75% of wear occurs at startup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oft quoted, and used to misinform often, but here's a paper that states it.

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/26638/0000180.pdf

Will try to dig up the other mentioned papers.

Quote:
The cylinder may wear more at TDC than elsewhere [l - 41 but there is measurable wear all over. The piston rings rather than the piston are the main cause of cylinder wear. There is higher wear at TDC than elsewhere because it is the location of the highest contact pressure, the location of the greatest concentration of acids and the location of the thinnest lubricant film. On the latter point, there have been several attempts to calculate [ 5 - 81 and measure [4, 9, lo] the lubricant film thickness between piston rings and cylinder wall.

The film thickness beneath the top compression ring at TDC was found to be very small, in the range 0 - 3.0 pm, because of the low sliding velocity at that location. The maximum oil film thickness was found near the center of the stroke where the maximum speed is reached. This applies, of course, to the condition of normal running. All engines that stop and start do so with very thin lubricant films at all locations. For per- spective on the influence of oil films, Gumbleton [ll] found that 75% of the total wear which took place during a 2 h run occurred in the first 6 min. Cylinder wear in the progressive stage may occur by several mechanisms but mostly by abrasion and corrosion. Some abrasive wear is caused by par- ticles left in the engine during manufacture and assembly [12]. This is cor- rectible by proper cleaning during the various stages of manufacture [13]. A form of abrasion may result from debris accumulated from various wear mechanisms. However, dust from the intake air or dirt in the lubricating oil probably causes most of the abrasive wear.

Corrosion was found by Williams [14] to be important, particularly under cold-running conditions, i.e. when the products of combustion con- densed on the cylinder walls. The acidic condensate causes high wear rates by corrosion [15 - 171. This mode can be reduced by using thermostats so that engines spend less time running at low temperatures and by the use of acid-buffered lubricants [ 18, 191.

A mechanism of wear by formation and removal of oxides should also be included in the list. This mode of wear is seen in the wear of lubricated steel but it has not been reported to occur in engines. 2.3.

Remember how lubing the engine works for the cylinders. The piston comes to a stop before changing directions[dwell at TDC as well as BDC]. Then add to that the combustion heat as well as pressures on the rings from the combustion as well chemicals from the combustion as mentioned. Also the richer fuel mixtures when the engine is cold. As well as the looser clearances because the piston is not round when cold so there is more play and with more play there is more wear. It is not a simple process.

Good find. I've looked for a source for that story before and couldn't find one.

Googling "engine startup wear" its variously stated, including "50%" and "90%", with the latter the most popular, including on here. If those numbers have any basis I suppose they could be supported just by picking a different time interval to define "startup".

I note they say (without, AFAIK, supporting the statement) that most abrasive wear is due to dirt in the intake air and dirt in the lubricating oil.

"A form of abrasion may result from debris accumulated from various wear mechanisms. However, dust from the intake air or dirt in the lubricating oil probably causes most of the abrasive wear. "

It'd be interesting if the former is true, because I'd guess most people take air filtration for granted (in contrast to the interest in oil filtration) and it'd be fairly easy to improve, at least on an old car with plenty of room.

The latter is puzzling, since they make a distinction between "wear debris" and "dirt in the oil" implying that the dirt is either (a) in the engine from the start (b) comes in with the air (see above) or (c) was in the oil as supplied. I assume (c) doesn't happen with reasonable care (?) and its too late to worry about (a), so this also points to air filtration.

http://papers.sae.org/600190/

KALINOWSKI, M. and NEJDL, R., "STARTUP WEAR IN AUTOMOBILE ENGINES," SAE Technical Paper 600190, 1960, doi:10.4271/600190.

Radioactive piston rings. (Wouldn't measuring chrome do the job?) But abstract only. SAE ain't no charity.

Last edited:
Even if 75% of wear occurs at start up, it is really inconsequential. I have taken engines to well over 1 million miles and they still had plenty of life left. And they sat with engine off every night and were started multiple times a day. None of the engines got anything special in the fuel or the oil. I worry about start up wear as much as I do if we will ever do a manned mission to Mars.

i'm guessing not all engines have oil squirter's like the cummins does? just for info. i add tcw3 to my diesel to help lube.

Squirters aren't all that necessary for piston lubrication, the oil coming out of the big ends comes out in two "sheets"....plus there's a heap of oil contained in the rings on shut down.

TT, was just trying to find the basis for the oft quoted number.

It gels with an old timer telling me that the start was the equivalent of the next 6 hours of driving.

You know Castrol Magnetec claims to have clinging molecules that reduce start up and warm up wear. And here at bitog we have used oil analysis that seem to prove that out -there's a UOA on an Ecoboost engine that is stellar IMHO.

Is Castrol on to something?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Remember how lubing the engine works for the cylinders. The piston comes to a stop before changing directions[dwell at TDC as well as BDC]. Then add to that the combustion heat as well as pressures on the rings from the combustion as well chemicals from the combustion as mentioned. Also the richer fuel mixtures when the engine is cold. As well as the looser clearances because the piston is not round when cold so there is more play and with more play there is more wear. It is not a simple process.

Found another paper that you might be interested in

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00022470.1962.10468074

It shows the same time basis for ring wear from start to steady state, but is studying the effect of EGR on piston ring wear.

Due to a lot of what you have stated, reduction in peak cylinder pressure and temperature, 12% EGR had a positive (seriously positive) effect on piston ring wear.

So does this mean i should drive like a grandma for the first 6 minutes? lol , i guess it's good though that it takes me about 1 or 2 minutes where the engine is running to get out of my Garage since it's a big two story underground garage where all the people in my flat park their cars, and after that it's another 2 minutes of driving on a small street where the engine never gets above 2500rpm

FordCaprisDriver,
my preferred method of warmup is to drive it.

And keep the revs around 2,500-3,000RPM...by the time I leave town, coolant is nudging normal due to the increased drag from the cold oil against bearings and pistons in a regime where the oil is thick and providing parts separation.

I was leaving work the other day and got an important phone call in the carpark, and left the engine idling...longer than my normal leave town time, and the temp gauge didn't move.

There's a group om S. California investigating 2-stroke technology for gas, natural gas and diesel.

One of their engineers told me they switched to an ester based oil because it transfers heat from the piston rings to the cylinder walls better than other synthetic oils they tested. They've never run on dyno oil. For 2-stroke engines this is critically important.

He also stated that this ester based oil in their testing also lubricates better on cold start up and has shortened warm up times by 3% on their gasoline test engine. It also lowered the oil temperature when the test engine was completely warmed up and under load by 5F.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
You know Castrol Magnetec claims to have clinging molecules that reduce start up and warm up wear. And here at bitog we have used oil analysis that seem to prove that out -there's a UOA on an Ecoboost engine that is stellar IMHO.

Is Castrol on to something?

Magnatec is Castrol's middle class production line, it's not even their top range. The "intelligent molecules" fairy tales always seemed more like a commercial strategy to me than anything else. In fact what really works in that direction are esters - they are polar so they adhere to the metal surfaces impeding metal to metal contact on cold start (and not only), so group 5 oils are known to provide the best cold start performance from all oils available. By the other hand esters are known to have better thermal stability, so they stand the punishment of high temperatures better than other base stocks, making them very prized as an element in the composition of race oils. The only downside with them is their higher price.

Last edited:
I agree what i do is i start the car up and it idles only the time it takes for me to put my seat belt on and turn on the radio which is what , 5 to 10 seconds? in my Capri during the winter i'm a bit more gentle on the engine until i see the temp gauge starting to come up, in the summer it's 30 to 35c during the day so i'll drive normally

Originally Posted By: hatt
Sounds like they're making a case for UCLs.

That is exactly what I thought.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Even if 75% of wear occurs at start up, it is really inconsequential. I have taken engines to well over 1 million miles and they still had plenty of life left. And they sat with engine off every night and were started multiple times a day. None of the engines got anything special in the fuel or the oil. I worry about start up wear as much as I do if we will ever do a manned mission to Mars.

Thats because you start your engine and then run for a week, lol.

I have fewer starts per mile also.

I side with the driving to warm up vs idling. I have to cover a couple of miles of gravel road before I reach the highway whenever I leave the house, so that slower, light driving has the engine at full operating temperature before reaching the hard top. Far faster than a equivalent few minutes of idle time would do. I rarely let my pickup engine idle for more than a minute before heading down the driveway, and that is only so that oil is fully circulating from the startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back