6.0 powerstroke owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did some work on the old 6.0 today. 6.4 banjo bolt swap. The 6.4 bolt flows way more and doesn't have a check valve in it. it is the bolt that goes right into the front of each head to supply the injectors with low pressure fuel. I have bigger injectors, a high hp tune and a blue spring upgrade already. Next fuel system upgrade will be the regulated return but still use the stock pump.

any 6.0 guy that is researching this upgrade will see alot of different opinions. They may be check valves but they don't work. I could blow through mine the same amount but both ways. And about a teaspoon of fuel came out the head and line when removed. Not much at all.

so after I primed the system with the key 3 times and checked for leaks I fired it up. started exactly like normal for a warm start but idled noticably smoother. After idling for a couple minutes I slowly raised the rpm and it was smoother above idle. I havnt taken it for a drive yet but I'm expecting some good results.

Nice. Sometimes I wish I had a PSD in my F-350, but my lowly little 5.4 does everything I need and doesn't complain. I've literally had zero repairs in the 5 years I've owned it, only normal maintenance items.

So many people love to complain about how horrible the 6.0 is. While they certainly do have their issues, with the right work done to them and proper maintenance they can actually be a great engine.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Nice. Sometimes I wish I had a PSD in my F-350, but my lowly little 5.4 does everything I need and doesn't complain. I've literally had zero repairs in the 5 years I've owned it, only normal maintenance items.

So many people love to complain about how horrible the 6.0 is. While they certainly do have their issues, with the right work done to them and proper maintenance they can actually be a great engine.
ya $8000 later.stick with your 5.4

Originally Posted By: Chris142
ya $8000 later.stick with your 5.4

That $8000 would buy a lot of gas for my V-10 Ford. It's not glamorous, but it pulls like a mad ox.

Or wait until the model year close-out and get enough discount to negate the cost of the diesel engine.

If it doesn't cause a hard start, I wouldn't worry about it. Never really worked on many 6.0's though. But I'm sure the check valve was designed too keep the heads primed with fuel. Duramax trucks have a check valve in the Filter Head, I removed mine right after I bought it with no issue & a Duramax doesn't have a lift pump from the factory. Installing an AirDog lift pump made a big difference in my truck.

Does the stock 6.0L lift pump flow enough GPH for bigger Injectors?

Lots of people talk trash about the 6.0L PSD, Most have never owned one, Including me. Still see a ton of them on the road.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Or wait until the model year close-out and get enough discount to negate the cost of the diesel engine.

^^^X2, Did the same thing with my '06, It helped the body style was changing for '07 model year trucks & mine is a loaded 2wd that no one wanted, Had been sitting on the lot for 5 months. I got it cheaper than some of the new body style 4wd Gas rigs that were on the same lot.

Yeah alot of people knock them but those usually are the people that don't maintain them and they suffer the consequences of that. Just came back from a trip to the store. And it preformed perfectly. Smooth power and idle and great starts. seems a bit quicker to start than before. full throttle power and smoothness seems quite alot better. Very pleased with this upgrade.
Oh and yeah with the blue spring and 155/25 injectors I have enough fuel. Can't go any higher though.

Last edited:
I still want a 05-07 6.0 for a personal truck. I like how the trucks look out of all of them. Well the 6.7s are better looking, but I don't have a first-born to sacrifice to my general manager.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I still want a 05-07 6.0 for a personal truck. I like how the trucks look out of all of them. Well the 6.7s are better looking, but I don't have a first-born to sacrifice to my general manager.

05-07 are nice...Ford addressed a few things with the later models, but it seems to be a wash in areas. The 05 has a larger water pump, but a compromised square EGR cooler. Later model FICMs had a different flash that limits power, IIRC. The same torque to yield bolts are still there. Everything can be fixed though, and way less, as you said, than a newer truck. In fact, the reputation of the 6.0 is keeping these trucks value depressed, and I'm OK with that.
I really like my 03. Mine is an early build, no troubles so far in 13 years. I am seeing about 15 degree deltas now while towing though, and knowing I want to travel some next year, she goes in the shop this week for some work. Studs, head gaskets, new oil cooler, BPD EGR cooler and water pump. I'm sending the FICM to a company for inspection and reflash with the Atlas tune.
If I'm doing one thing, I'm doing it all... I like the truck that much. Thanks for reminding me about the banjo bolts, I had forgotten them.
Off topic, but there is a company in Tennessee hot rodding the 6.0 with a 6.4 crank, much like dropping a Chevy 400 crank in a 350 block. They are turning out 6.3 long blocks with 445HP and 850 lb-ft of torque stock. Hang on to your A Fred!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil

05-07 are nice...Ford addressed a few things with the later models, but it seems to be a wash in areas. The 05 has a larger water pump, but a compromised square EGR cooler. Later model FICMs had a different flash that limits power, IIRC. The same torque to yield bolts are still there. Everything can be fixed though, and way less, as you said, than a newer truck. In fact, the reputation of the 6.0 is keeping these trucks value depressed, and I'm OK with that.
I really like my 03. Mine is an early build, no troubles so far in 13 years. I am seeing about 15 degree deltas now while towing though, and knowing I want to travel some next year, she goes in the shop this week for some work. Studs, head gaskets, new oil cooler, BPD EGR cooler and water pump. I'm sending the FICM to a company for inspection and reflash with the Atlas tune.
If I'm doing one thing, I'm doing it all... I like the truck that much. Thanks for reminding me about the banjo bolts, I had forgotten them.
Off topic, but there is a company in Tennessee hot rodding the 6.0 with a 6.4 crank, much like dropping a Chevy 400 crank in a 350 block. They are turning out 6.3 long blocks with 445HP and 850 lb-ft of torque stock. Hang on to your A Fred!

The 15 degree f delta is for an unloaded truck at 60 mph, but if you're tearing into it might as well replace the oil cooler also. I had an '07 that I ran until 213,000 mi. before I traded it in without one issue. While I do own a '15 powerstroke that '07 I will always be fond of and hated to trade it. It began to rust around the rear wheel wells.

The 6.0 gets a bad rap everywhere, I also had an '04 that I ran over 100,000 trouble-free miles. They were such a power improvement over the 7.3, along with the addition of the TorqShift transmission.

Originally Posted By: beanoil

every vehicle has their issues that's for sure. I deleted my egr system so I don't have that worry. even the egr butterfly which gave me a huge difference with my turbo and spooling. my oil cooler was starting to reach 10 degree deltas but I take my rad overflow tube off and the line that comes from the cooler and blow compressed air down it once and a while and it brings the deltas back to 5 degrees.

i'm sitting right at 600hp / 1000ftlbs so it's really fun to drive. especially with the new trans. pretty hefty built one. got a few more engine upgrades to do but need 4 new shocks and tires soon so engine will have to wait.

I know! Just pull the cab, pull the whole engine apart, replace and upgrade almost every component sitting on top of the engine, use special additives to prevent stiction, and watch out for your oil shearing down, and thousands of dollars later you have a pretty decent diesel engine!

Heaven only knows why Ford paid millions to run screaming from their contract with Navistar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back