1976 Goldwing GL1000 coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new to me 1976 goldwing needs somewhat specific coolant... Most owners use coolant for common passenger vehicles, to stop being ripped off when buying small and expensive motorcycle specific containers of coolant. I don't know if what is in the bike currently is the best, but ideally the coolant I'm looking for is:
1) Ethylene glycol base
2) Compatible with yellow metals including the brass
3) Silicate free
4) Compatible with aluminum engine blocks

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and I'm hoping to buy 1-2 typical sized containers (~3.7x litres each) so I can drain, fill, run and drain the system before doing a honest fill. The dealership really doesnt sell anything so specific and the 4 auto parts stores near me don't carry exactly what I need.
Can anyone suggest a specific coolant that meets the requirements?
Thanks!

If you flush it properly beforehand, you can use anything you like. Personally id use G11 because I have 4 or 5 gallon jugs of it at home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bikeman
A new to me 1976 goldwing needs somewhat specific coolant... Most owners use coolant for common passenger vehicles, to stop being ripped off when buying small and expensive motorcycle specific containers of coolant. I don't know if what is in the bike currently is the best, but ideally the coolant I'm looking for is:
1) Ethylene glycol base
2) Compatible with yellow metals including the brass
3) Silicate free
4) Compatible with aluminum engine blocks

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and I'm hoping to buy 1-2 typical sized containers (~3.7x litres each) so I can drain, fill, run and drain the system before doing a honest fill. The dealership really doesnt sell anything so specific and the 4 auto parts stores near me don't carry exactly what I need.
Can anyone suggest a specific coolant that meets the requirements?
Thanks!

Personally I prefer the JD Coolguard II available at any JD dealer.

Go to the local auto parts store and start reading labels. Silicate free is the big one to look for. The containers show what their intended vehicle specs ae so it's easy to find what your looking for. Back in '76, the specs were for automotive fluids and oils.,,

Zerex or Beck/Arnley Asian. Honda coolant from a car dealer is acceptable, and not too expensive as well. Distilled water, .88 a gallon at WM to mix.

Last edited:
Zerex Asian is now available at WM (although it's called Valvoline Asian)......another option would be Peak Global which is available at K-Mart, Walgreens and NAPA.

PS: Those early GW's were nice.....much more basic than the more modern versions....they can run nearly forever too...Good Luck with it...

I run Peak Loong Life in my '82 GL1100, plus my other bikes. I had a Honda ST1100 trash a water pump, possibly due to silicates, so I'm pretty careful about the coolant I use. The Peak Long Life seems to be good stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back