How often to use fuel injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often do you use a fi cleaner and what kind do you use? Do you notice any benefit to using a cleaner? Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I use a bottle of techron a tank or so before each oil change. Usually with a tankful of costco fuel.

Yep. Techron is recommended to use about every oil change. Even the most aggressive of FI cleaners take a few thousand miles to fully work.

I own TGDI engines so they only get top tier fuel (usually Chevron or Texaco). That is sufficient to keep the injectors and pistons clean.

If they come up with a cleaner that Ford approves to run through the intake system then I will probably use it.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Even the most aggressive of FI cleaners take a few thousand miles to fully work.

Explain? My understanding is that FI cleaners essentially only work while running the tank of gas into which it's added. Once you use that up and refill the tank, the cleaner becomes diluted to the point of insignificant to zero effect.

I use it too often, I first started using one about 10 years ago on a old Camry that liked to stall at stop lights. I used Berryman b12 and I noticed some benefits. I kept using it and started to use several other brands for every other has tank for about 6 tanks and it went away completely.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Never. Costco gasoline with its 5 times the government standard of detergents is all I need.

Wish I had a Costco nearby. We're starting to get a few.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Even the most aggressive of FI cleaners take a few thousand miles to fully work.

Explain? My understanding is that FI cleaners essentially only work while running the tank of gas into which it's added. Once you use that up and refill the tank, the cleaner becomes diluted to the point of insignificant to zero effect.

I mean of continuous cleaner use.

I use either Techron or Gumout Regane depending on which is on sale. Usually do once or twice a year. I use all Top Tier gas as well.

It works so I'll keep doing it.

Never use that..
See youtube from Chris Fix..he tried a few brand of fuel injector and u will see the result..

For injector, i usually use Liquimoly Diesel Purge..how to clean the injector using it? See youtube..it explains clearly

I try to use it before every OCI, if I remember. Sometimes it ends up being around every 10k miles now.

Originally Posted By: nyumski
Never use that..
See youtube from Chris Fix..he tried a few brand of fuel injector and u will see the result..

For injector, i usually use Liquimoly Diesel Purge..how to clean the injector using it? See youtube..it explains clearly

Still waiting on his results using Redline SI-1 (or amsoil). That said his videos are pretty interesting.

I use Redline SI-1 about every 2 OCI's. Might not do anything, but it gives me warm fuzzies. Like others are saying using Costco fuel should be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back