Low SAPS and engine protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
higher viscosity and full saps for more demanding conditions... I would go with that to remove all doubt.

0w30 is better for short distances because it would reduce fuel consumption, esp on an engine not fully warmed up.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
yes, miles as this is used more often on the board.

See, Europeans and Canadians on a board with a primarily U.S. membership is a recipe for confusion.
wink.gif
I contribute to this significantly by using whatever units strike my fancy when I post.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
yes, miles as this is used more often on the board.

See, Europeans and Canadians on a board with a primarily U.S. membership is a recipe for confusion.
wink.gif
I contribute to this significantly by using whatever units strike my fancy when I post.

I'm European (although perhaps not for much longer) and I'm very happy with miles. Litres and both types of gallons I can also cope with as that's a simple conversion and I've spent my whole life having to do similar mental arithmetic. For example in the UK we buy fuel in litres and our roads are measured in miles. I have never come across a single person that uses Miles per litre to express fuel consumption. We all multiple by 4.546 to get it to gallons. The one thing I can't cope with at all is expressing fuel consumption in the double conversion of L/KM. If I see such a figure I have no mental picture of what it means. They could be talking about a RollsRoyce or a mini and I would have no clue and never will have.

We had to deal with both types of gallons for a while, and still do on occasion, but the Imperial gallon is essentially dead here. I can live with miles, though. Of gallons, though, I'm no fan.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Today I decided to ask Castrol Germany the question why their lube adviser suggests mid SAPS ACEA C3 oil for my Nissan instead of Full SAPS.

I've been researching the Liqui Moly lub adviser and the same thing happened there: it suggested mid SAPS ACEA C3 and obviously I decided to ask the same question to Liqui Moly in Germany
smile.gif

Their reply was rather quick (the same day, I think Germans are very efficient, I never saw the same behavior in Switzerland when sending e-mails to companies) and they said the following:

1. Full SAPS will provide better wear protection and therefore they recommended two oils for my Nissan (Special Tec LL 5W-30 and Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40)

2. If I do short distances I should use Special Tec LL 5W-30, otherwise if I do long distances I should use Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40

Well, this was quite clear conversation and they did not [censored] me trying to upsell low/mid SAPS oils.

Maybe with their own product, but the Total C3 oil I'm using provided better than average wear in my engine which calls for full saps oils.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back