Delo v Rotella + Conventional v Synthetic v Blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw these prices today at WM and thought I would post for a conversation topic. I know we have beaten these to death, but it is a boring day.

Conventionals (I thought I had photos of these, but missed them):
Delo 400 LE (15W-40) = $11.28
Rotella T3 (15W-40) = $12.97

SynBlends:
Delo XLE (10W-30) = $13.47
Rotella T5 (10W-30) = $16.47

Synthetics:
Delo 400 LE (5W-40) = 17.96
Rotella T6 (5W-40) = $21.36

1. Would you run a conventional when a synblend (Delo) is $2.19 more?
2. Would you run a synblend when a synthetic (Delo) is $4.19 more?
3. Would you run Rotella or Delo?

I have Delvac 1 ESP, Delo 400 LE (conventional), Delo 400 LE (synthetic), Delo 400 XLE, Rotella T6 in my stash and Kendall Super Dxa (synblend) in the sump now, so I am not brand prejudiced, just curious as to the current thoughts about conventionals since synblends and synthetics are fairly cheap these days (especially Delo).

o3gtOI.jpg
FennUs.jpg

If someone is just comparing the price of oil, dino vs blend vs syn, and OCI is 5-7k miles then dino is a reasonable choice, why pay more for blend or full syn while modern dino is more than adequate.

But, taking into account the total cost of maintenance and operating a vehicle oil cost is minimum, even with extra cost of full synthetic fluid.

If you total the cost of all maintenance and operating such as gasoline, tire, brake pad and rotor, wiper blade, ... over 5 years oil is no more than 2-3% of total cost. Why worrying about 2-3%, if a driver go 5 MPH slower on highway he/she can save more than the most expensive oil at every oil change.

I would like to see a UOA/VOA comparison between Delo synthetic and Rotella t6, but I imagine they have quite similar add packs and would probably run whichever is cheaper.

1. I would easily move to the syn blend over the conventional for anything but a beater. I would probably be more likely to use the 15w40 weight if available in synblend in my drift car and would use the conventional 15w40 over synthetic 10w30 in the drift car also.
2. I would move to the full synthetic for any high heat, high performance needs, such as the drift car if i was daily driving it. If it was just drifitng, i would stick with the conventional or semisynthetic 15w40.
3. I answered that at the top. XD

I prefer Delo simply because every engine I've tried it in runs very quietly compared to Rotella. I doubt there'd be any significant difference in wear, one vs. the other.

I would be inclined to try each if gallon jugs werent the only thing available (at my stores) 2 of my cars take 6qts so I prefer to buy single qts for ease

I did the same thing last Saturday when I went to Walmart to get oil for my P/U and my wife's p/u.Walmart isn't a shopping trip it is an adventure.

I did the same thing last Saturday when I went to Walmart to get oil for my P/U and my wife's p/u.Walmart isn't a shopping trip it is an adventure.

Delvac 1 ESP 5/40 has a $12 rebate. NAPA has it for 21.99 and NAPA has a March $10 of any $20 purchase, they have that same $10 off $20 in April.

That's $8.60 per gal after sales tax for EOM's flagship HDEO.

Wow good price on that Delo 400 LE. For about $1.50 you can go from T5 to full syn.

Might buy a jug for the mower/generator.

living in SE texas you have no need to run synthetic. the reg dino oil will be fine. even the walmart brand supertech is a great oil. if you lived where it got below 0 then yes synthetic are a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
living in SE texas you have no need to run synthetic. the reg dino oil will be fine. even the walmart brand supertech is a great oil. if you lived where it got below 0 then yes synthetic are a good idea.

Uh. It's the opposite. Full syn is much more shear stable in an air cooled engine.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Why not Valvoline Allfleet? It's cheap and works well in my tractor. My .02
The red bottle to the left in one of the photos is Valvoline, but Ashland products are off my list (they are permanently boycotted).

That would not be true for my PSD; it takes very little to enter severe service which requires a synthetic according to the OM.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Delvac 1 ESP 5/40 has a $12 rebate. NAPA has it for 21.99 and NAPA has a March $10 of any $20 purchase, they have that same $10 off $20 in April. That's $8.60 per gal after sales tax for EOM's flagship HDEO.
Yep; I have 16 gallons of it in the stash.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Uh. It's the opposite. Full syn is much more shear stable in an air cooled engine.
Depending on the viscosity. The 5w-40 aren't really impressive due to the viscosity spread. If syn motor oils were the cats meow all the trucking companies and manufactures would run syn oil to protect the $50,000.00+ engines.

Well, that's some pretty impressive pricing across the board, synthetic or not. I wish our Walmarts took up that philosophy, though with Canadians, they'd probably paradoxically lose sales. Lowering the price too much would clearly mean that it's an inferior product.

CT8: You might want to check some of Doug Hillary's posts for the capabilities of a modern synthetic HDEO in OTR trucking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back