303 Aerospace protectant question

After reading a lot of good things about 303 AP, I finally got a bottle for my 2008 Subaru Outback. I noticed a short time after the initial application that the dash had a white residue and felt sticky. Thinking that I might not have buffed it well enough, I did a reapplication last year and buffed it out really well with a microfiber towel.

Fast forward to the present - the dash is once again sticky with some white hazing. Finally, my question is whether anyone has seen this problem with 303? My suspicion is that it's not the product - Subaru has sent a letter about defective dashboards and cracking & stickiness are mentioned.

Just looking for info to help with determining if I need to push for a new dashboard.

I also have had no issues with 303 on many vehicles.

Apparently, Subaru issued a letter stating they will take care of the issue:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.autos.subaru/dcL4vu_HDfM

I bought a bottle and used it without problems for awhile and nothing melty or sticky. I put it on outside plastics as well in the Arizona sun. But how do I know it is working? :)

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I think it's absolute junk. I wasted 20 bucks on a bottle of it one time.

Why is it junk? I've used it for years. It is a great UV blocker and keeps dashboards and venal trim looking new.

Been using it for the last 5 years on my Tonneau cover for the Ram. Still looks like the day I got it with 3 applications a year after a good wash.

I did get away from using it on my Tonneau simply because it rinses off and streaks the paint after a rain. Got away from it on interior because Meguiars M40 is cheaper and works just as well. But if I couldn't find M40 or it went up in price I would be plenty happy to use the 303.

BTW, I love their "Fabric Guard" for all types of things like boots and packs.

I have found it to haze over to a white - milky look if it is not wiped off real well. I use it a lot on my door rubber stripping to keep it from crackings as well as dash panels etc. Seems like a good product.

Thanks for the responses. I know that on the second application I took pains to buff it off as much as possible.

My suspicion is that the dash is exhibiting some of the issues they've sent the notices out on. I do recall that it was unusually difficult to remove the protectant (cloth kept hanging up on the surface).

Word is the dash has to be removed for the Takata airbag recall my car is subject to, so hopefully the dealer can address both problems together. I am going to get in touch with them shortly.

Ive not seen a haze to white. That indicates to me that there was too much product applied.

I have seen it be incompatible with certain soft touch/coated rubber items.

I have been using 303 on my 99 Miata's convertible top since I bought it used in 2001. My top is still in pretty good shape for being 17 years old. For much of that time the car has been outdoors in the intense Colorado sun. I did find that you need to use it sparingly. A little goes a long way. Use too much on a top and it will run/bleed in the rain.

Originally Posted By: GaryMX5
I have been using 303 on my 99 Miata's convertible top since I bought it used in 2001. My top is still in pretty good shape for being 17 years old. For much of that time the car has been outdoors in the intense Colorado sun. I did find that you need to use it sparingly. A little goes a long way. Use too much on a top and it will run/bleed in the rain.

Get some Surf City Garage "Top End" at Walmart. That's what I use on the Mustang's convertible top. I REALLY like that stuff!!

Originally Posted By: GaryMX5

Get some Surf City Garage "Top End" at Walmart. That's what I use on the Mustang's convertible top. I REALLY like that stuff!!

Thanks, will look for this Surf City Garage "Top End" when in Walmart for some oil.

I used 303 sparingly on S2000 top once or twice a year too, I let it soaks on the vinyl top for 20-30 minutes then rub it in with damp towel. The vinyl top looks like new after 12 years.

Originally Posted By: harrydog
I think it's absolute junk. I wasted 20 bucks on a bottle of it one time.

Why is it junk? I've used it for years. It is a great UV blocker and keeps dashboards and venal trim looking new.

Yeah - I don't remember ever hearing a negative comment on 303 - been using it a long time with outstanding results.

Back