Rp hps 5w20 $6 a quart. Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what HPS is, but looks like Walmart wants $38 or so for 5 qt for various Royal Purple products. So it might be a good deal.

That said, what is the application for? I'm personally not sold on RP, but I know it has its fans. I certainly wouldn't want to use it in a low performance / short OCI application (poor cost/mile).

Last edited:
Royal Purple's API oils seem very similar (additive wise) to Valvoline Synpower (according to the PQIA website). Unless the base oil is far superior (which I doubt because the cold weather #'s aren't that impressive) I would just use Synpower and save some cash.

The RP HPS is different than the API stuff...apparently it contains their coveted Synerlec additive (and doesn't meet SN spec because of the higher zinc and phosphorous). If you have a high performance car with flat tappets this oil seems great and is a bargain at $6 a quart.

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/hps-motor-oil/

HPS is a good general-purpose high-performance oil. If you have need for the extra anti-wear (say flat-tappet cam, etc.) then that's a very good price. Base stock is good, the HPS has the older API SL equivalent ZDDP dosage, plus the sulfurized ester Synerlec component as well.

Generally, I don't find their API series oils worth the premium unless the price is down around M1 (which it often is at Pep Boys), and even then is just a break-even. But the HPS does buy you something quantifiable for specific applications that cant be found in the mainstream oils that meet the latest (SN) specs, especially in 30-weight range and lighter. Current API 40-weight and heavier grades still are allowed more ZDDP, so HPS is less of an advantage if you're looking at heavier oils.

I love Royal Purple's HPS line. My engines seem to run smoother and quieter with Royal Purple HPS than any other oil.

Originally Posted By: deven
I love Royal Purple's HPS line. My engines seem to run smoother and quieter with Royal Purple HPS than any other oil.

Could it be your imagination....just because you paid a premium price for an oil that has a little purple dye added.

From a royal purple user i would say NO its not worth it, there are alot better choices out there which are cheaper ....the only reason im still using this is because i have some stocked

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: deven

Could it be your imagination....just because you paid a premium price for an oil that has a little purple dye added.

You know my imagination is pretty scary and sick. If it was that then that Royal Purple would be loud as heck and having a multiple personality disorder inside my engine
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
As the title says. A local automotive accessory shop has rp hps for $6 a quart. Is it worth picking some up?

Sure,why not?! It's cheaper then most places selling it,so go for it!

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
If you feel comfortable paying extra $$$.....for purple dye....go for it.

+1. No question that it's good stuff, just not better than other oils at a lower price such as Pennzoil, mobil, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back