When do you change your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder. I run GTX HM 5w30 with Fram ulta. I change 4000-5000 miles. I see some people at like 10+. Am I throwing money away changing it to soon?

That's probably a good interval giving it conventional oil. I have plans to take the Jag to 7k-8k miles on conventional since it has a 7.5 qt sump, but we'll see if I actually follow through. That's a once a year change for me but even running synthetics I haven't let it go that far. Something always happens (long trips, car sitting long periods of time following lots of driving, maintenance issues that prompt a change.) Hey, it's a Jag, no one has ever accused them of being reliable!

I change mine every 5k, my old Chevy 1500 got it every 7.5k but it had close to 400k miles and it never hurt a thing.

It really depends on a few factors.
-The type of oil used (I did see you mentioned it this is just in general)
-The type of engine (some are easy on oil some are not)
-Your driving habit/driving condition (5k highway miles is a lot easier on the oil then 5k city)

Personally I think 5k is a good number for conventional oil. Depending on where you drive and your average trip distance there may be life left there may not be. Just depends on the factors listed above.

1 year or 5K miles whatever comes first. On occasion I'll go longer than a year with my van, depending............

Last edited:
Great question.

I like a 5,000 mile change using a top shelf conventional oil.

Stretching past that would require a top shelf synthetic.

But I'm not a member of the 10,000 mile change club.

A 10,000 mile OCI using an oil like M1EP might be the new norm here on BITOG.

But a fresh oil change just makes me feel good.

And 10,000 miles is a long time the way I drive.

For a good while I was doing 3k OCI's. Engine still had quite a bit of varnish when the Valve cover was off. (I bought the car with 126k so previous owner may have not been good on oil changes) After I noticed it still had varnish anyways, I started going to 3500 or 4k. Now, I am running synthetic and would like to go 7500 to 10k, but my oil is turning straight black around 5k with Castrol Edge. It stayed pretty golden on Mobil 1. So mine vary, but are generally around 5k now days.

My jeep gets about 2k miles at most due to lots of high rev offroading on conventional

Bmw goes 7500ish i run it hard all city driving

Kia goes 5000-6000 on conventional city and hwy mix

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick with what I'm doing I was just reading some post and people where talking 10k to 15k miles that just seem crazy to me. I don't think the oil is so expensive that you need to run it that long in my opinion. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted By: jxthomps
I have a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder. I run GTX HM 5w30 with Fram ulta. I change 4000-5000 miles. I see some people at like 10+. Am I throwing money away changing it to soon?

I change every 5K with M1 synthetic.

It's easy to remember, because the ODO is always at, say, 5000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000, 25,000 you get the idea.

This method has worked wonders for me. 330,000 miles on my truck can't be wrong.

If I'm not mistaken GTX HM is a blend, no? If I'm right then the consensus here (or at least as close as you can get to a consensus on this forum) is that you could probably run it all the way out to 7500. Then again i wouldn't be a part of that majority because I've been changing my syn blends at 5k but I enjoy changing oil for some dumb reason.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to deal with the 20 quarts of synthetic 0w30's I have from the last AZ clearance. I will probably grit my teeth and try to run them 8k.

If I were going to invest in a UOA I would probably man up and run 10k+ but again I like laying under my vehicles watching the oil drain out. Also get some odd satisfaction from watching new clean oil glug-glug down through the fill hole.

Last edited:
I use the Oil Life Monitor but I think it is conservative. When using conventional oil I take it down to minus 30, and minus 60 when using synthetic. Always use cheap oil.[store brands]
7,000 to 15,000 miles is the usual mileage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back