Dealer left my drain plug loose

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Accord was due for an oil change yesterday afternoon and I went to the same dealer that I have been using since the car was brand new. I usually have a very positive experience at the dealer, I know all the techs on a first name basis and they know me and my car. I take my car to the dealer for service because the car is under warranty, I like this dealer, and their labor rates for simple stuff like oil changes is very reasonable. I went later instead of first thing in the morning because I went shooting and on the way to the dealer I dropped the gun off at the house and picked up 5 quarts of Synpower and a Fram Ultra from the stash at the house. I pulled in the service bay and Steve greets me and take my info as usual and as he is taking my info I ask who is working today and he says its just me. He puts the car on the drive on lift and I ask if it is cool if I hang in the shop and he says yes. I usually hang in the shop and stay out of the way but casually chat with the techs as they work on my car and never had a problem. Also for what is worth Mason usually works on my car, not Steve. Steve seems kind of forgetful was constantly getting pulled off my car because he was the only guy left in service at 4:30 PM on a Saturday. He almost put a stock Honda A02 filter on my car instead of the Fram Ultra that I brought and I had to remind him that I brought my own oil and filter. He finished the job and I pay the $17 to the cashier while he brought my car up front and they I leave. As soon as I pulled out of the lot I have a gut feeling that something is wrong and I smell oil buy the time I get to the first stop light. I only live 5 minuets away from the dealer so I make it home and right away I start checking stuff. Oil cap on, check, proper oil level, check, filter on with no leaks, check, loose drain plug, check.

So did you check that drain plug yourself? They could have spilt it doing the change and not wiped it off with a rag.

Let management know without casting aspersions on Steve or the dealership and see what they comeback with. I would expect the next two or three oil changes would be on them.

Had a similar instance about two years ago, when I had a local Quick Lane change the oil in our 2000 F250 w/7.3L diesel. I drove 20 miles home without incident. Next morning, I had one quart of oil that had leaked out all over my driveway. Had the wife take video of my tightening the drain bolt, and then drove to the Quick Lane. They comped the oil change, gave me a quart of oil to replenish and an absorbent blanket for drying up the mess. I don't use that dealer for anything anymore.

Still haven't figured out why one would put a drain plug in without tightening it while you are there. To me, that is not a "go back and do later" task.

I clearly told them I would not let them touch my vehicles again, so an offer of more oil changes for free was a no-go.

36.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
So did you check that drain plug yourself? They could have spilt it doing the change and not wiped it off with a rag.

Yes I checked myself and tightened it. I watched the tech spray solvent on the oil pan and control arm to clean up excess oil after everything was drained. The oil drops on the pan were fresh from the drive home.

What am I missing here? You bring your own oil and filter let them do it then drive home check the filter, check the oil level, get the socket and ratchet and check the plug, why not just throw a pan under it and do it yourself?

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Let management know without casting aspersions on Steve or the dealership and see what they comeback with. I would expect the next two or three oil changes would be on them.

I will be calling Mike on Monday to talk. I'm not gonna be an [censored] about it but let him know what happened.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What am I missing here? You bring your own oil and filter let them do it then drive home check the filter, check the oil level, get the socket and ratchet and check the plug, why not just throw a pan under it and do it yourself?

Because I normally do not double check there work but I had a bad gut feeling this time. To pay them $17 for labor while I stay clean, drink a free Pepsi, I don't have to dispose of the old oil, and I have a paper trail for warranty is usually worth it.

I don't understand, either. Do it yourself and save the $17 and avoid the drama.

Just keep the receipts from where you bought your VSP and FRAM Ultra, and change the oil yourself. Document everything you do in terms of maintenance.

The dealership would have to prove a lack of oil changes as a reason for denying warranty work. As far as I'm concerned, it will be difficult if not impossible unless your engine is all sludged up.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Just keep the receipts from where you bought your VSP and FRAM Ultra, and change the oil yourself. Document everything you do in terms of maintenance.

The dealership would have to prove a lack of oil changes as a reason for denying warranty work. As far as I'm concerned, it will be difficult if not impossible unless your engine is all sludged up.

That dosent work when you get a Fram Ultra for free and all my oil is from Autozone end of year sales. I cant prove anything when I bought 30+ quarts of oil at the same time for $2 a quart.

whistle.gif
28.gif

I agree. Free Pepsi notwithstanding....

Last edited:
this is exactly what I thought...

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Had a similar instance about two years ago, when I had a local Quick Lane change the oil in our 2000 F250 w/7.3L diesel. I drove 20 miles home without incident. Next morning, I had one quart of oil that had leaked out all over my driveway. Had the wife take video of my tightening the drain bolt, and then drove to the Quick Lane. They comped the oil change, gave me a quart of oil to replenish and an absorbent blanket for drying up the mess. I don't use that dealer for anything anymore.

Still haven't figured out why one would put a drain plug in without tightening it while you are there. To me, that is not a "go back and do later" task.

I clearly told them I would not let them touch my vehicles again, so an offer of more oil changes for free was a no-go.
yep the bolt is either tight or out

I guess their mechanic didn't know how much 34 newton meter was in pound feet . men I cannot wait for USA to do the like the rest of the world .(go metric) OK I all seriousness even if its a mistake I would not go backto that Honda and I would report them to Honda USA or Honda Canada. They have the freaking book for every torkable part gees. Its there for a reason . this is sad . most garage literally fire an employ if they dont have or ask for a specific tool they don't have. Garage reputation is so low now a day(because mom and pop chop thong in the cheek fix , you would think the official dealer are very carefull

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see if their response includes mention of you having distracted their tech.
Be prepared for the "insurance regulations forbid you going into the garage" speech even though you know and love these people.

I wonder if the deranged relative of the dealership's owner was in that Saturday. You know, the one with the exaggerated sense of territory.

Oddly enough I went to do an oil change on my pal's "new-to-him" '08 Nissan Frontier and found the filter and drain plug barely beyond finger tight. My friend mentioned having gone to a local mechanic/tradesman for something.

Just don't know.

This is why I'm not using the free oil changes GM gave me with the 2015 Cruze. They don't have Mr. Goodwrench doing oil changes and it's more convenient for me to do it myself anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back