The absolute best paint primer for exterior cedar siding

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might try visiting your local Sherwin-Williams paint store if you have one out there and discussing your exact needs. New work or old with peeling paint etc. will all make a difference and what surface preparation you are willing to do if it is really bad old work.

Thanks Haley10 - makes sense.

Yeah it's 12-13 year old cedar. Some pieces never gripped the paint - they are mill glazed - idiot painters just did splash and dash. I will remove all the old paint on these pieces. Then I'll give the cedar a nice, but rough sanding to open it up.

I just want the best juice!

Pablo what is the finish coat going to be? solid-Stain, paint, semi-stain,??? Some years ago did many cedar sidings in georgia.

I hate vinyl! Vinyl is not final, remember that!

Pabs,

If you have Porter paints out there they make a great primer called...ooopps I forget the name. Its a latex primer, but its a bonding primer thats outstanding. You can even prime over oil with it. You would topcoat with the acri-shield at 2 coats. Great stuff!

Next in line would be Benjamin Moores then Sherwin Williams for exterior applications.

Just remember you need a good adhesive paint with high stain blocking because of the tannin in cedar. Stick with the professional paint suppliers and you won't go wrong.

Pablo,

How are you planning on removing the paint that's on there? I hear that the infrared "silent" paint strippers are unbeatable but are pretty danged expensive.

Found a guy out there in webland who built his own for 40 bucks just out of spite. http://www.oceanmanorhouse.com/paintremover.html

I started making my own version with a better heat insulated handle. Plan to finish it when I get a free evening - rare now that my wife is near due with our second. This should just be the thing to get who knows how many layers of paint off my 99 year old cedar dog-eared shingles.

It's already been painted with solid acrylic latex.

It's 4" clear cedar lap siding in pretty darn good shape....price that out.....uh I guess I wouldn't want to tear it off for...plastic? (besides the cement fiber (Hardy) stuff is still better than plastic)

Anyhow - I am a bit lucky there are maybe 5 or 6 boards that aren't holding paint, so not a lot of stripping to do - it peels right off!

amkeer
quote:

If you have Porter paints out there they make a great primer called...ooopps I forget the name. Its a latex primer, but its a bonding primer thats outstanding. You can even prime over oil with it. You would topcoat with the acri-shield at 2 coats. Great stuff!

Next in line would be Benjamin Moores then Sherwin Williams for exterior applications.

Just remember you need a good adhesive paint with high stain blocking because of the tannin in cedar. Stick with the professional paint suppliers and you won't go wrong.

ditto.
Though partial to ben moore.
Do not go cheap you WILL pay for it in extra labor, paint, and lastability ( if that is a word)

In the process of painting my own house I did a lot of research on a painters forum and in the alt.home.repair newsgroup.

It appeared to me that pro painters did not tend toward using a primer of the same brand as the topcoat, as I would have expected, even when they had a very strong preference for a name brand. Many were using Zinsser primers exlusively, with 123 (latex) for priming over latex, and CoverStain (oil) for new wood, as a transition coat from oil to latex, and for bleed through situations (like over new cedar).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back