Ever Get Stuck with Counterfeit Auto Parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just curious if anyone here has bought auto parts, such as wheel bearings, hubs, rotors, axles, filters, etc that later turned out to be counterfeits?

Some of the prices l have seen online for a variety of different parts look "too good to be true".

I know in the past Timken and Centric have issued alerts about their products being counterfeited.

The closest I can come is a hub from "Detroit Axle" that bore no country of origin on its box. It was shipped from "Dearborn Axle" and purchased on eBay, naturally.

I have been burned a few times. My boss will sometimes buy from other vendors and when I open the boxes to check the parts in I find they are fake. I immediately hand it over to him telling him I have already taped the box back up and he can ship it back.

There is a Ford dealer in Kansas that is known to pretty much every other dealer as telling used, or aftermarket parts as new Ford parts. There is a joke that if it is obsolete, you can be sure this dealer will pop up on the parts locator as having it.

I bought a o2 sensor on ebay that was listed as a Denso. When I got it, there were no Denso markings and it was made in Indonesia. The seller gave me a refund when I returned it.

Good used original parts are fine with me. I am perfectly satisfied with E brake equalizer and tension spring I paid 10$ for. NLA from Ford.

Last edited:
yes, of course I have run into conterfeit parts. I actually seek them out...they save me a ton of money and work just fine.

The first time I saw some bogus Ford parts was in the early 80s. The parts box had the infamous GT Ford on the box, but they were not parts manufactured by Ford. About this same time, I saw a bogus Fram oil filter. The inside center tube was made from a Chinese can of peaches. It had the writing all in Chinese and could only been seen when the filter had been dissected.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
The first time I saw some bogus Ford parts was in the early 80s. The parts box had the infamous GT Ford on the box, but they were not parts manufactured by Ford. About this same time, I saw a bogus Fram oil filter. The inside center tube was made from a Chinese can of peaches. It had the writing all in Chinese and could only been seen when the filter had been dissected.

Too bad BITOG didn't exist back then! I would've loved to see that!

Mostly with Amazon. Maybe counterfeit isn't the right word. But previously opened stuff that had the wrong part/diff brand/missing parts.

Amazon's liberal return policy is great until start getting nothing but returned items.

Switched to Rock auto and quit having that problem.

I bought an axle from Amazon. It was from Detroit Axle. It was used with new boots on it. The ends with the bearing areas were painted! When I scraped off the paint, the bearing areas were rusty! . I files for a refund but was told I would have to pay the return shipping. I then filed a complaint with Amazon. After a week of back and forth, I got a free shipping label and sent it back. I still haven't got my money back. I won't be buying anything from Detroit Axle ever again...

So tell me what the difference is between "counterfeit" and cheap aftermarket. I buy the cheapest Chinese parts I can often. I don't expect it to be Borg Warner, Bosch, or GM. I honestly just expect it to work for a couple of years.

Back in the mid/late 80s we got hammered with bogus AC-Delco parts, mainly electrical components. Pretty widespread as multiple wholesalers were moving the fake parts. I think some GM contractors running the maquiladoras in Mexico at the time got their hands on some parts for even cheaper than they could make them, and put them in GM packaging.

Some years ago I bought a voltage regulator for my old Plymouth. There was a symbol on the box and colors just like Chrysler. There was no company information on the box at all. I remember a long time ago seeing pictures of counterfeit Fram oil filters that the insides were made from a can of vegetables. This was long before Photoshop too.

Amazon has a lot of iffy sellers that says one thing and ship another. So far I've gotten some wall decals that were 1/2 of the size it claims (and request me to send things back to China without mentioning being ship from China on the posting nor return to China), and a furnace draft fan that was the wrong brand, wrong rpm, wrong hp, and seller want me to pay for return shipping.

Amazon took care of both incidents.

Amazon has some really iffie venders. I've had few problems and Amazon has taken care of me ok. Kind of like Ebay. You do really have to be careful.

Not counterfeit, but several times I've gotten used or broken junk. Obviously, the customer had returned it and gotten back their money and none of the employees who handled it checked it before putting it back on the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back