Favorite Album of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: vikings916
Favorite album: Metallica - Master of Puppets

Favorite song: Black Sabbath - Heaven and H@ll

Speaking of 'puppets, did you hear it got inducted into the Library of Congress - National Recording Registry?

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-new...ording-registry

Quote:
The third release by the band Metallica shows the group moving away from its thrash metal history and reputation and exploring new ideas. Thrash, a reaction against the pop metal of the early 1980s, aimed to renew metal by emphasizing speed and aggression. For example, the song "Battery" on this album—with rhythm guitarist James Hetfield's galloping power chords, Lars Ulrich's machine-gun drumming, and lead guitarist Kirk Hammet's blinding tapped leads—is as rousing an example of the sub-genre as one could find and the technical proficiency is astonishing. However, other songs on the record break free of thrash orthodoxy. Cliff Burton's clean bass lines, volume swells, and careful harmonies, for example, on "Orion," set that song apart from the standard metal song. The title track starts unsurprisingly enough with a crisp power chord and catchy riff, but halfway through, the tempo slows and a clean arpeggiated progression, accompanied by cello-like tones, introduces Hetfield's mid-tempo lead which eschews tapping, sweep picking and, other metal guitar techniques. Black Sabbath bassist and lyricist Geezer Butler has commented that Metallica's 1980s output brought the music "back to the spirit of [Black] Sabbath" and, he further emphasizes, "If we started it, then [Metallica] reinvented it."

thumbsup2.gif

Cool, I had no idea.
cheers3.gif

My all time favorite album is Metallica, And justice for all.
I'm not a huge James Hetfield fan, but I absolutely love the music.
And I'm primarily a country music fan.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
A varied list, depending on my mood:

Johnny Cash- At San Quentin
Jim Croce- Life and Times
Kraftwerk- Autobahn
Material Issue- International Pop Overthrow
John Prine- Bruised Orange
Warren Zevon- Stand in the Fire

Wow...I have not heard Material Issue mentioned in a LONG time.
I moved back to Chicago during their heyday and worked with a guy who was good buddies with Jim Ellison and Ted Ansani. My coworker played bass in his spare time and loved to tell a story about seeing one of their very first gigs...he went up to Ansani after the show and told him, "Teddy, even I play bass better than you!!" He gave Ted a lot of credit for really working hard at his craft and becoming a solid pro bassist.
I had moved away by 1996 and was shocked to hear of Ellison's suicide in passing, not sure exactly where I saw it. Material Issue was not really my kind of band, but they were good at what they did and I liked them well enough.

Originally Posted By: abycat
AC/DC the razors edge. best band ever!

I was just about to start high school when "Back In Black" was released, and I figured it was the dying gasp of a band that had just lost its notorious singer and surely could not survive without him. Was impressed by what I heard on the radio and bought the vinyl...man, it blew my early teen mind!
The bell/guitar intro to "[censored]'s Bells" still gives me chills. That album is still up there for me.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
My all time favorite album is Metallica, And justice for all.
I'm not a huge James Hetfield fan, but I absolutely love the music.
And I'm primarily a country music fan.

Reminds me of a meme that I'm unable to post due to reasons of profanity but it has Kanye "the moron" West stating "I'm the number one rockstar on the planet" followed by James Hetfield going "You *bleep*'ing kidding me?". Which pretty much sums it up for me. Flash in the plan garbage like Kanye have to tell everybody how relevant they are. Icons like Metallica, AC/DC, the 'stones.....etc just "are".

He's a 12" Type-R badge on the windshield of a bone-stock Civic with a flatulence cannon going up against a McLaren F1 (or perhaps a Hellcat). Hetfield's bowel movements have more talent than a joke like Kanye will ever have.

Reminds me of a meme that I'm unable to post due to reasons of profanity but it has Kanye "the moron" West stating "I'm the number one rockstar on the planet" followed by James Hetfield going "You *bleep*'ing kidding me?". Which pretty much sums it up for me. Flash in the plan garbage like Kanye have to tell everybody how relevant they are. Icons like Metallica, AC/DC, the 'stones.....etc just "are".

He's a 12" Type-R badge on the windshield of a bone-stock Civic with a flatulence cannon going up against a McLaren F1 (or perhaps a Hellcat). Hetfield's bowel movements have more talent than a joke like Kanye will ever have.

Such rock and roll:

4d68254834f03.jpg

Originally Posted By: urrlord
The late great underappreciated Warren Zevon's The Envoy

Anything Warren Zevon is AWESOME!!

All tied for 1st place.
1) AC/DC Back in Black
2) Bruce Springsteen Darkness on the Edge of Town
3) Meatloaf Bat out of [censored]
4) Boston's debut album
5) Foreigner Double Vision

PS I am 55 years old!

Last edited:
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
Apples in Stereo - Tone Soul Evolution
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Such rock and roll:

4d68254834f03.jpg

When you gotta shop, you gotta shop, LOL!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back