First Camry Problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I've been waiting for this day to happen, the day where SOMETHING had to happen to the Camry. It was getting stale there for a while, 7 months & 13,500 miles and it was just too boring with nothing wrong with the car! Well, other than getting rear-ended and the corner taken off a couple weeks ago.

I noticed these past couple days that the car was loud when I was wide open throttle, like it had a CAI on it or something. I ignored it but then today I decided to look under the hood. Who ever would have thunk that an intake tube could dry rot out from the heat and just break off? Weird. Also there was a hole in the tube lower down, who knows how long that has been there. And the other problem! The heater hoses are seeping... Tisk tisk.. After 16 years & 208k miles, I guess I'll give it some slack.

So, time for some heater hoses and an air intake tube, maybe I'll get the tube from a junk yard. Not sure, haven't looked it up yet. I taped it for now.

2hd8p00.jpg

33ndllg.jpg

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
ohhhh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! there goes toyota's rep!
I know, it's ready for the scrap yard now... Must be all that horsepower LOL
crackmeup2.gif

I took off the broken end of the hose and stuck the rest of it on there. Couldn't get the hose clamp on there. Oh well, it should work for a day or so.

I looked on Amazon and Ebay and the hoses they sell, say they only fit American made Camrys, mine was made in Japan. I guess I'll have to head to the junk yard.

Did you use metric tape from Harbor Freight? You know Toyotas use metric tape and you can get it for $4.53 with the 20% off coupon, that's $8.12 less than the dealer, assuming you haven't been banned from there.

I've used "goop" to glue together air boots. But you should be able to get 2 of those from a u pull it for like 10 bucks.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Did you use metric tape from Harbor Freight? You know Toyotas use metric tape and you can get it for $4.53 with the 20% off coupon, that's $8.12 less than the dealer, assuming you haven't been banned from there.
Lol!

But I can order one on eBay, are those any good? How does it compare to the Dorman ones? Are the Dorman ones any better? I heard Dorman makes good parts. I found some metric glue at Harbor Frieght and I was wondering if I could make a mold for the hose out of glue that I bought at Harbor Freight for $3.27. I thought of getting the glue at Home Depot because it was $2.99 but I paid the extra money.

How does junk yard parts compare to eBay parts? I brought a #3 Philips screwdriver for taking off the air tube to the junk yard but it didn't fit, it was too big. So i found a screwdriver set at the dollar store for $1, what a bargain!

Since I'm banned from the dealership, do you think they'll fix my car if I ask nicely? I hope they don't turn on the A/C while driving my car so the compressor doesn't wear out.

BTW to other readers of this post, the above in this comment was a joke.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would probably buy new if possible. A junkyard part might have the same issue.

Me too. Heat and time killed that part, the junkyard part might very well be on its last legs.

If you are a true BITOGer, you should be worrying as to how much dirt has been ingested in the engine because of the broken intake tube.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If you are a true BITOGer, you should be worrying as to how much dirt has been ingested in the engine because of the broken intake tube.

That's what would be bothering me.

Ozone attacks rubber, even under the hood. I would use a light spray of Meguiar's with antiozinant under the hood. it's too dry under there

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
01_celica_gt said:
I looked on Amazon and Ebay and the hoses they sell, say they only fit American made Camrys, mine was made in Japan. I guess I'll have to head to the junk yard.

I am pretty sure that just means for models sold in America. If the part looks the same it is probably good. Are there not any intake tubes available at the closest autoparts store?

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
01_celica_gt said:

I am pretty sure that just means for models sold in America. If the part looks the same it is probably good. Are there not any intake tubes available at the closest autoparts store?

Not necessarily.
I ordered a pcv valve from RA for my 2008 Corolla and it didn't fit....it turned out that my American (actually Canadian I think) built Corolla takes a slightly different pcv valve than a Japan built one. The color of the 'tape' on the threads is the key....the Japan built Corollas take the pcv valve with the pink tape on the threads while the NA built ones take the blue tape.....go figure.

PS: I just replaced the OE Denso Iridiums with NGK Iridiums and between this and the new pcv valve the car feels just that slight bit more responsive. The original plugs looked great @ 96K...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Rubber, plastic - deteriorating in Phoenix,AZ? That's a head scratcher.

+ 16 years of year-round summer.....

+2 that's like 64 years worth in NE Ohio.....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Nick, you'd better do a UOA and see if you've hurt that engine.. if the silicon is high you'll probably have to ring it.
I'll do a UOA for sure. Pennzoil sent me the oil to UOA in my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back