Ordering engine parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a couple of older Toyota Land Cruisers that had the engine replaced with a 350 Chevrolet engine. Most places that I know of look up parts by Year/Make/Model. How do you order parts for a vehicls that has undregone an engine swap? Some old timers could look the parts up, but in the computer age, kids would be lost. Your thoughts?

Find a SBC forum! Then you can obsess over casting numbers and how to tell if a later (High-Energy) distributor has been switched to an earlier motor.

Well, if you have a 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser with a 1992 Chevy 350 in it, for engine parts I would order or walk up to the counter and say "I need a water pump for a 1992 Chevy C1500"

If I needed a tie rod, I'd order one for a 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Well, if you have a 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser with a 1992 Chevy 350 in it, for engine parts I would order or walk up to the counter and say "I need a water pump for a 1992 Chevy C1500"

This,exactly!

Ideally whoever built it would have a list of what parts, with part numbers, were used to accomplish the swap. If not, then you need to know exactly what your replacement engine would have been in from the factory. And obviously that won't help with things like radiator hoses, belts, etc. Not to mention, what transmission and t-case were used? What adaptations were made there? If you don't know that, then good luck and prepare to play mix and match. Maybe if you really know your Land Cruisers and SBC engines it won't be too bad, but if not even a vehicle this simple could be a challenge, and there will be a lot of aftermarket "universal" type parts in such a swap.

I have this exact scenario. I have a book I keep with my land cruiser with part numbers that I have bought or know. I also worked wholesale auto parts for many years and know how the game is played. When you replace the clutch be sure to buy the disc for the land cruiser and the pressure plate and the rest for the SBC. The spline on the SBC fits kinda loose on the LC splines

Yep. Don't start telling the min wage jr high kid at the counter about motor swaps his poor little head will explode.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Yep. Don't start telling the min wage jr high kid at the counter about motor swaps his poor little head will explode.

At most chain parts stores here, the response would be "dey ain't no Chevy Land Cruiser in the compruter, you gotta go to da deala fo dat [censored]."

But working a dealer parts counter, yes someone will get turned away without good info for us to work with. I don't mind helping out people who know mostly exactly what they are looking for and don't return it though. Those are usually the people building the car. We have one regular customer who is swapping a LS V8 into some Jaguar, and comes in with a part number or at least knows exactly what year/model to look up. Another guy is putting an LS V8 into I think a Nissan 240SX, and also asks for either specific part numbers or parts for a specific year/model.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

dey ain't no Chevy Land Cruiser in the compruter, you gotta go to da deala fo dat [censored]

This website frowns upon casual racism.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

dey ain't no Chevy Land Cruiser in the compruter, you gotta go to da deala fo dat [censored]

I don't think that's racism. He lives in Alabama, that's just how people talk...

Travel is the best education. Nowhere on Earth they speak Alabama English as beautifully as in Alabama

It's not up to the parts guy to figure it out. How am I supposed to know what YOU did to YOUR vehicle that was never a factory option? You're the one who did it, you're the one who should know which parts it needs, or at least which vehicle the part came out of.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

It's not up to the parts guy to figure it out. How am I supposed to know what YOU did to YOUR vehicle that was never a factory option? You're the one who did it, you're the one who should know which parts it needs, or at least which vehicle the part came out of.

Exactly. It gets old when the high and mighty "car guys" get on their high horse to look down on the parts store employees.

I don't think that's racism. He lives in Alabama, that's just how people talk...

Yep. In the area where I work AND live, that is exactly the response you'd get, regardless of the counterman's skin color (go watch some Yelawolf music videos on YouTube). Apparently acknowledging that much of Birmingham is da hood makes me racist though, probably by someone who hasn't lived here.

It is amazing how many people don't know what they own. Even just regular cars when I ask the year I get "O well I bought it 3 years ago, but it was used. Will that help?"

Anyone doing a modified car would be wise to keep a log of all the modifications they did with part numbers and where they were purchased from.

I have had several cars I put together. I have the parts I need memorized. After all I had a scout.that one always threw the parts guys so it was easier to say I needed autolite #85 plugs and a cap,rotor,points and wires for a 73 elecktra as those parts all fit my scout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back