Going to try Mobil Delvac 1300 15W-40, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of me picking up my normal Delo 400 LE 15W-40 that I get for $67 a pail. I would like to try Delvac I can get for $64 at CT. According to the PQIA, Delvac is a little thinner but the NOACK is a bit lower. With a smaller amount of friction modifiers than Delo. But it has an impressive TBN of 11. Am I overthinking this or am I just BITOG Crazy? Also heard that Delvac is better at retaining viscosity.

To me, this is what I see... Delvac vs Delo

Delavac - Lower Noack
Delvac - Higher TBN
Delvac - More Magnesium, (is this better?) I know magnesium costs more.
Delvac - Less Moly & Boron, Delo has 92/557 while Delvac has only 50/73
Delo/Delvac Both CJ-4 / ACEA E9. I need a E9 rated oil.

Link to PQIA HDEO Chart.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated HDEO 2015.html

If you are trying it for the heck of it, go on. You'll not notice a difference. Stop at McD and get a dollar cheeseburger and a coffee with the 3 dollar savings.
If you don't really need the 3, continue on with the Delo that has been working for you. Either oil is fine.

I have used Rotella, Delvac and Delo in my wifes 7.3 and there is virtually no difference in the uoa numbers between the 3 oils.

Yep, Walmart Canada's oils are not the same as Walmart USA's oils. There's nothing wrong with our version up here, but if one is looking for certain specifications, one will be out of luck. Of course, for those who need a basic, CJ-4 15w-40 in a pail, even I have to endorse Walmart Canada's house brand.

Farmer, Delvac conventional 15w-40 should be just fine. I like the product, too. The Audi used to get a fair bit, as did the F-150 before the rebuild. In retrospect, it should have gotten the SuperTech stuff, but I had no place to store pails at the time.

I just bought two pails of Delvac 1300 10W30 to try out in a Cat C7 engine. I was pleasantly surprised at the price Noco Lubricants charged me - $56 per 18.9l pail, including enviro charges. For the past few years I have been buying Rotella 15W40 on sale at Canadian Tire, assuming that Noco would be more on Delvac 15W40 and that they could not match C Tire sale prices. My mistake. Should have checked with Noco.

Originally Posted By: George7941
I just bought two pails of Delvac 1300 10W30 to try out in a Cat C7 engine. I was pleasantly surprised at the price Noco Lubricants charged me - $56 per 18.9l pail, including enviro charges. For the past few years I have been buying Rotella 15W40 on sale at Canadian Tire, assuming that Noco would be more on Delvac 15W40 and that they could not match C Tire sale prices. My mistake. Should have checked with Noco.

I'll call Bluewater on Tuesday to see what they can do for me. Should be cheaper than the retailer.

While Canadian Tire isn't as nuts on 5 gallon pails as they are on other products, it's still not that challenging for a distributor to beat them, and Noco is fairly well regarded.

Lordcos pricing is pretty nuts.... $95 for 5 gallons of Rotella T. I don't think I have Noco on this side of the Rockies.

Delvac is great oil. I usually run Delo, but anytime I can't get it easily for the price I want, in goes the Delvac
smile.gif

Hi, Farmer!
I'm running Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 in my Semi truck, which has a 500 HP pre-epa Detroit Series 60 motor, and no complaints from me. I've also ran Delvac Elite 10W30 in it during the colder Winter months for easier cold startups. I've had excellent results with both the Super and Elite versions, very little consumption with either.

I live in Utah, and Chevron Delo 400 LE seems to be the regional favorite there with my fellow Owner-Operators. Delo is an excellent product in my opinion, -as is Rotella-T.

I've driven for companies that used each of the big three brands, and I can't think of hearing about any oil related engine failures, -aside of a few situations where a fellow driver or two wasn't checking their dipstick. -Ouch!

I personally chose Delvac Super for my Semi because it's the cheapest of the big three brands at my local Walmart. My Detroit seems to be happy with Delvac, so I'm staying with it.

As everyone has said, the Delvac should be fine. Yes, you are overthinking this, but this is what we do here, so proceed with enthusiasm.

Former BITOG member, the late "Stinky Peterson" (RIP) operated the oil analysis labs for Butler CAT in the Dakotas. He taught me the following about HDEO oils:

- After analyzing 1,000's of HDEO UOA's, even he could not choose a silver bullet. Simply too many variables.

- You cannot determine oil quality looking at VOA's. One example he always told me regarded TBN. You want to look at the finishing TBN, not the starting TBN. A 9 TBN oil could end up higher at the end OCI than an 11 TBN oil due to quality of the TBN components. It's that simple.

Once you accept these simple principles, you can continue to choose oils based on emotional reasoning vs. subjective reasoning without guilt. DAK has it right.

Have fun.

I've been doing a few quick cleanout OCIs with Delvac 1300 in a couple of older gasoline vehicles. Like how it turns dark in a few hundred kms, seems to be cleaning something previous oils missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back