Quick Lubes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
20160325_141407_zpsjqxhmvwc.jpg

Every dang time! This was on the Expedition; last time I couldn't service it and it was taken to a quick change place. I'm glad the oil pan was steel!

How do you cross thread an oil drain bolt? i mean you should be able to screw it on 99% by hand and give it a little tug with the wrench to make sure it was tight.

First and last time I jet a jiffyjumble touch one of mine the filter was torqued on so tight I destroyed it trying to get it out the next change. Luckily I was able to unbolt the filter mount from the engine and take it off in a vise on the bench. Want it done right do it yourself.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
How do you cross thread an oil drain bolt? i mean you should be able to screw it on 99% by hand and give it a little tug with the wrench to make sure it was tight.

They probably inserted the drain plug into the end of the impact gun and aimed + hammered it down

Originally Posted By: Donald
Do you think the gasket washer was changed?

Not sure, but I'm pretty sure the OEM style would have been rubber gasketed. I know the replacement I bought at NAPA had the rubber washer.

A guy I knew had his tranny fluid changed there and they never put anything in after draining! The guy got home and he checked it and it was empty, so he made the LOSERS come out to this house and fill it up.! I went to them with my car yrs later and they put to much oil in it! I had them drain it out. They also never put my sisters dipstick back in one time. I will never ever go there!

An independent shop that has mechanics and only mechanics working on the cars might be a better choice for an oil change. You'll pay more and it's for a reason.

The few dollars more might be worth the expense.

Another thing they like to do is put the wrong filter on the car. I used to commute about 120 miles a day to work, which ate up the miles fast and in those days I went to wherever had the cheapest oil change and was convenient. I would soon have a stripped drain plug on the car--garage or quicky lube, didn't matter. Price is not necessarily an indicator of quality in car repairs--it has to do with the skill and integrity of the people doing the work, and if you find a local garage that has those things it is worth it to patronize them and spread the word even if you do most of your own work. There is likely to come a day when you'll need them for something.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
An independent shop that has mechanics and only mechanics working on the cars might be a better choice for an oil change. You'll pay more and it's for a reason.

The few dollars more might be worth the expense.

I did it few times the last 10 years.

when I didn't have time and/or didn't feel like to do it I brought oil+filter to my mechanic, never problem. Never had my cars to a quick lube.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Give him the ban hammer for taking it to a quick lube.

Ha-hah!

The truck belongs to my grandmother, but I've been doing all the maintenance on it for a while. At the time it was 1,000 miles away in Mississippi before she moved back up in our area. It's slated to get a whole slough of maintenance before next winter. 150K and no leaks or rust. It's a keeper.

Never ever had that happen to me. But then again, I always change the oil and filters in mine and my daughters vehicles. Been changing oil for over 40 years now and never ever had to replace a drain plug. Worth the time and trouble to me. Although my back does irritate me every now and again. But not enough to take it to them.

I suspect it is better to let an OCI go 1 or even 2k past due than to risk a trip to iffy lube. Buy halfway decent oil and let it go even further, if need be.

Originally Posted By: supton
I suspect it is better to let an OCI go 1 or even 2k past due than to risk a trip to iffy lube. Buy halfway decent oil and let it go even further, if need be.

Yep. Even 4K miles won't harm the engine.

Originally Posted By: supton

This is why I went with Castrol Edge 0w30 (0w40 next time since my $2 stash got used up); cold weather performance and a robust package. The old Modular uses a little oil so something slightly thicker might help. Peeking in the oil fill it's clean enough to eat off of. It MIGHT see 3K a year. As cheap as oil is, it will still get yearly OCI's. Even at 80, she's not afraid to get on it, so it gets warmed up
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back