Chevy Colorado Vs. Nissan Frontier vs. Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I"m getting serious now.

I've been a Ford guy when it comes to trucks, never had an ounce of problems with them.

Well Ford doesn't make a Mid-sized 4cyl truck. The Ranger is too small.

Went to the Chebby dealer and found a Colorado I like, they have $2500 in factory discounts, I'm under $17K without any haggling yet.

I found a Nissan that I want. I got them to take $1000 off MSRP and my price is $17240.

Don't seem to be getting anywhere with the Taco dealer, they advertised $450 over invoice, but their invoice price is about $1000 over what the internet says on carsdirect and edmunds. Like whatever
smile.gif
If I can get them do agree on a price I could get a Taco for about $16896. I would do that in a heartbeat.

The thing about the chevy is that I'm just afraid if I buy it I will be dissapointed in the long run, then kick myself for buying a chevy.

Nissan and Toyota are well known in the small truck market for being reliable.

So give me some points. Looks like I could probably get the chevy for under $15K no problems. Doubt I could do that on the Nissan or Taco.

Toyota should be the most reliable I would try another Toyota dealer and go armed with the printout of the car prices. Can you wait untill after September for your purchase? I get my best deals then.

My dad has a Colorado and loves it. The only thing he doesn't like is there is no keyed entry on the passenger side. To get in the passenger side, he must go to the drivers side, unlock the passenger side, and walk around to get in the passenger side. He is a big man, so crawling through the truck is not an option. GM says its a safety feature (for what I'm not sure).

I believe the whole Toyota has a higher resale argument is crap. First, if youre getting rid of ANY vehicle when its value is somewhat significant, youre getting poor value/utility from your funds outlay, and youre loosing a lot one way or another. Further, the higher funds that you lay out TODAY will not be recouped TOMORROW when you resell, because tomorrow's dollar will be worth less one way or another. So don't buy for resale value, as youll spend more today, and get less tomorrow. It doesnt just work out to buy on that reason alone, as some people do.

I dont know much about the nissan trucks, and based upon looking at xterras once, was NOT impressed by their fuel economy, compared to other SUVs/trucks. But I dont know enough to talk about them in this comparisson.

A toyota or (maybe???) a nissan would, by consumer reports opinion be more reliable than the chevy. I dont know enough about nissans to say for sure. My experience, though, is that in the severe service of the US Virgin Islands, the majority of vehicles are toyotas and chevys. The toyotas tend to be driven longer (likely because they cost more to begin with), but have about the same problems as a chevy will. Nothing lasts well down there, its rough to drive around. But toyotas will fetcha premium at initial sale and resale, much higher than you see up here. That may say something about toyotas, but then again, driving routinely down there is NOTHING like you see up here. Up here its easy!

My brother was looking at pickups because for a while he was considering getting one. My overall impression was that a colorado will get a little bit better fuel economy than a tacoma. Both in small and larger engine size (2wd MT vehicles were looked at). Further, the colorado will be inherently easier to work on, if you want a bigger engine option, because the colorado's big engine is an inline 5 vs a v6.

Some dislike GM interiors, thats probably what youd end up kicking yourself for. I dont see that the GM powertrain would in any way be lousy if maintained right. Personally, though, I havent gotten tired of my 98 ZR2's interior. Sure, switchgear and radio is standard GM, and, the dash bezel is hard plastic... so what? Did I buy a luxury vehicle? NO! I bought a pickup truck, and all in all, think the interior is fine for what it is.

the colorado and the tacoma's styling are both questionable. The colorado reminds me of a truck that hasnt grown into its body yet. The tacoma reminds me of a little kid stuffing pillows under his shirt to try and look big and tough, when they really arent. The frontier, from what Ive seen, is handsome. Hopefully they wont make it look funny and titan-esque.

Id say that you need to take a good test drive in both. use the GM 24hr test drive on the colorado, if you can. The vehicle has to fit you for you to be happy with it. I love my ZR2, and think its styling is still handsome and good today. The truck rides well, gets decent mileage, is AWESOME off road and in really deep snow, is comfortable (except for legroom - its a std cab and Im 6ft 4) on long rides, and I'm more than happy with it. I cerainly dont regret not getting the tacoma TRD 4x4 equivalent when I was buying - Im glad I got the chevy. And I'm not saying that because I have some hatred for toyota like good ol'boys have between dodge, ford and chevy (**** on each other decals, etc). I like toyota a lot, and (besides my father's corola and GF's mother's camry), have had excellent experience with toyota. I just really like the truck that I bought, and have been extremely happy with the Chevy purchase. YMMV. Of course, youll have toyota owners saying the same, so this point may be moot and only my opinion.

Hope this helps,

JMH

[ April 18, 2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

As far as engine durability goes, the newer, 2.5 nissan 4 cylinder engine, which is based on the the altima and ser engine, but tuned for more low end torque, has short, week connecting rods, and a bad rod to stroke ratio, which puts excessive force on the cylinder walls. I dont think this engine will prove as durable in the long run as the 2.4 engines of the "hard body" nissan truck era. The toyota 4 cylinder was purpose built as a truck engine.

Go to all the Toyota dealers within a 50 mile radius. When you go into each dealership, carry all the internet info you can on an obvious clipboard or binder. Some websites even allow you to find out exactly what dealerships paid for a particular model. Take as much factual info as possible, including exactly what you are willing to pay. Just be sure to understand that they will need to make a market value profit on the truck, and that a Toyota isn't a Chevy.....you WILL pay more for one. Then go right up to a salesperson and say, "I want to buy a truck TODAY, if the price is what I consider right". If you have a trade, don't tell them. Just tell them that you want to settle on a price FIRST. You should be able to tell if they are willing to deal with you right away. You've let them know you're serious and well researched. If they even hint at rudeness or try to charge way more than you're willing to pay, pick up your clip board and let them know that you'll be going to another dealership to BUY a truck. Dealing with them in this way will usually cut through all the garbage that most places try to pull. At least it has worked for me. Just be sure and allow them the chance to deal a bit as well....Toyota's sell easily at MSRP and above, all across the country. They've got a well deserved reputation for quality, which is always something to keep in mind.

MPG figures for base model 4 cyl with 5 speed are as follows

Chevy. 22-27
Taco 22-27
Nissan 21-25

So they are all really close.

Some other reasons I'm considering a chevy are the Gas and water company are using them, so that could prove valuable in getting an account.

There are a ton of them around, so I could do better selling Amsoil to chevy folks as opposed to Toyo or Nissan folks.

They make a topper for the chevy already none for the Frontier or Tacoma (I only buy ARE toppers.)

So I was out pulling stickers off the truck giving it a bath. Might stop down at the chevy dealer to see about the 24hr drive. Going to call on that right now.

Thanks for all the info, especially on the 4 cyl. Nissan don't want an bad engine. I've never heard of bad powertrain problems with chevy's allways just cosmetic stuff.

The Colorado I-4 and I-5 engines are all new. Interesting design features, but no long term proven track record yet.

quote:

lower risk of what, having to replace the exhaust system before the vehicle hits 100k? Both the previa and corolla had to have exhaust work done before they hit that mark!

The previa is up there with one of the best, if not the best vehicles that we've ever owned. Its like new at 186k miles. But please... the exhaust systems suck. Even my mother's cheapo plymouth breeze (which is an excellent car, by the way) has no sign of giving up anytime soon. heck, even the cheapo mitsubishi (dodge) colts that we've owned have had exhausts that lasted longer.

Sorry to steal the post for a sec, but have many toyota owners noticed this on their vehicles? We live in NJ, the roads arent salted that badly around here.

JMH

Lower risk of mechanical breakdown, and lower risk of owner disatisfaction. Statistically this is proven. Now, sure, you may be fully satisfied with a Chevy....just a higher risk.
How old is the Previa? Didn't they stop making them in '97? You're complaining about an exhaust system rusting out in Jersey, with a car that has 186k miles, and is at least eight years old? I wouldn't expect any more than 60 to 80k in an area like yours, for any average vehicle. I had a Toyota pickup (1988) that went 80k and 7 years, with zero exhaust issues. (No salt in my area though). Maybe you need a titanium exhaust system, lol!
cool.gif

Our previa is a 94, bought new. They did stop building them around 97.

The thing is, it and the corolla both had exhaust holes develop in the first 5 years! Definitely way before 100k! The corolla was replaced under warranty, the previa was a minor repair, and cost about $300. Not really an issue, considering how satisfied we've been (and will continue to be well after 200K mi), just odd!

The way most people drive, 60-80k is typical. Apparently a lot of the vehicles then get shipped to other countries. All of our cars last into the 100k+ range. Suprisingly, there is no real signs of corrosion (even on my old MB diesel and BMW), on any of our cars, despite always being used in the NJ/NY/PA areas. I think they use more sand than salt around here though.

JMH

I was interested in the Colorado when it was introduced. The Vortec I-4 and I-5 look really impressive, but with anything new it remains to be seen.

Honest dealers that can shoot straight and have good service departments are important to me almost as much as the truck.

I was thinking the Colorado was out of my price range, so probably Ranger, but sounds like you may be able to get a deal here. Toyota dealers around here just won't seem to make any deals at all.

Why have you eliminated the Ford Ranger as being too small? Don't understand that.

[ April 18, 2005, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

As much as I complain about Nissan, I would buy another Frontier. My next Frontier will be the 4.0L 4X4 with some extra pulling power.

One of the few disadvantages I have seen is the fact you cannot replace the Universal joints (according to Nissan); one has to replace the two-piece driveshaft as one unit. Now the center bearing can be replaced alone, but you have to replace the transmission and differential flange bolts when doing so.

Good News.

Found a Nissan dealer that's selling for about $400 under invoice. Willing to work with the trade. Should be out the door for around $16233 which is about $1000 less than the other Nissan Dealer I called.

On the engine deal, well I'll just have to hope for the best cuase I like the looks and styling of the Nissan best. The engine has a 5 year 100K power train warranty, plus will be running Amsoil ASAP.

Going to be putting a by-pass along with the precharger on this one. I already know where I'm going to mount the by-pass too.

Goood stuff.

Nissan makes a great compact truck. I had one for several years (a 1991 4cyl.), it was a nice running truck all the way up till I sold it, with 80k on it. It even had more power and a smoother running engine than my current little truck, a 2001 Ford Ranger 2.5L (I don't recommend the Ranger for anybody, it's a gutless wonder. Keeps running though...so I'll keep it).
Good luck and I hope you get a great deal.

sounds like you have it all figured out. I agree on the styling of the nissan, I think its the best.

Seems to me that if one drives a vehicle gently enough (doesnt seem that youll be doing hardcore hauling - else you'd probably want a bigger engine), itll last and last, regardless of what design issues may be present. I know that for all the issues with the original Mercedes 3.5L turbodiesel - sold in some of the old w116/126 'SD' cars, the rods were lousy and would bend/break, and often cause oblong bores on the way and other nasty stuff. However, there still are some on the road today, being sold, bought, and used well.

Seems to me that if you dont use max power from the engine, youll limit stress and keep it like new. Essentially the recipe to drive it forever
grin.gif

Good luck with it, let us know how it drives and what kind of fuel economy you get. It would be a neat testament to amsoil to incrementally add syn fluids (mabe the diff first, then the trans, then the engine), and keep a good log over many tanks of fuel after each change, so that we can see how much economy can be gained from switching each fluid from conventional to amsoil syn. Amsoil suggests a 4% or so gain on their diff fluid, last time I saw a bottle, for example, which would be neat to see in practice, in an experiment of sorts.

Redline claims that LSD addtive hardens surfaces, and improves LSD/open diff breakin. That would be the place to start, IMO.

Thanks and good luck!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by ediamiam:
What are your impressions about the driveability between the 3 trucks. Handling, acceleration, ergonomics, the usual stuff we all want to know about?

Man it's a truck with a 4 cyl. Hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back