A serious question about magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
So magnatec's whole thing is that it creates a sort of semi-permanent sticky film that bonds to metal and coats the inside of the engine so it doesn't fully drain back down when the engine is shut off, right?

Someone made an interesting point: wouldn't this also mean that half the stuff created by all the wear points gets trapped in the film at point of origin? ...and thus not show up on an analysis, making it look better than it is?

Originally Posted By: Quartz
So magnatec's whole thing is that it creates a sort of semi-permanent sticky film that bonds to metal and coats the inside of the engine so it doesn't fully drain back down when the engine is shut off, right?

Which engineoil does not do that?

Any oil can stick to cross hatchlings in the cylinder walls. That's why they are there. Magnatec is pure marketing hype by Castrol . Nothing more nothing less.

Maybe that Magnatec film is what turned into varnish inside the Volvo XC70 we recently bought for our daughter. It has run all it's life on Magnatec 5w30 with 7500mi OCI's. Looking back through the service records the entire PCV system was changed about 30,000 miles ago. Service note says, PCV System stopped up. Looking in the filler hole I see a fair amount of varnish. She's going to be on full syn very soon.

Originally Posted By: magnus308
Originally Posted By: Quartz

Which engineoil does not do that?

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Maybe that Magnatec film is what turned into varnish inside the Volvo XC70 we recently bought for our daughter. It has run all it's life on Magnatec 5w30 with 7500mi OCI's. Looking back through the service records the entire PCV system was changed about 30,000 miles ago. Service note says, PCV System stopped up. Looking in the filler hole I see a fair amount of varnish. She's going to be on full syn very soon.

I assume you mean Castrol semi-synthetic since 'Magnatec' has only been around (in the USA) for about 2 years.

My b-I-l bought a used 2005 Volvo S60 with 90K and it needs the 'pcv system' changed (I think they call it the 'flametrap' and it's an expensive job)....apparently those Volvo 5 cylinders will gum up the system if OCIs are extended beyond 4 or 5K on dino.....not a very good design, IMO.

PS: They burn oil if the pcv system is gunked up.

Flame trap on a 240 Volvo can be cleaned for free, or it can be replaced for less than $1.00. I bought a stack of them from FCPEuro for .90 cents each.

Maybe it has Lucas Oil Stabilizer put in it at the factory.
wink.gif

By the way, the Volvo Dealership charged $178 per oil change for this stuff and a filter. That's what the previous owner paid.
That's a "Stealer".

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Flame trap on a 240 Volvo can be cleaned for free, or it can be replaced for less than $1.00. I bought a stack of them from FCPEuro for .90 cents each.
If the trap on a B21 clogs the resulting pressure can cause a ream main seal to leak and oil the clutch if it's a manual.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Any oil can stick to cross hatchlings in the cylinder walls. That's why they are there. Magnatec is pure marketing hype by Castrol . Nothing more nothing less.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe they are using a polar synthetic ester in their blend. I don't think it's hype.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN

Did you ever stop and think that maybe they are using a polar synthetic ester in their blend. I don't think it's hype.

So, it only works north of the equator?.....haha

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW

I have very limited knowledge about blending engine oils.
But does not almost all engine oils have some polar ester content?

I see Castrols marketing with "Molecules that cling to the surface" in same way as if some oil manufacturer would write "oil that lubes" on their label.
A statement that can be applied on all engine oils.

According to Castrol, the Magnatec clinging properties whatever they are (probably esters) can still be detected on engine surfaces AFTER a subsequent OCI by a competitors oil.

Now I will be the first to admit Castrol's marketing is rather abysmal, but they still have to be able to back stuff like that up or they would be dragged into court by competitors.

As far as I know they haven't been. My personal experience with Castrol lubes in general has been very positive and that includes Magnatec.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
According to Castrol, the Magnatec clinging properties whatever they are (probably esters) can still be detected on engine surfaces AFTER a subsequent OCI by a competitors oil.

Now I will be the first to admit Castrol's marketing is rather abysmal, but they still have to be able to back stuff like that up or they would be dragged into court by competitors.

Where was you read that?
I have never seen Castrol make any official claims about that.

But i would not be surprised if that was true since there is still some amount of oil left in the engine after the oil have been drained.
So i guess its a statment that is also valid for most engine oils since there is always some oil left behind from the previous oilchange.

If you run Redline oil as example and then switch to Mobil im quite sure you will be able to detect molekules from the Redline oil on the engine surfaces, Nothing strange with that.

Last edited:
By the way, the Volvo Dealership charged $178 per oil change for this stuff and a filter. That's what the previous owner paid.

Holy cow that's an expensive oil change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back