Changed out 1 quart of my oil today in preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
A ride. Me and some buds are leaving Sunday for about 3k mile trip over next 8 days.

The Harley had about 3k miles on the HD 20w50 oil in the crankcase. I drained out 1 quart and put in a quart of Valvoline synthetic VR1 20w50 oil. I figure that should keep the oil additives in good shape for the 3k miles. Valvoline claims high zinc levels on the oil.

Changed out the primary fluid also. Tranny oil is still new looking.

Heading out from AL to Amarillo, TX by the back road and long route. Should be a blast.

Will get her washed up and loaded tomorrow as we leave at 8 AM Sunday.

Do any of you guys ever do a partial oil change or am I just crazy? Maybe its BITOG

See ya later

How many quarts does it take?....I probably would have changed it all...but 1 qt. is better than nothing.

Might have been ok with what was in there. But yea it should be fine. Just check the level every couple fill-up and ride safe.

To me it sounds like all you did was dilute the new qt of oil with 3 qts of used oil. You really should have changed it all. The VR-1 oil is good stuff, so when you get around to changing the oil again, use that instead of Harley's overpriced oil. BTW, unless your having major transmission problems, the trans oil will always look like new. It still needs to be changed at the 10k interval.,,,

I guess you though doing a full change at 3000 miles was to soon and wanted to wait until 6000 miles?

If so, man, I mean you have a 2014 Ultra and worried about changing oil?
If I felt as you, I would have at least pulled the drain plug, let all the oil drain out (about 3 quarts) and refilled with the same oil, then when I returned do a full change at 6000 miles with a new filter OR if I only wanted the 1 quart trick, which isnt for me, but I would have used the same type and brand.

BTW! HAVE A GREAT TRIP! Good god, sounds fun!

Last edited:
Yea thought I would get a mixed bag of thoughts. 3k is early for overpriced HD branded oil. So with the new quart of VR-1, I am sure it is good for 3k more miles.
Probably would have been good without the new quart.

Anyway, thought I would enjoy the thoughts of you guys. This trip will be a blast through Arkansas mountains, Texas canyons, Mississippi delta region and a bunch of other stuff. Not to mention good eating.

Switch to Redline oils and you can easily go to 6000 in the engine and primary and if you get the shockproof heavy for the trans it will go 20-25000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back