75% of wear occurs at startup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you buy the biggest and best oil filters you can fit (including by-pass where appropriate) and the best air filters you can get and that first number drops away significantly
smile.gif

And run magnetic drain plugs to trap bigger particles that you don't want going through your oil pump...

Last edited:
Amazing .I never thought the research on EGR was done at the time of the article. I am going to have to reread it .

Originally Posted By: supton

Thats because you start your engine and then run for a week, lol.

I have fewer starts per mile also.

Well, no.. I like not spending any more for fuel that necessary. My truck gets shut down every night, and several times day as well. Except for sometimes a turbo cool down and a morning warm up, the engine off if the truck isn't working. At 1+ gallon per hour idling time, I prefer to keep that money in my wallet. I actually have to pay the bills unlike fleet drivers and Smokey and the Bandit wannabes.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Well, no.. I like not spending any more for fuel that necessary. My truck gets shut down every night, and several times day as well. Except for sometimes a turbo cool down and a morning warm up, the engine off if the truck isn't working. At 1+ gallon per hour idling time, I prefer to keep that money in my wallet. I actually have to pay the bills unlike fleet drivers and Smokey and the Bandit wannabes.
My friend worked for GFS. They wanted you to shut off the truck at stop lights.

Last edited:
Yeah, some place take things to an extreme. I still use a little bit of common sense. My idle time for everything.... stop lights, traffic, warm ups, cool downs, everything averages about 7% of total engine on time. That is pretty low for the average commercial truck. If the truck is going to be off for an extended time with some electrical demands, I shore power hook up the on board Xantrex inverter / charger to keep batteries up or use a portable generator when away from a shore power hookup.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I side with the driving to warm up vs idling. I have to cover a couple of miles of gravel road before I reach the highway whenever I leave the house, so that slower, light driving has the engine at full operating temperature before reaching the hard top. Far faster than a equivalent few minutes of idle time would do. I rarely let my pickup engine idle for more than a minute before heading down the driveway, and that is only so that oil is fully circulating from the startup.

do American trucks use air pressure for braking?

Let's keep in perspective what "start up" means for an automotive engineer. It's the time from when you start the car to when it hits equilibrium temperature.

Equilibrium temperature is the key. It's when the last part of the engine stops getting any warmer. The typical figure quoted is 20 minutes of driving. Some cars can take a lot longer that that! My daily driver Scion xB is around 70 minutes (when the oil temp stops rising).

Hi,

Some comments (from old data) for what they are worth;

I agree with the title of this Thread when "start up" is quantified as in Skid's post above

Piston "squirters" are installed for a purpose - and obviously part of the overall design. When these are misaligned or incorrectly installed they can and do cause severe engine failures! I'm reviewing two at this moment (brand & application confidential)

In my OTR Truck operations the "Stop Idle" time averaged at 5%
Mostly overnight operations in ambient temps as follows - 58% -(0-10C) 30%-(11-17C) 10%-(18-23C) 2%-(25-30+C)
Loaded (90%) at 42.5 tonnes, Fan On time averaged 30%

Engines were on Del 1 5W-40 (see * below), they were started at low temps, driven at low RPMs around 2kms to a Motorway entrance before high speed operations. With a centrifuge and SS FF filter inserts this enabled oil to effectively never be in filtration by-pass

I've published photos of engine tear down resultrs after around 1.2m kms on here before

I believe in drive off after oil pressure is obtained on initial cold startup - limiting revs until normal coolant temp is achieved

The Porsche Musuem's expensive Classic Fleet have their engines warmed up to 80C before serious revs/load is applied (well, the last time I was in Zuffenhausen at least). I've always used this process too

* Extended OCI costs;
M 15W-40 20kkms $1340 & 23 lost hours
M 15W-40 30kkms $1097 & 15 lost hours
SS 15W-40 40kkms $900 & 11.5 lost hours
Syn 5W-40 80kkms $781 & 5.75 lost hours

I hope this is of interest

For marine diesel engines, they idle much more in port as part of keeping ships systems on line and to be ready to move if there is a change in dockage or anchorage. It takes a l-o-n-g time for marine engines to hit equilibrium
laugh.gif

But that said, many ships can get underway from cold in 15 minutes if they have to. USCG can get underway in less than 5. It all depends on how your support systems are arranged and if you have heaters or not ...

For a gasoline automotive engine, start, idle for a few to be sure you have oil pressure and drive off... Don't get into full boost until you have block heat.

Police, Fire and EMS all go to full power regularly in less than 60 seconds. Those engines last well over 100,000 miles unless wrecked ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
So you buy the biggest and best oil filters you can fit (including by-pass where appropriate) and the best air filters you can get and that first number drops away significantly
smile.gif

And run magnetic drain plugs to trap bigger particles that you don't want going through your oil pump...

Well the (second-hand) report is about "premature failures" so I'd guess a lot of them would be where the air filtration was compromised, say by a split hose, or a holed filter.

I suppose its reasonable to assume a lot of "normal" wear is down to airborne abrasive as well though.

I have seen "somewhere" a comparison of air filter efficiency. IIRC AC Delco came out well, which is good because I can get it here. Improvement beyond that'd probably need some DIY.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back