
The Moly will also have some effect on this I believe, as it has been known to help prevent small leaks in a few cases.

OK, it seemed by your first post that you just 'threw in' a SINGLE bottle of the Max Life 20W-50 to your Penrite 10W-40 filled sump.
wink.gif

My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back