mobil super synethic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always regarded Mobil Super Synthetic as Mobil's budget full synthetic whereas Mobil 1 in all it's flavors is the company's flagship line of oils.

IOW:

Mobil Super 5000 --> Mobil Super High Mileage --> Mobil Super Synthetic ----> Mobil 1 ---> etc.

No, it did not. Thats very interesting. Wal-Mart in my area is the opposite on that. They carry the regular Mobil 1 and not the Mobil Super Synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
I've always regarded Mobil Super Synthetic as Mobil's budget full synthetic whereas Mobil 1 in all it's flavors is the company's flagship line of oils.

I agree. Also I think MSS is a pure Group 3 synthetic, while M1 is a Group 3 & Group 4 synthetic.

Having said that, nothing wrong with a Gp 3 Syn for many applications, especially at the right price.

IOW:

Mobil Super 5000 --> Mobil Super High Mileage --> Mobil Super Synthetic ----> Mobil 1 ---> etc.

This is very accurate. When the Super Synthetic first came out, Mobil had a section on their website where they stated the difference between Mobil 1 and Super Synthetic. Mobil 1 uses the better basestocks and additives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5

I agree. Also I think MSS is a pure Group 3 synthetic, while M1 is a Group 3 & Group 4 synthetic.

Having said that, nothing wrong with a Gp 3 Syn for many applications, especially at the right price.

You're right. When Super Synthetic was first introduced, Mobil said on their website that it was a synthetic that would offer performance matching the performance of a lot of the synthetics on the market. The Mobil 1 oils are a step up from that, according to Mobil.

Originally Posted By: NH73
No, it did not. Thats very interesting. Wal-Mart in my area is the opposite on that. They carry the regular Mobil 1 and not the Mobil Super Synthetic.

Exactly the same here.

Originally Posted By: ted s
did this replace the non extended preformance mobi 1?

Did you ever ask this question to your local store manager? He would probably answer it by saying the shelf only had room for one item and he had to either discontinue the regular Mobil-1, or not introduce the super synthetic.

He obviously chose the super synthetic, since Mobil-1 EP already remains in inventory and probably outsells the regular Mobil-1 there.

Last edited:
FYI, I was noticing that you can get cases of six 1-quart bottles of Super Synthetic at BJs for $29.99, working out to about $5 a qt. Not an amazing price, but not bad for the quart containers. Though right now at Walmart Mobil 1 5 qt. jugs for around $23, which is less per quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back