1/2 qt low---ok to add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked my oil in the Sienna. At about 3200 miles into OCI, it is 1/2 qt low.

I would normally just have added the 1/2 qt, but I saw in my owner's manual, in bold print, the following sentence:

If the oil level is below or only slightly above the low level, add engine oil of the same type as already in the engine.

The oil level is 3/4 of the way up, between the low and full marks on the dipstick. It is nowhere near "below or only slightly above the low level."

Stupid question here: does this mean it is best to wait for that level to drop, before adding oil?

Right between the marks is where I like it.

I suspect the owners manual states not to add until at the low mark so that you do not over fill.

Is this a new to you vehicle? how hard do you drive?

I'd be tempted to wait until it needed a qt, then either add or change. See if it is consuming, and at what rate. But that assumes conservative driving, not towing--otherwise I'd top off.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
They don't want to run the risk of measuring challenged people from overfilling. If it is 1 qt low, there isn't much of that happening.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Whimsey

OK if that is the only reason for that comment in the manual (don't overfill), then I'll go ahead and fill it up.

One more question---when checking AFTER I added oil---should I run it for a few mins or even let it idle, or could I check it again immediately after pouring it in?

Originally Posted By: supton
Is this a new to you vehicle? how hard do you drive?

I'd be tempted to wait until it needed a qt, then either add or change. See if it is consuming, and at what rate. But that assumes conservative driving, not towing--otherwise I'd top off.

I bought it when it was new. I don't abuse the engine, although it typically sees a lot of 10 mile or less trips in the city. No towing at all.

As far as waiting until it needs a quart before topping off---why? Isn't 1/2 qt low with 5qt capacity removing 10% of the lubrication from the engine?

As far as finding out if it is consuming oil, I have 1800 miles left before oil change (target at this point is 5000 mile OCIs). I will check oil every few hundred miles now, to see if it is dropping---and of course, check right after it gets changed next.

Originally Posted By: paulri
OK if that is the only reason for that comment in the manual (don't overfill), then I'll go ahead and fill it up.

One more question---when checking AFTER I added oil---should I run it for a few mins or even let it idle, or could I check it again immediately after pouring it in?

Don't let it run, don't idle it, just let it sit so the oil you added can drain to the sump and be measured by the dipstick

Originally Posted By: Olas

Don't let it run, don't idle it, just let it sit so the oil you added can drain to the sump and be measured by the dipstick

Exactly. In time based on the oil level on the dipstick you'll know exactly how much oil you'll need to top it up.

Originally Posted By: Olas

Yep. Starting it will only serve to smear the dipstick to [censored] with oil then you have to wait for everything to drain back into the sump.

As far as being 1/2 qt low, that usually puts you right in b/w the low and high marks on the stick. That's where owner's manuals say the level should be anyway. If it bothers you that much, you can top it off but be careful not to overfill. Half quart comes out fast.

I'd top it off. But if your dipstick is anything like my Sienna's, it might be really hard to read correctly.

OK, it really looks like nobody here has a big problem with being 1/2 qt low. If that's the case, I won't add any.

I'm a bit surprised at that, though.But then again, you folks know more about engines than I do. That's why I joined this forum.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TmanP
I'd top it off. But if your dipstick is anything like my Sienna's, it might be really hard to read correctly.

+1 check your oil level after the car has sat overnight to get an accurate reading. It takes several hours for all of the oil to return to the sump on all of my Toyota engines.

Funny you should mention that. I had to take 3 or 4 measurements. The first few, oil was up and down teh dipstick, at least on one side; but all the way across teh disptick, it was 2/3-3/4 full. It was only the last measurement that I took, where it was rather clear. I just assumed that the streak of oil up the dipstick was residual oil from the sides of the case for the dipstick, but I wanted to be sure.

Originally Posted By: Doog

+1 check your oil level after the car has sat overnight to get an accurate reading. It takes several hours for all of the oil to return to the sump on all of my Toyota engines.

Hmmmm. Both my cars' manuals say to wait a few minutes after car is used, to check oil.

Just checked my oil in the Sienna. At about 3200 miles into OCI, it is 1/2 qt low.

I would normally just have added the 1/2 qt, but I saw in my owner's manual, in bold print, the following sentence:

If the oil level is below or only slightly above the low level, add engine oil of the same type as already in the engine.

The oil level is 3/4 of the way up, between the low and full marks on the dipstick. It is nowhere near "below or only slightly above the low level."

Stupid question here: does this mean it is best to wait for that level to drop, before adding oil?

Nowhere does it say to wait. But when the level gets as low as mentioned in the manual, you lost the option to wait and adding is mandatory...

I only check after the car has sat for hours (ie a cold engine). I will always add a few ounces as needed to keep it on the full mark. There is normally no problem running a few ounces above the full mark either. Some cars that are run hard, might benefit from an extra 1/2 quart above full to ensure nothing gets uncovered during extreme handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back