cooling air charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked around at engines and do not see much about turbocharging. I have a DD brochure that says it uses turbo compounding for some benefits.

What I am searching for is an engine that uses a turbo. Much like DOHC engines use the cam and top end for their power, I want a diesel engine that may not be the biggest or the most sophisticated, but one that focuses its use on boost.

back story, I am driving an International Eagle about 11 years ago and I think I was in or near the Rockies and the turbo output seemed so great. It was like the Eagle had a small engine, but the turbo charge really took hold.

I am interested in driving a Coronado one day and the engine choices are DD13, 15, 16.......I initially wanted the 13 with high levels of boost instead of the lugger 16......But then cooling air charges (if equipped) appeared before me. I began thinking maybe that ride 11 years ago was so good because it was intercooled.

So, where can I look for turbocharging specifications, literature, parts and equipment to find out if I would like to outfit an OTR Coronado with a DD13, 15, or a 16. I am most interested in smooth boost and not brute strength. So, it seems a DD13 capable of high boost with some sort of cooling would be best. Does intercooling, aftercooling, air to air, liquid, whatever do much beside reduce detonation by lowering air temps? What is going on with turbocharging these days? There seem to be stages, variable vanes, and all kinds of ways to cool the air charge that I feel left out!

Thank you,
Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back